Help Locating GL-4 Tranny Gear Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I have a 2012 Nissan Versa hatchback with a 1.8L engine and a 6 speed gearbox. According to the owners manual the car is due for a tranny fluid change at 30000 miles. The specs are for a GL-4 fluid. Guess what the local auto parts stores do not seem to sell? How about the local Wally's World?....nope. The Nissan dealership wants $20 per quart for the OEM fluid, wow....really? More than likely while it is a quality product the fluid would cost $8 if it were sold at a parts store without the Nissan label on the bottle. If I am going to pay $20 per bottle.....I want some really good stuff. LOL
smile.gif

It would seem that I am stuck to buying from an online store. Amazon for example. I can get Redline for $17 a quart. There is Amsoil MTL but they want over $9 to ship two bottles of MTL. $9 shipping for that, really? I was in town visiting my dad who lived a few miles from the Amsoil warehouse. Guess what, you can not just show up and buy anything like a walk in parts store. You have to order and pay online. I had cash and was ready to buy the MTL on the spot but they would not sell it to me from the warehouse. Pennzoil seems to make the correct fluid but Amazon wants $30+ per quart for it and no store sells it locally. Napa, well they had no idea of the difference between the GL-4 and GL-5 spec and tried to sell me gear lube for a differential.
Where and how do I find the MTL for my car with a GL-4 spec, free shipping, and without a $30 per quart price tag? I tried Royal Purple and Mobil 1 and they claim via a phone call to not make a GL-4 fluid.

Originally Posted By: s1mp13m4n
Hello everyone. I have a 2012 Nissan Versa hatchback with a 1.8L engine and a 6 speed gearbox. According to the owners manual the car is due for a tranny fluid change at 30000 miles. The specs are for a GL-4 fluid. Guess what the local auto parts stores do not seem to sell? How about the local Wally's World?....nope. The Nissan dealership wants $20 per quart for the OEM fluid, wow....really? More than likely while it is a quality product the fluid would cost $8 if it were sold at a parts store without the Nissan label on the bottle. If I am going to pay $20 per bottle.....I want some really good stuff. LOL
smile.gif

It would seem that I am stuck to buying from an online store. Amazon for example. I can get Redline for $17 a quart. There is Amsoil MTL but they want over $9 to ship two bottles of MTL. $9 shipping for that, really? I was in town visiting my dad who lived a few miles from the Amsoil warehouse. Guess what, you can not just show up and buy anything like a walk in parts store. You have to order and pay online. I had cash and was ready to buy the MTL on the spot but they would not sell it to me from the warehouse. Pennzoil seems to make the correct fluid but Amazon wants $30+ per quart for it and no store sells it locally. Napa, well they had no idea of the difference between the GL-4 and GL-5 spec and tried to sell me gear lube for a differential.
Where and how do I find the MTL for my car with a GL-4 spec, free shipping, and without a $30 per quart price tag? I tried Royal Purple and Mobil 1 and they claim via a phone call to not make a GL-4 fluid.

First of all, the 75W-90 GL-4 Product from Amsoil is MTG. Yes you have to be Preferred Customer to pick-up at the Distribution Centers (they aren't stores), but if you contact me via PM I can tell you how it works and the BiTOG deal. Then you pay $11.45/qt + local tax and that's it.

Just for the record $9 UPS for shipping 4+ pounds of liquid isn't THAT crazy.

I don't recall how long GL-5 has been around, but it seems odd a 2012 would recommend GL-4.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I don't recall how long GL-5 has been around, but it seems odd a 2012 would recommend GL-4.

my guess for the GL-4 spec...

GL-4 certification addresses corrosion of brass and copper components thru a specified mandatory test while GL-5 testing does not mandate that particular test...can't tell ya why

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I got mine from NAPA. They had it on the shelf and it was less then $10.,,,

Sta-Lube?

Pennzoil Synchromesh-works awesome in a GL-4 application (like the xB in my sig), & it's not too slippery for correct synchronizer engagement. I used a more expensive dual rated full syn GL-4/GL-5 fluid (RP Severe Gear 75W90) previously & I thought my syncros were failing-it was TOO slippery!

I would check out a Versa forum, for the Focus, the Ford $20/quart stuff is generally thought to be well worth the money.
If you truly want to go dirt cheap, lots of tractor fluid is GL-4 rated and some gets down to $2-3 a quart. I was tempted to run it in my tracker transmission but never did bother changing the fluid again.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I would check out a Versa forum, for the Focus, the Ford $20/quart stuff is generally thought to be well worth the money.
If you truly want to go dirt cheap, lots of tractor fluid is GL-4 rated and some gets down to $2-3 a quart. I was tempted to run it in my tracker transmission but never did bother changing the fluid again.

I put a new clutch in my GTI a few months ago and refilled the transmission with Motorcraft XT-M5-QS fluid. It's very good. The bottle says made in Germany, so I'm guessing it's a real PAO synthetic. I got it cheaper at a Ford dealer than buying it on Amazon.

https://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-TransmissionFluids.aspx

Red Line (50504) MT-85 75W-85 GL-4 Manual Transmission and Transaxle Lubricant - 1 Quart $16.95 on Amazon

Nissan, Ford, GM, Mopar, Mitsubishi, nd Hyundai/Kia dealers have a GL4.

Synchromesh fluids are too thin.

Amsoil MTG, Redline MT85 or MT90, ... are easy enough to order online.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: s1mp13m4n
smile.gif

First of all, the 75W-90 GL-4 Product from Amsoil is MTG. Yes you have to be Preferred Customer to pick-up at the Distribution Centers (they aren't stores), but if you contact me via PM I can tell you how it works and the BiTOG deal. Then you pay $11.45/qt + local tax and that's it.

Just for the record $9 UPS for shipping 4+ pounds of liquid isn't THAT crazy.

According to the Amsoil website, Amsoil does not have the fluid for that particular transmission.

The OP should go to the dealer and buy their fluid.

Originally Posted By: JTK

The problem lies that a lot of GL-5 gear oil has friction modifiers and EP(extreme pressure) additives and those modifiers can cause some manual transmission synchronizers to not function properly. GL-5 is generally for differentials and GL-4 is more for manual transmissions. IIRC, GL-4 does not contain any friction modifiers or EP additives.

Nissan specs an ~ 10.0 cSt dedicated MTF, and most Nissan trannies do well with a GL-4 fluid with a 9.0 cSt to 10.0 cSt dedicated MTF such as:

Quote:
Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt

Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt

Redline MTL 75W80

Amsoil MTF (9.7 cSt)

the GM Synchromesh’s

Volvo MTF 645

Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic MTF (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)

Lodexol (Morris Lubricants) MTF

Quote:
GL-4 does not contain any friction modifiers or EP additives.

Non-dedicated GL-4 lubes do not contain the needed friction modifiers or AW additives for synchronized transmissions.

Dedicated MTFs, such as in the list above, DO contain the correct additive set and base oils for MTFs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back