Wix 51356 Cold Weather Failures??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever experience this with any Wix oil filters?

Customer comment below ;

I work in the aftermarket automotive parts industry, and after evaluating the differences in oil filters offered from Walmart (usually Fram) I've settled on the Wix brand due to its superior build and filtration qualities. It may be unfair to compare Fram to Wix since Fram is clearly a low-price brand, the difference in Wix's superiority is more than worth the difference in price (about $3.) I've seen Wix's advantage in its other filtration products too, so I only use Wix for cabin & air filters also in the Honda Odyssey (every time I get an exact fit).

Amazon Prime saves me 45 minutes of not having to drive to the auto parts store. This is extra time I can spend with my family which makes me a 'Happy Dad'!

IMPORTANT UPDATE: This filter's seal failed me in an extreme cold situation, so I've switched to the Mobil 1 M1-104 Extended Performance Oil Filter.

One day when we had -15F temperatures in the winter of 2013-14, I noticed that the oil started leaking badly from the filter upon start-up. Thankfully I noticed it and shut the motor down right away. I looked at the filter, and the oil was leaking badly around the base (on the Honda Odyssey, it is mounted upside down). I checked to see if the filter was secure (it was) and I started it again only to have the same leaking problem. I use full synthetic Mobil 1, so this wasn't an issue of the oil being too viscous on cold startup.

A local Wix representative was very courteous and tried to answer my questions and even gave me a replacement, but the same thing happened on another cold day. My conclusion is that this wasn't a one-time filter failure. I was chatting with a counterman at a local auto parts store about it, and he mentioned that he only uses Mobil 1 especially in our climate. He was formerly a quick oil change technician, so he has a lot of experience with filters.

Comparing the Wix and Mobil 1 filters, I noticed the metal backing of the mounting gasket isn't very strong on the Wix. My unscientific conclusion without tearing the filers apart is that the Mobil has a much stronger metal backing on the gasket and won't be compromised in cold temperatures. The Mobil 1 also uses an O-ring. Sorry... I wish I would have taken pictures of the 2 filters.

We had more days of -15F weather after I made the switch (some were -20F), and the new Mobil 1 held up great.

If you live in the north and are using Wix, watch out for extreme cold use. Otherwise I recommend using Mobil 1---I almost learned the hard way. I can't change the star rating, but I would drop it down significantly based on my near-catastrophic failure due to the Wix seal leak. Hope this helps you!

I am having trouble understanding the article. Is the guy tightening the filter properly? Like with motor oil university I just don't read and believe.

"Amazon Prime saves me 45 minutes of not having to drive to the auto parts store. This is extra time I can spend with my family which makes me a 'Happy Dad'!" This parts sets the radar off.

Yeah it does sound like an infomercial with that line.
I ask only as I have a new stash of the same model for a Mitsu I have yet to try.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
That Odyssey might be supposed to be using a 57356. The base plate is slightly different.

If this is true and the wrong filter is being used, how can it be WIX's fault?

Thanks- that makes me feel better and I went to Wixs website and
they list that model correct for my CUV. It's getting cold here and I don't need a fiasco. Thanks all!

Had leaks on EJ with Wix and Puro, but they were from the base gasket - usually distorting do to over torqueing. Highlky Doubt it was a can to base crimp issue. That's why I run a P-gasket filter when possible. Most all Japanese cars runs this same filter form factor.(ex Toyota). The OP is wrong about the base plate stamping thickness being and issue; IIRC Fram is the lightest Ga here. Wonder if the author's oil pump bypass is sticking? Also possibily MORE likely the oil was misformulated. That's been seen before.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
That Odyssey might be supposed to be using a 57356. The base plate is slightly different.

If this is true and the wrong filter is being used, how can it be WIX's fault?

The person might have had an out of date application guide. My G37 was supposed to use the 51365 (short version of the 51356) up to the 2012 or 2011 book, or around that time. Then, it got changed to the 51358 (short version of the 57356).

In any event, while I prefer to follow the spec, I will use whatever is available of the other three filters if the 51358 is out. I've used the 51356 a lot of time, in our cold weather, far colder than -15 F, and with 5w-40 and 5w-30, and without any concerns.

It sounds like someone had some bad luck or had some other issues, as to which ARCO alluded.

About a year or so ago we changed from purolater oil filters to Wix filters (we buy in bulk with two other shops and so far to date we have not had a single quality issue with Wix filters although it never gets that cold here in NJ
We chose Wix because of their good build quality and flow rate..
Could it be a problem with the engine or maybe double gasket? Im sure it can be the filter also but like i said we have been buying wix for a little over a year and so far no problems.. Keep us informed and maybe monitor the oil pressure in that engine that could be the cause. Call Wix and run it by them again and maybe check to see if they have an updated filter.

Last edited:
If the name on the filter was Fram, there would be a whole lot of article believing going on by the Wixites. From now till eternity, all Frams will be rumored to bust open and leak. Just maybe they bust is enough to say. But it wasn't Fram on the can. Pretty funny.

Never had a wix (Napa gold or Napa select) fail in a Canadian winter. Sounds like he used the wrong sized filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
If the name on the filter was Fram, there would be a whole lot of article believing going on by the Wixites.

I wouldn't be. I've never seen a Fram pop upon at the baseplate or anything strange like that, and we've never heard a bunch of stories like that about any filter. What we have here is a third-hand anecdote, at best, and a bunch of people (myself included) spitballing at the possible cause.

I had one baseplate leak in all the years, and it was some jobber filter - never even paid attention to the name - on my brother's taxi. I told him to get a proper Motorcraft and come back while I clean up the stupid mess.
wink.gif

Sounds like a lie to me.

I have never an oil filter on any engine leak.

Either this a is a trolling post or someone doesn't know how to tighten an oil filter.

Did he put a little oil on the seal?

When tightening a filter I make it as tight as I can with my clean bare hands.

Last edited:
OP states location Maryland and -15 degrees. I live in Baltimore, and even last winter I don't think it got that cold here. I am not sure if it even gets that cold in Western MD, where is is colder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back