Carquest oil filters now available at AAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen this here yet. I can hardly contain myself guys!

I have seen their air filters and other branded products before, but AAP now has Carquest oil filters. Availability for certain models at my local store is hit and miss, but they did have the spec'd filter for my Jeep. I was hoping to get a few 9688 equivalents for the little Kubotas, but it was sold out locally.

I dont know if they are Champ or WIX made, but I'd use either with confidence. The price was $3.69 before codes. It'll be much easier adding "fluff" to an order with these things on the shelves now.

Now all they have to do is replace the DW with these!
laugh.gif

* I used TJG13 for $10 off $30 btw guys.

Last edited:
I just took them a bit longer to get their oil filters on the shelves compared to other products.

Just checked and sure enough they have the red in stock for my GM 3.1 at $3.69. No blues yet.

Last edited:
I see the CQ red filters are now available for our vehicles at AAP per the AAP web site but no the CQ blue filters (not yet anyway).

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I haven't seen this here yet. I can hardly contain myself guys!

I have seen their air filters and other branded products before, but AAP now has Carquest oil filters. Availability for certain models at my local store is hit and miss, but they did have the spec'd filter for my Jeep. I was hoping to get a few 9688 equivalents for the little Kubotas, but it was sold out locally.

I dont know if they are Champ or WIX made, but I'd use either with confidence. The price was $3.69 before codes. It'll be much easier adding "fluff" to an order with these things on the shelves now.

Now all they have to do is replace the DW with these!
laugh.gif

* I used TJG13 for $10 off $30 btw guys.

Donaldson now makes carquest filters, excellent build and quality.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Red vs Blue

What's the difference?

blue = (nitrile) puro classic, fram EG, napa silver
Red = (silicone) Pure1, Fram TG, napa gold

my guess is microgaurd will eventually be replace with carquest blue.

thanks for the info...

Would this be considered the 'red' version?

765809101241_OUT.jpg

$(KGrHqRHJE8E-vUM27SJBPurBSH9GQ~~60_35.JPG

...although i see this is nitrile as well.

Originally Posted By: volk06

Isn't the "red" the cheaper version?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Yea; the Red is or used to be the Wix equivalent of a Napa Silver and Oreilly Microguard - metal end caps, coil spring, and a rubber combination bypass/ADBV.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Filters are made by Champ Labs. Here was a long thread on it, among many:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3563707/CARQUEST_Red_and_Blue_filters_

I was incorrect before, it is not donaldson I had the wrong name in my had as I just received a shipment of donaldsons. It is now baldwin NOT champ that makes carquest filters. That change happened earlier this year.

Here is the video. Are you sure they changed again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-goqCKNhWn4

I just went down to my local Advance, and I bought a CarQuest red filter R85036. These have just come in stock in the last couple weeks at my store. They were not on the shelf. The reason they were not on the store shelves was because the filter is for commercial accounts, so it's behind the counter.

The date code on mine was A52253= Greenville, OH 8/13/15 third shift.

I hate to say it, but this is the worst filter threads that I have ever seen on a filter, and I mean ever. There was a small shaving of metal left on the threads, but it came right off. Closely looking at the threads, there are visible nicks in all the threads. I am not sure if this filter would thread properly without some resistance, and then I would not trust it. That metal shaving would have gone right into my oil if I had not seen it. Highly disappointed in the QC.

Apparently Fram/Champ is making this filter, so if you guys want this filter for inspection, then just let me know. I will hold onto it for about a week, and then take it back to Advance.

Last edited:
Yay! Glad to see AAP is starting to carry CQ filters, even if only the red for now.

The don't carry the R84356 yet.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

yea , TGIF. I can't seem to win today lol.

should be
red = (nitrile) puro classic, fram EG, napa silver
blue = (silicone) Pure1, Fram TG, napa gold

Must have different manufactures for the red and blue lines.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
I just went down to my local Advance, and I bought a CarQuest red filter R85036. These have just come in stock in the last couple weeks at my store. They were not on the shelf. The reason they were not on the store shelves was because the filter is for commercial accounts, so it's behind the counter.

The date code on mine was A52253= Greenville, OH 8/13/15 third shift.

I hate to say it, but this is the worst filter threads that I have ever seen on a filter, and I mean ever. There was a small shaving of metal left on the threads, but it came right off. Closely looking at the threads, there are visible nicks in all the threads. I am not sure if this filter would thread properly without some resistance, and then I would not trust it. That metal shaving would have gone right into my oil if I had not seen it. Highly disappointed in the QC.

Apparently Fram/Champ is making this filter, so if you guys want this filter for inspection, then just let me know. I will hold onto it for about a week, and then take it back to Advance.
Got a picture? I was curious about the Reds, looked superior to the Ecore & orange Extra Guards.

Well I decided not to wait, so I took the first CQ red back to Advance, and they said yes the threads were messed up. They had one more R85036, so they took it out, and it looks just fine. I guess the first one I got slipped through QC.

I weighed the filter, and it weighs 10.6 oz which is really hefty compared to other filters. ACDelco Classic PF52 weighed in at 9.7 oz. and a Wix 51036 weighed in at 9.8 oz., and a Fram PH3980(range can) at 9.2 oz. just for comparison. The date code on this filter was A50683.

Since the ACDelco PF52 is being phased out for the ecore, I guess the CQ red filter will be my go to filter from now on. At $3.69, it's right at $3.00 cheaper than a Wix, and I don't do oil drain intervals past 5k miles.

@bullwinkle

I took it back, and I got one with good threads. Don't know what's on the inside besides what I have seen on the net, but weight wise it is heavy duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back