Report of new Colorado Diesel mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still wondering when a long bed was only 6'2" long? That's shorter than the 6'4" short bed on my Ram, the lack of an 8' bed option would be enough to kill many of the W/T buyer's interest as is. Surprising GM doesn't consider a standard cab/8 foot bed diesel, I've seen a few new Colorados & Canyons running around, they would sell.

Originally Posted By: Xeno
Who cares about HP in diesel trucks? 369 lb-ft of torque is what matters.
I am loving my 440HP, but you are correct, it is the 860lb-ft that gets things moving...

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Rand
DEF is something like 13-15$ for 2.5gallons that lasts over 3000miles? Its sold nearly everywhere including sams club.
I bought 5 gallons of BlueDef for $37 and range depends on the vehicle. My PSD has about 2.3K on it now, the light will come on at 50%, but I have not seen it yet. My tank is 5 gallons.

Walmart branded (Supertech) DEF is less than $8 for 2.5 gallons. It is made in the USA and is API Certified which is Ford's only requirement for DEF. I will use that but I did order a Motorcraft fill spout as it has a seal to prevent spills which the Supertech spout does not have, I just hope it fits the Supertech bottle.

Last edited:
DEF is a non issue. Its inexpensive and as easy to add as washer fluid.

At the rate my '11 Duramax is using DEF,it'll cost me $200 in DEF to get to 100K miles.

I'm surprised the DEF systems aren't giving people more problems in light trucks and cars. Has anyone had one long-term? For big trucks, we have a lot of issues with this system. It just isn't reliable.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
DEF is something like 13-15$ for 2.5gallons that lasts over 3000miles? Its sold nearly everywhere including sams club.
I bought 5 gallons of BlueDef for $37 and range depends on the vehicle. My PSD has about 2.3K on it now, the light will come on at 50%, but I have not seen it yet. My tank is 5 gallons.
Walmart branded (Supertech) DEF is less than $8 for 2.5 gallons. It is made in the USA and is API Certified which is Ford's only requirement for DEF. I will use that but I did order a Motorcraft fill spout as it has a seal to prevent spills which the Supertech spout does not have, I just hope it fits the Supertech bottle.
I bought the spout as well, but have not needed to use it yet. The threads on the MC jug appear to be standard like most jugs that size so I am fairly confident the MC nozzle will fit the BlueDEF and Supertech jugs.

33.8 mpg in mostly highway driving without trying? That might be a high-30's or possibly even 40 mpg pickup in the hands of the right driver on the right route. And still likely getting mid teens towing a boat or camper on the weekends. Impressive for a US pickup truck.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I'm surprised the DEF systems aren't giving people more problems in light trucks and cars. Has anyone had one long-term? For big trucks, we have a lot of issues with this system. It just isn't reliable.

What kind of issues? Its a tank with a urea dfluid in it that gets injected in a metered fashion. This sort of thing is used the world over for other applications with really high MTBF/MTBO.

Sensors going bad, filters getting clogged, sometimes dash light comes on saying Regen Required (but forcing a regen sometimes won't help). Every one of these issues can shut you down to about 25% power with a top speed of about 25 mph. The Cummins guy said there were 17 sensors in this system. The problems pop up on newer trucks, but some of the older ones will break down and leave us with thousands of dollars in roadside repairs and wrecker bills, all totally w/o warning. All the maintenance has been done too, like the 250K filter cleaning, etc. A good 75% of all our breakdowns are related to DEF. Believe me, it's not reliable.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What kind of issues? Its a tank with a urea dfluid in it that gets injected in a metered fashion. This sort of thing is used the world over for other applications with really high MTBF/MTBO.

Agreed there...I've many workmates who want the economy of the diesel.

The average ones get the $20/qt stuff added at the dealer, the canny ones get the $4/gal stuff at the gas station, and work out how to fill the tank.

The emissions system, and now the VW debacle are two reasons why I won't own one. I really had my heart set a diesel too, I don't see it happening for me anytime soon now.

Don't discount it...

Look at the S.I. emissions systems before cat converters. They were all intake end, and made them run like a dog.

Cat Cons let them tune the engines, and get better mileage and performance, cleaning up the exhaust later.

SCR has been power station stuff (where needed) for decades, it's way better than heaps of EGR and intake deposits.

I don't see how 30+ US MPG is there in a 2.8 colorado, however.

DEF is something like 13-15$ for 2.5gallons that lasts over 3000miles?

Its sold nearly everywhere including sams club.

What captivates me is how folks who buy vehicles like this want to call them a "truck" but they don't act like it is a truck. One can fill up the DEF tank at a bulk pump at any truck stop area nowadays for under $3 a gallon for DEF. And the local heavy truck OEM dealerships are even better. The local Mack truck dealership near me sells DEF out of their bulk tank for $1.85 a gallon. They will fill cars, pickups, heavy trucks, etc. They don't care. When you need DEF, pull in, stick in the nozzle, fill up the DEF tank, pay a few bucks and go on for another few thousand miles. Simple and quick.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
33.8 mpg in mostly highway driving without trying? That might be a high-30's or possibly even 40 mpg pickup in the hands of the right driver on the right route. And still likely getting mid teens towing a boat or camper on the weekends. Impressive for a US pickup truck.

I think that can be true. My 2006 Jeep Liberty 2.8L diesel, the estimate mpg for it was around 27 highway. I could consistently break 32 mpg highway with it. I would get the estimated highway mpg just for my normal day to day stuff.

The more I have studied the 2.8L baby Dmax in the Colorado pickup, the more I am convinced that it is based on the 2.8L diesel the was in my Jeep Liberty and made by VM Motori. GM had a 50% share of VM Motori up till 2013. This 2.8L Dmax was in development and implementation in the other parts of the world before GM sold off their VM investment. That little VM engine in my Jeep had a design build of 300,000 miles for a B20 life. That says that only 20% of the engines should need rebuilding before 300,000 miles. Except for a few minor design changes, the GM 2.8L screams out VM.

If folks take care of the motor and drive it like a diesel should be driven, it will last a long, long time. Probably outlasting the pickup itself.

The MPG seems likely. A likely much heavier MB GL350 Blue Tec CUV my friend has manages 29MPG sometimes on highway with full time AWD and 6 of us inside.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
The MPG seems likely. A likely much heavier MB GL350 Blue Tec CUV my friend has manages 29MPG sometimes on highway with full time AWD and 6 of us inside.

Not so sure "heavier":
"the Duramax adds about 440 pounds to the Colorado’s curb weight compared with the standard 2.5-liter gasoline four-cylinder. That’s about 270 more than the V-6."
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-chevrolet-colorado-diesel-first-drive-review

Thats like 0.9 unit mother-in-laws extra blubber! At some point, weighing as much as an M1 Abrams may cut into performance.

Not sure what the curb weight of the Colorado with the baby Dmax is, but the Jeep Liberty diesel I had scaled at around 4500 lb, just the vehicle and fuel. And the Liberty was not the most aerodynamic ride on the street. Yet it still would get around 27 for the day to day stuff and 32+ for the highway trips with 2-3 people and full cargo area.

The actual cost of DEF may add between 17 and 20 cents per gallon. Depending on the vehicle and how it is operated. Not to mention the additional maintenance costs, which are substantial over time. As the systems do break down.

Put another way, a DEF equipped vehicle's owner should add 17 cents to each gallon of diesel to calculate direct operational costs.

Quote:
What’s also there is an integrated exhaust brake, a device also known as a “Jake Brake,” that uses engine exhaust pressure to regulate downhill speed without over-reliance on the four-wheel disc brakes.

Somehow I doubt that engine has anything resembling a Jake Brake. Perhaps automotive journalists still don't know the difference between an exhaust brake and an engine brake?

I drove a few hundred km in an Oz Colorado a few weeks ago.

The transmission shifted down when descending hills on cruise control, to try to control speed (very civilised)...wasn't an exhaust brake, the tacho clearly jumped as the gears were changed down.

I think with a 2.8 auto, 26MPG is upper end of the range, 'though...this particular unit doesn mostly highway (and that trip was mostly highway), and 9l/100km was the long term average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back