Best CCW carry pistol ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an NRA instructor and member of the Assoc. of Defensive Shooting Instructors and teach basic on up to advanced classes and have also taken courses at Valhalla Training Center, I.C.E, Thunder Ranch. I only recommend a pistol with out a manual safety. The Glock, M&P, XD and Rugers are the only guns I recommend for a defensive pistol. You can debate this but in real life safeties get you killed. I see it in classes all the time when people F*** up the safety and fail to get the shot because of it. If you cant perform(get that safety off)in a class setting under little stress compared to a real world defensive shooting, you never will in the real world and now you are dead.

The single stack nines are easy to carry and pack way more punch than a .380. Lots of good options out there.

Glock 43
Kahr PM9/CM9
Walther PPS
S&W Shield
XD-S
Ruger LC9
I'm sure there are others. Check out 3 or 4 different ones and buy the one that fits you the best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win
^^^^^^^^ The SCCY is a double stack; at least mine is ....

True enough - thanks. But it is still in the same size category as the others listed.

Pick the weapon you shoot the best and stick with it. Shot placement is paramount, remember it's the Indian not the arrow that makes the difference.
Good practice makes a good shooter.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
The single stack nines are easy to carry and pack way more punch than a .380. Lots of good options out there.

Glock 43
Kahr PM9/CM9
Walther PPS
S&W Shield
XD-S
Ruger LC9
I'm sure there are others. Check out 3 or 4 different ones and buy the one that fits you the best.

I agree. 9mm ammo is always in abundance also and is dirt cheap. I used to carry a 380 and ammo was rare as hen's teeth,and when you could find it,it was always expensive.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Really like the idea of a concealable 45ACP.

In general, they are not pleasant to shoot. The small size leads to inadequate grip, and the light weight makes for fierce recoil.

A gun that is unpleasant to shoot makes for a training challenge, as shooters trend to avoid practice with them.

I love .45 pistols, but to make an effective CCW pistol, the shooter must be able to accurately, and rapidly, place rounds on target with the weapon in question....that takes practice, as well as a pistol that fits the shooter's hand, and with which the shooter is willing to practice.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Really like the idea of a concealable 45ACP.

In general, they are not pleasant to shoot. The small size leads to inadequate grip, and the light weight makes for fierce recoil.

A gun that is unpleasant to shoot makes for a training challenge, as shooters trend to avoid practice with them.

I love .45 pistols, but to make an effective CCW pistol, the shooter must be able to accurately, and rapidly, place rounds on target with the weapon in question....that takes practice, as well as a pistol that fits the shooter's hand, and with which the shooter is willing to practice.

I've heard that as well (I almost bought that caliber years ago). I remember that ammo being really expensive too (more than the 380 stuff).

There is not one best CCW pistol. Where exactly do you intend to carry it on your body? How big or small a person are you? How much weight are you willing to carry? I find the PX4 SubCompact with a 20 9 mm round magazine suitable for conceiled carrying all day. I wouldn't want to carry the full size Storm all day, but a bigger guy may not mind. Whatever pistol you choose and actually carry is the best one, because it's the one you have on you.

Okay, you guys are talking me into a 9mm instead. Back to the Glock 43, since I'm already familiar with the brand via many rounds through my 21.

Okay, you guys are talking me into a 9mm instead. Back to the Glock 43, since I'm already familiar with the brand via many rounds through my 21.

Familiarity is a plus, but do you feel compfortable with 6+1 rounds? If I were fine with just 6 rounds, I'd probably go with a snubnosed revolver instead of a pistol. Of course, you can just carry extra mags, or maybe there is a higher capacity mag available for the Glock 43.

Originally Posted By: BRZED

Familiarity is a plus, but do you feel compfortable with 6+1 rounds? If I were fine with just 6 rounds, I'd probably go with a snubnosed revolver instead of a pistol. Of course, you can just carry extra mags, or maybe there is a higher capacity mag available for the Glock 43.

It's just my opinion, but a G26 is only millimeters bigger and gets you 10 + 1.

Last edited:
Went with a Walther PPS 9mm.

Not the newest kid on the block but it seems proven and reliable and I like the way it looks, especially with the extended magazine. It is probably the thinnest of all the 9mm cc guns coming in at only 0.9" wide. I liked that as well since it will mostly be carried in an IWB holster, and occasionally when I'm on the Ducati in an interior pocket of whichever riding jacket I'm wearing.

Read a ton of reviews and comparisons. Wanted to like Walther's newest one, the CCP 9mm, but based on reviews it seemed a bit finicky about ammo and one reviewer had way too many malfunctions with it, plus I liked the looks and dimensions of the PPS better.

The PPS can also shoot the 9mm +P rounds, but maybe all other brands can as well I don't know.

Interested to set it beside my old Bersa Thunder .380 (PPK clone) and see how they compare size wise-- the PPS looks no larger than the Thunder.

The PPS can also shoot the 9mm +P rounds, but maybe all other brands can as well I don't know.

Pretty much all new 9mm pistols are rated to shoot +P ammo.

Originally Posted By: Doog
S&W jframe any flavor. .38 or .357

Doog, the PPS 9mm is en route to my preferred FFL dealer. I'm looking forward to picking it up once everything is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back