M1 vs M1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shrooms is correct. They are nearly the same price at my Walmart.

Take a look at the VOA's for both.

The difference is they designed the EP oil to be suitable for longer drain intervals by using selective additives and base oils and in probably higher concentrations.

It is said that EP has more Group IV base stocks.

It should be noted that EP does not protect BETTER than regular Mobil 1, simply longer.

People like to use EP and change it out every 6K miles as they think it will protect their engine better, that is not the case. They are spending more money to make themselves feel better.

Originally Posted By: stchman

.... They are spending more money to make themselves feel better.

You're exactly 100% correct. And that's what makes the world go 'round.

Eliminating the "feel good" parts of life would make for a boring day. 7-Eleven would go out of business. The clerks at the local mom-and-pop liquor stores would have to learn to speak English and sell something that's legal to purchase with an EBT card.

I'd be willing to bet that Mobil could market an EEP for a few bucks more a quart and it would sell. It would be an excellent oil but very few would put it to the test, very few.

I use a 0w-30 oil because it costs the same as the same brand 5w-30 or 10w-30 oil and it makes me feel good, even in S. California. If feeling good was not very important some of us would still be driving the kind of car we need instead of the one parked out front.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
EP has more POA base stock.

This is not always the case. For example if you compare the MSDS of M1 5w-30 and M1 EP 5w-30 you will find that the PAO (not POA) is 20%-30% for both. This is also true of the 5w-20 in both. The only formula of the EP that has significantly more PAO is the 0w-20 vs AFE 0w-20.

So while there may be some formulation differences in the base oil, it isn't significant in all but the 0w-20 viscosity.

I think it's more than safe to say that M1 EP has more Group IV than M1. It also has more detergents and dispersants.

There is a widespread misconception on BITOG that synthetic oil doesn't protect better but it protects longer. This is like saying that if you eat better food, you won't be healthier but live longer. It's just absurd.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
MSDS is a document for safe handling of a chemical. I would consider the values approximate at best.

This is correct, and it is only showing base stocks and not the additive package. But every time M1 EP is mentioned on BITOG, one of the first comments is that it's better because it uses a lot more PAO in it than regular M1 and with the exception of 0w-20 there is nothing available to support that claim including the MSDS. But PAO alone does not make a longer lasting oil. There are possibly other base stock differences as well as almost certainly a stouter additive package that will provide protection for extended OCI's.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Originally Posted By: stchman

.... They are spending more money to make themselves feel better.

You're exactly 100% correct. And that's what makes the world go 'round.

Eliminating the "feel good" parts of life would make for a boring day. 7-Eleven would go out of business. The clerks at the local mom-and-pop liquor stores would have to learn to speak English and sell something that's legal to purchase with an EBT card.

I'd be willing to bet that Mobil could market an EEP for a few bucks more a quart and it would sell. It would be an excellent oil but very few would put it to the test, very few.

I use a 0w-30 oil because it costs the same as the same brand 5w-30 or 10w-30 oil and it makes me feel good, even in S. California. If feeling good was not very important some of us would still be driving the kind of car we need instead of the one parked out front.

When it comes to what the engine in your vehicle needs, your feelings are still irrelevant.

I guess the 0W in the oil you use is to help protect from the -20F that southern California gets on a regular basis?

While automobiles have a "feel good" portion in the way they look, handle, shine, etc., those are tangible things that we can see and feel. What oil does is to protect the inside of the engine, something we cannot see or feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back