2015 Camry 4 cyl antienvironmental oil burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Take them to small claims. Just because the dealer sets the standard at 1000mi per quart doesn't mean the general public accepted standard is the same. This car will have a poor resale value because of that. Sue for value lost.

He will have to sell the car in order to prove the value lost.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Take them to small claims. Just because the dealer sets the standard at 1000mi per quart doesn't mean the general public accepted standard is the same. This car will have a poor resale value because of that. Sue for value lost.

He will have to sell the car in order to prove the value lost.

No he won't.

small claims isn't going to get you anywhere. After you make your gripes to the NHTSA, in maybe 10 years, after a class action lawsuit is settled, you'll finally get a measly check.

So up to you whether you want to do the heavy lifting and complaining or ride the coattails of some other folks that will do the griping for the class.

If you want to get out, sell the car, you can always truthfully claim your car is considered covered by powertrain warranty and within spec by toyota.

Wonder how Honda handles this with the oil burning claims with the VCM engines? I have a VCM V6 that does not burn oil. If it starts to, what do I do?

page 395 in the owners manual 1.5Liters between low and high marks

I'd do another oil consumption test. VERIFY its not above the high mark before they seal it.

Drive around with High RPM. not anything crazy but higher than normal.. it wont "pass" next time.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Run it out of oil. Keep a jug of ol' oil in the trunk. When it seizes, fill her up and then tow it to the dealer.

^ ^ ^ This!! ^ ^ ^

Maybe a little off topic but sister has a 07 TC Hybrid and it was burning oil. I switched out the old PCV valve with a new one and it's stopped burning oil since. About 1L/1KKM

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Run it out of oil. Keep a jug of ol' oil in the trunk. When it seizes, fill her up and then tow it to the dealer.

^ ^ ^ This!! ^ ^ ^

Won't they be able to see the engine was run out of oil?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

Yes they will. If the dealer changes the oil on a new 2015 car, you shouldn't have to raise the hood up until the next oil change. Obviously, the subject of this thread would never make it.

Originally Posted By: Rand

I'd do another oil consumption test. VERIFY its not above the high mark before they seal it.

Drive around with High RPM. not anything crazy but higher than normal.. it wont "pass" next time.

I'm assuming the computer records data about how the car is driven. Doesn't it? What does it record?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

Yes they will. If the dealer changes the oil on a new 2015 car, you shouldn't have to raise the hood up until the next oil change. Obviously, the subject of this thread would never make it.

This dealership rotates the tires every 5,000 miles and tops off the oil. They told me that 90% of their customers never check the oil. I'd use about 3 1/2 quarts in 5,000 miles and the engine only holds 4.6 quarts of oil.

^ ^ ^ This!! ^ ^ ^
None of THAT data, of course, will remain in the engine computer for Toyota to extract. Oh no.

Originally Posted By: WayneandAnna
Originally Posted By: Rand

I'm assuming the computer records data about how the car is driven. Doesn't it? What does it record?

They don't plug into the OBD port though for checking oil level do they? I suppose the ECU will store something like maximum rpm, maybe average RPM and average throttle position but I doubt that. Also the average value has to be determined over a short time period for your moderately elevated revs to matter.
Storing millions of data points on your inputs and car system parameters probably isn't done on a production vehicle I'd assume. I doubt they include much extra memory since its probably not cost effective for even denying warranty clams.

Since most of this thread contains helpful hints on how to cheat, it's no wonder the car companies are so hard on warranty claims.
I suspect a defective valve seal on #4 cylinder. Not a big repair. I have an I4 Camry which has been using about a quart in 4000 miles for 150,000 miles or so with T6.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Since most of this thread contains helpful hints on how to cheat, it's no wonder the car companies are so hard on warranty claims.
I suspect a defective valve seal on #4 cylinder. Not a big repair. I have an I4 Camry which has been using about a quart in 4000 miles for 150,000 miles or so with T6.

Auto manufacturers, and in this case Toyota are cheating their customers by telling them that a brand new vehicle can burn 1qt per 1200 miles and that it is perfectly normal. It is not.

And keeping the VW emission scandal in mind, I wonder if there is anybody out there that would bother to actually measure the emissions on a brand new car that burns so much oil. I would really like to see the results of that test.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Is there a way to test for a defective valve seal?

does this car have sport shift? If so, keep the gears in low gears to create engine breaking. The vacuum from engine breaking will accelerate oil consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back