Engine (top) covers - your opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BRZED
Clearly, but knowing that I might not hear the faintest hickups would make me all paranoid!

My point as well.

Quoting this because I suspect a lot of people missed it:

Originally Posted By: mehullica
I work for Lexus & can at least speak on the LS460 engine covers in the above pics. They direct airflow to reduce drag & reduce turbulence which causes noise inside the passenger cabin. The help keep air from underneath at high speeds from being pulled up into the engine area & keep it flowing out the back of the car. All the undercarriage heat shields are dimpled like a golf ball to reduce drag also

very few engine covers (the one's on top of the engine) are for air flow dynamics.

You could use the engine cover from the Pentastar in our 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan for a personal flotation device or a comfy seat. It's packed with soft squishy foam. NVH reduction I presume. It pops off real easy. No tools required.

Id rather see a plain Jane NA V6 than an engine cover. Whether they actually help with noise is debatable.. some of them are just plastic shells.

Passive noise reducing ear muffs are simple plastic, sometimes with small foam inserts.

Whether to reduce injector click or cam noise etc. it is reflecting some noise to stay in the engine compartment. It can reduce the dust/dirt accumulation as well.

For sure it "dumbs down" a confusing looking engine bay highlighting an engine dipstick and fill cap for those less mechanically inclined.
For those that are inclined, a piece a plastic that is easily removed is a personalized modification that they have no problem making.

I'm convinced they're for looks. Any other reason (sound deadening) is just a spin on the concept. I worked for an auto manufacturer that had an office of people called the "underhood appearance group." Parts had to be redesigned so they don't look funny when the owner opens the hood. The cover cures many ills.

They do trap heat that the engine needs to shed. Underhood heat has gotten worse over the decades. I rarely hear of a car that runs too cool.

I recommend taking the cover off and putting it on the shelf until you go sell the car.

Mine is sitting in a corner at the moment. lol I'm thinking of putting it on for the winter, and removing it early next spring. I like the look of the engine better w/o it, but I do think it might be beneficial during the winter months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back