Drivers in China intentionally kill pedestrians

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is progress I guess:

Quote:
In April a BMW racing through a fruit market in Foshan in China’s Guangdong province knocked down a 2-year-old girl and rolled over her head. As the girl’s grandmother shouted, “Stop! You’ve hit a child!” the BMW’s driver paused, then switched into reverse and backed up over the girl. The woman at the wheel drove forward once more, crushing the girl for a third time. When she finally got out from the BMW, the unlicensed driver immediately offered the horrified family a deal: “Don’t say that I was driving the car,” she said. “Say it was my husband. We can give you money.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_p...a_s.single.html

Not limited to China. From the article:

Quote:
After one near-miss of a motorcyclist, he said, “If I hit someone, I’ll hit him again and make sure he’s dead.” Enjoying my shock, he explained that in Taiwan, if you cripple a man, you pay for the injured person’s care for a lifetime. But if you kill the person, you “only have to pay once, like a burial fee.” He insisted he was serious—and that this was common.

Quote:
the compensation for killing a victim in a traffic accident is relatively small—amounts typically range from $30,000 to $50,000—and once payment is made, the matter is over. By contrast, paying for lifetime care for a disabled survivor can run into the millions.

It is also not uncommon to see pedestrians take a dive into a car and feign injury in hopes that they'll get a continuing paycheck out of the ordeal.

I guess Chinese people yell in English.

Properly worded, many US behaviors might appear similarly absurd and disturbing.

Last edited:
I was in China and Taiwan in August and cars drive very close to pedestrians and bicycle and scooters than we do here in the USA. I never saw anyone driving reckless or trying to injure anyone. It's dangerous enough on the roads there, especially in China. I could drive in Taiwan but the idea of not stopping to make a left hand turn and trust that people will stop for me is not something I could get used to doing.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

It is also not uncommon to see pedestrians take a dive into a car and feign injury in hopes that they'll get a continuing paycheck out of the ordeal.

Sounds like Florida.

Sounds like China is full of pedestrians and traffic congestion. Not a good combo.

Originally Posted By: Benito
This is progress I guess:

Quote:
In April a BMW racing through a fruit market in Foshan in China’s Guangdong province knocked down a 2-year-old girl and rolled over her head. As the girl’s grandmother shouted, “Stop! You’ve hit a child!” the BMW’s driver paused, then switched into reverse and backed up over the girl. The woman at the wheel drove forward once more, crushing the girl for a third time. When she finally got out from the BMW, the unlicensed driver immediately offered the horrified family a deal: “Don’t say that I was driving the car,” she said. “Say it was my husband. We can give you money.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_p...a_s.single.html

Not to make light of this, but the driver may have read Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes, a novel in which a crazed man drives his Mercedes successullly, if you want to call it that, into a crowd with the intent to kill and maim. Some people are easily "inspired."

My daughter works for a Chinese owned company in Cali, her immediate boss is a Chinese national. The part about paying for the victim's care for life is real, but I think she also told me the driver, if at fault, has to pay survivor's care as well if someone is killed and has children, etc.

B.S. story on Slate.

I've been in China and while the streets are very congested, and very scary for an American, The only accident I have seen was a car that fell in a sink hole.

The streets have wide side walks. The bicycles and small scooters have their own lanes on major thoroughfares. It's generally very safe if you know the written and unwritten rules.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Sounds like China is full of pedestrians and traffic congestion. Not a good combo.
Obviously China is full of "personal injury lawyers".

in most of the Asian countries if ya mow down a pedestrian the mob will probably pull ya out of you vehicle and burn you alive.

the story is not accurate.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
B.S. story on Slate.

I've been in China and while the streets are very congested, and very scary for an American, The only accident I have seen was a car that fell in a sink hole.

The streets have wide side walks. The bicycles and small scooters have their own lanes on major thoroughfares. It's generally very safe if you know the written and unwritten rules.

So you have been to every street in China and every corner of a country of 1 billion to see that the story is [censored].

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
B.S. story on Slate.

So you have been to every street in China and every corner of a country of 1 billion to see that the story is [censored].

Obviously not but I have seen the driver culture. The article presents it as a driver culture. That is B.S.

You are implying that I have not seen some isolated incident somewhere in some corner.

Isolated incidents are not culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back