Would you use this older synthetic oil in your car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some Quaker State "Q" Full Synthetic. 2006 is the trademark date on the label, though I don't think it's quite that old. Clear bottles, still looks good, but the older I get the harder time I have seeing at the molecular level. Still have two cars it would be at home in this winter. 10W-30 FWIW. Have other oil I can use that is newer. Just hate to waste. That said, I have lawn equipment that would love to have this oil in their bellies.

Was that the stuff that came in the clear bottles? In any case, use it up! My van only specs SL oil, so I'd even use it in that in a heartbeat. Lawn equipment will do just fine with it.

It might be actually better if it was before synthetic oil switched to Group III base oil.
45.gif

I would use it shake it up and you will be ok...I think i read in a blackstone news letter correct me if im wrong that someone at blackstone used some very old oil in their chevy truck and then did a uoa and everything was great.

At the Speed Shop here,we have 100+ cases of Mobil 1 from the Indy Car series of that era, dated 1989 and we use it in everything,even the newer cars and trucks in our fleet here, Nary a problem!!!!

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
At the Speed Shop here,we have 100+ cases of Mobil 1 from the Indy Car series of that era, dated 1989 and we use it in everything,even the newer cars and trucks in our fleet here, Nary a problem!!!!

Is it the old red cap stuff. Or the tri-syn. That's when Mobil was using high test basestocks and could be comparable to some of the best oils of today,though I'm not sure about extended drains.

The question is if you have other oil that's already bought that you'd rather use.

Otherwise that other oil is going to get old too, and you're in a vicious cycle of always using "stale" oil.

1) If you've got newer oil that based on your OCIs is only going to gather dust for 3years before you get to it, just start using the new oil and burn through your stash, and write off the old oil.

2) If it's the only oil in your stash, go ahead and use it before spending new money buying something else.

Last edited:
Good to know theindy shops use oil from 1989 in newer cars that may require sn.. Its those kind of shops that keep us in business... Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back