Break-in additives and new engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: TheRuss
I'm not saying I think the car will break down if I follow BMW's guidelines, but BMW don't care how healthy your engine is, providing it doesn't completely fail.

Most on here would say to shy away from BMW's recommended 20,000 mile OCIs on this engine, but in reality it's unlikely that adhering to a 20,000 mile OCI will kill the engine, it just might not be as healthy in a few years as an engine that has had more frequent OCIs.

I haven't seen anyone provide proof of that other than paranoia.

I have seen people who have 300k miles or even 500k miles following BMW's extended OCIs.

A lot of BMW drivers are needlessly changing their oil IMO.

I can see why someone would want to change the FF early. Don't really see the point of changing the filter though. It's not going to get clogged or tear in a brand new car.

That's exactly what I'm saying though. I'm sure my engine would make it hundreds of thousands of miles on the factory OCI recommendation, but will it have more wear than an engine that has had shorter OCIs? Based on how the oil out of these N55s is after 7500 miles or so, one would expect that a car that has had shorter OCIs than the manufacturer recommended 20,000 miles would have less wear on it.

As such, the average person will likely be fine on the factory OCIs and probably never notice any actual problems. But if you're an enthusiast and want your engine to be in the best possible condition, perhaps it's wise to change it sooner than 20,000 miles...?

Sure, there's no "proof" that BMW doesn't care about how much wear my engine has, but it's reasonable to assume that they only care about it as far as it not breaking down within a specific period, so that they're not financially liable and so that their cars don't appear to break down earlier than those of competitors.

In all likelihood, the engine will eventually fail due to a flaw in the design of a part, not because of the long OCIs, but as an enthusiast that doesn't stop me wanting the "best" for my engine.

It's a bit like premium fuel vs regular. Sure, my car will run on the regular,cheaper stuff, but I still pay the extra for the premium for that extra couple of HP and supposed better cleaning properties. I'm obviously not the only one either, else they wouldn't bother making such fuels.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: TheRuss
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Too late; You did it now!

What oil went in? This is a largish sump is it not?

And expensive proposition with no perceived benefit?

Indeed, too late! I'm not worried about it being wasted cash - in my head I'm getting rid of any initial rubbish from the first running of the engine and bedding in of the rings, so I'm fine with that. I just don't want to be doing anything detrimental to the engine if it did happen to need break-in additives, and then I'd be asking what I can use/add to help that.

It is indeed a large sump - usually quoted at 7 quarts. There is also an oil cooler, which I doubt would have drained during the change. I added approx 6 litres and the oil computer shows the max mark (no dipstick on these motors either).

Edit: Castrol FST 0W30 Fully Synth (also known as GC on here I believe) went in, which is BMW's recommended fill, and I think what they use themselves.

What rubbish.
Oh the rubbish that sits in the oil pan that even if it did get suck up by the oil pump it gets filtered before it goes thru the oiling circuit.
That rubbish.

Anyway what does the manual say. Is there any reason to believe that an automaker like bmw has made a mistake in handbook and it shouldn't be trusted.

Honda is adamant about leaving the factory fill in for the entire interval. Does bmw say the same thing?
Last engine I helped with the builder used an assembly lube that was high in zddp and moly. So those extra anti-wear agents and friction modifiers end up becoming mixed in with the first oil fill.
In the grand scheme of things does it matter. I doubt it. The big deal is break in and the ring seal. I suggest motoman'so break in procedure. Easily found on the web.

Funny enough - the reason I dumped the oil so early and then was led to creating this thread is because of that exact article from Motaman. I drove the car hard(ish), but remained under the BMW recommended RPMs for break in, then as Motaman says, dumped the oil immediately after to remove any junk from this bed in process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back