104 ton (metric) road train starts test period

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yle.fi picture

It's 33 metres long instead of normal 25,25 m module train. Interesting to see how the winter goes with these, normal module has a larger share of total weight on the drive axels. They are trying to increase efficiency with larger loads, road wear should remain the same as there's more wheels to distribute the mass. Won't be as handy in tight spaces as normal scandinavian timber truck though
smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25aJVeVYyhA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Some of the American truck drivers I've met couldn't turn that truck around in a lifetime.

Interesting, since it's really not made to turn around, but rather go down the road in a straight line.

You should see the logging trucks drive in Maine. That thing? Nope, nope, nuh-uh.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Some of the American truck drivers I've met couldn't turn that truck around in a lifetime.

Interesting, since it's really not made to turn around, but rather go down the road in a straight line.

Same with my car. That's why I find it ridiculous that they make you reverse in almost every countries road test. This is true for both light vehicle car and heavy vehicle truck tests.

Such an ignorant comment. I'm glad that you pointed that out because I have never seen a truck driver get lost or miss a turn and have to turn around. All of those YouTube videos that show trucks having to back up and turn around because they will hit a low bridge must have been digitally created. I've only must of dreamed of ever having to turn a truck around.

Cool story, bro.

Such an ignorant comment. I'm glad that you pointed that out because I have never seen a truck driver get lost or miss a turn and have to turn around. All of those YouTube videos that show trucks having to back up and turn around because they will hit a low bridge must have been digitally created. I've only must of dreamed of ever having to turn a truck around.

Yes, usually at the beginning and the end of the "road in a straight line" there are very challenging circumstances to maneuver the tractor/trailer(s) into position.

Michigan is one the very few states that have gravel trains. Those drivers tend to be very skilled and I have witnessed them BACKING UP the double units a quarter mile or more on construction projects that have no turn around area.

Numerous You tube videos exist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TWgpI1Ruow

It is hard to argue with the Australians regarding who has the biggest units.

You rarely see a COE tractor in the U.S. anymore. Hook a Peterbilt 379 or a Kenworth W900 to it and make the same move, then I'll be impressed!

Originally Posted By: holdorf333

Cool story, bro.

Go to a boat launch 4th of July weekend. Great stuff!

My father worked for a company that liked to do doubles. Apparently it was quite hard on transmissions and rear ends in the trucks.

Originally Posted By: Danno
On the mine is bigger than yours theme - try this on for size.
Everything is bigger in Canada - eh?

http://www.trucknews.com/sustainability/...wan/1001030661/

Total length is about 177' or 53 Meters.
GVW is 198,000 lbs or 90,000 Kgs.

I heard about this a while ago. My cousins passed one on the highway and were surprised when they realized they had an extra trailer to go. Lucky it was divided highway.
If it means a lower per unit cost of goods shipped I say have at er. Lots of bald prairie to turn around in.

I pull doubles here in western Canada, best trucking job I've ever had. Most of us are nightshift. Freight is picked up and loaded into trailers during the day and I get to hook up and haul the loaded trailers by night.

BTW, in Saskatchewan we can haul a variety of triples, but the department of transportation is not issuing permits for triple 48' or 53' trailers. I do not have the permit on hand with the exact lengths but I'm aware that in SK you can haul a 53' or 48' lead with two pups behind it, pups are normally 28' in length.

Here's a picture of my favorite old rig pulling a turnpike. This type of trailer combo is also nicknamed a "parachute" because of the extra wind resistance from having a van behind a deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back