ATF temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Silverado WT

With an ambient temperature around 80 - 90 F , what is " normal " temperature ( not towing ) for this truck with the small V-8 ? 130,000 miles , mostly level ground , ay 70 - 75 MPH ?

Thanks ,
Wyr
God Bless

I believe our Suburban runs around 150-170 on the interstate (we drive down 95 to Florida every year - about 80mph). It has a 4L60E and is equipped with the tow package which includes a transmission cooler.

Last edited:
With my smallish aftermarket tranny cooler on my 2013 Silverado 4.8 I'll get like 165 or so at 70 mph at that temperature. Lower temps at lower outdoor temps. If it's coolish outside it keeps a pretty steady 150. However, in the city, with the Silverado's extremely stingy energy-saving algorythm thermostatically controlled fan, I routinely hit 190 in heavy traffic regardless of outdoor temp (just due to lack of air over radiator/tranny cooler).

Mine runs in the mid-190s can go over 200 on upward inclines. I'm planning on getting a trans cooler to get this down.

My pickup had a thermostat from the factory and seems to run around 200f

The truck in my signature if I let it get to operating tempature is about 196-198, that is either for city or highway driving. It takes a long time to get to that temp but once it does it stick right there. I have a factory transmission cooler.

My 2008 LT 4x4 with the 5.3 and 4l60E runs about 160-170 most of the time.

I just drove it to Mississippi 2 days ago. My temp stayed around 160-165.

I do have the Tow package with a factory cooler. Running synthetic Dex-Vi

Last edited:
My 44RE in my Jeep passes through the radiator's heat exchanger and then into a pretty large transmission cooler. My temps on my digital gauge say 150F unloaded going down the interstate and the highest I have seen it is 185 towing almost 6500lbs which is the max rating of the jeep.

Most of the Chevy's I have driven/rented with 4L60s and 4L80s operate between 150-175.

Last edited:
This truck only has the factory cooler ( in the radiator ) I suspect .

Tools , tool boxes & materials , probably 1000 pounds of extra weight .

May occasionally pull a lift or a Ditch Witch , but probably less than 1% of the time .

God bless
Wyr

The '93 6.2 GMC 4L80E once hit 210F, but it usually runs 170-180 unless towing in hot weather. Has the factory in-radiator cooler, aftermarket Hayden air-air cooler, & B&M oversize aluminum pan.

This topic has been discussed on the truck boards. It seems the transmissions run about 100 degrees over ambient temperature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back