Dodge Charger Hellcat vs. Tesla Model S 4WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
What I don't like is folks who imagine they know what others are thinking. That betrays an interesting thought pattern that I do not agree with. I have no issue with Tesla, but I am unwilling to accept the compromises required to own one...

I don't know what you think, but I do read your post. They all seem negative towards Tesla.

I'd say it's more like he's open minded enough to realize that Tesla is the PT Bsrnum of the automotive industry while purporting to be it's Ghandi.

Originally Posted By: Benito
Not all 300's are cheap though:

http://www.obamas300c.com/

Ha. That's funny.

And no way is a 300 a gas guzzler. With mds the hemi gets 25 mpg no sweat and I've seen 30mpg on mine after tuning,no headwind.
So he Obama trades up for a hybrid that for 34mpg on the highway. Less room and comfort,and way less fun

Politics.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
What I don't like is folks who imagine they know what others are thinking. That betrays an interesting thought pattern that I do not agree with. I have no issue with Tesla, but I am unwilling to accept the compromises required to own one...

I don't know what you think, but I do read your post. They all seem negative towards Tesla.

I'd say it's more like he's open minded enough to realize that Tesla is the PT Bsrnum of the automotive industry while purporting to be it's Ghandi.

Who is Tesla fooling? How is he doing it?

Well, I don't know if he's quite PT Barnum, or if it's just Musk himself, but some people are getting a bit deluded. The City of Regina just had a council debate about installing electric vehicle chargers all over the city. We currently have eight electric vehicles registered in the city.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, I don't know if he's quite PT Barnum, or if it's just Musk himself, but some people are getting a bit deluded. The City of Regina just had a council debate about installing electric vehicle chargers all over the city. We currently have eight electric vehicles registered in the city.

It's chicken and egg. Too few EV therefore it doesn't worth installing chargers all over the city, too few chargers people don't want to buy EV or plug-in hybrid.

Oh, I agree with that absolutely. But, you'd think there would be more than 8 die hards, as it were, in this city, who would want to go forward with or without the help of the city. I'd be interested to see how an electric car would function in this climate. Maybe someone will through one on taxi yet. That would be a good test.

Who is Tesla fooling? How is he doing it?

Elon Musk is selling a dream through stunts and showmanship, and hiding the harsh realities and failures of his business.

The beaten, starved elephant in the room is that aside from selling a rich man's 7th halo car during a romance period under more government handouts than 50,000 welfare families, he really hasn't done much. In today's era, where owning a new electric car is the equivalent of having a wheelbarrow full of German money after WWI, he has got a long road to travel before Tesla is even half of what it makes itself out to be.

Everyone knows that his "affordable" model is the Sword of Damocles he sits under. If it doesn't make it, today's toddlers will one day be spraying graffiti on his long abandoned supercharger stations........the few he's actually built of the many he promised by now.

Elon Musk is selling a dream through stunts and showmanship, and hiding the harsh realities and failures of his business.

What stunts?

The beaten, starved elephant in the room is that aside from selling a rich man's 7th halo car during a romance period under more government handouts than 50,000 welfare families, he really hasn't done much. In today's era, where owning a new electric car is the equivalent of having a wheelbarrow full of German money after WWI, he has got a long road to travel before Tesla is even half of what it makes itself out to be.

Tesla gets criticized because it sells a rich man's car? So does Ferrari. Tesla takes advantage of tax laws, no different than any other entity in this country. They're not doing anything dishonest. GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, BMW, etc have all taken money from the US government. Why single out Tesla?
Tesla has big auto makers playing catch up. Tesla is a reliable, safe luxury car. Why not give them credit for that?

Everyone knows that his "affordable" model is the Sword of Damocles he sits under. If it doesn't make it, today's toddlers will one day be spraying graffiti on his long abandoned supercharger stations........the few he's actually built of the many he promised by now.

Dozens of auto makers have come and gone. It's no easy task to be a start up auto maker. Will it be a long term success? Nobody knows.

Tesla gets criticized because it sells a rich man's car? So does Ferrari. Tesla takes advantage of tax laws, no different than any other entity in this country. They're not doing anything dishonest. GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, BMW, etc have all taken money from the US government. Why single out Tesla?
Tesla has big auto makers playing catch up. Tesla is a reliable, safe luxury car. Why not give them credit for that?

I didn't say it was dishonest. What I'm saying is that Tesla doesn't exist without the handouts. The other manufacturers have proven their ability to operate at capacity standing on their own 2 feet. Tesla has never done this, and it's a major question if it ever will sell a sustainable product.

Tesla isn't rounding up all of this government cash by promising to build more Model S cars. He's promising to revolutionize the world through electric cars and build the electric car infrastructure. Given the current resale value of EV'S, I hope he's not getting a lot of sleep.

Quote:

Dozens of auto makers have come and gone. It's no easy task to be a start up auto maker. Will it be a long term success? Nobody knows.

Exactly. And given the height of Elon Musk's promises, compared to the actual level of his success in delivering them it's no wonder a person would be skeptical.

So far, all he's done for the world is build a better ivory back scratcher for the 10 car garage set. Hardly the revolution he is promising.

I didn't say it was dishonest. What I'm saying is that Tesla doesn't exist without the handouts. The other manufacturers have proven their ability to operate at capacity standing on their own 2 feet. Tesla has never done this, and it's a major question if it ever will sell a sustainable product.

Chrysler and GM wouldn't be here if not for the government. Other big companies have existed for years without showing profit. Why single out Tesla?

Exactly. And given the height of Elon Musk's promises, compared to the actual level of his success in delivering them it's no wonder a person would be skeptical.

So far, all he's done for the world is build a better ivory back scratcher for the 10 car garage set. Hardly the revolution he is promising.

What promises has he made that he hasn't delivered? You keep talking about stunts and undelivered promises, but have yet to mention anything specific. That's why the negativity sounds like sour grapes.

Other big companies have existed for years without showing profit. Why single out Tesla?

It hasn't been singled out. Plenty of companies have taken a rough ride in the media and on BITOG over this, particularly in the technology sector.

Chrysler and GM wouldn't be here if not for the government. Other big companies have existed for years without showing profit. Why single out Tesla?

Chrysler and GM started out as small companies that grew into much much much larger companies through successfully selling a relevant product. Anything they received from the government was due to having a 100 year history selling something that everyone needs. There's no question that people are going to buy motor vehicles.

Tesla is the new kid, selling an unproven idea that they can't make work in the form and scope they predicted. Very big difference.

What promises has he made that he hasn't delivered? You keep talking about stunts and undelivered promises, but have yet to mention anything specific. That's why the negativity sounds like sour grapes.

I didn't mention any specific examples, because I honestly wanted to see if you even knew anything about what's really going on in that company.

The Battery Swap stations that never happened.
The "mostly solar powered" supercharger network that never happened
The silly PowerWall solar battery system that Tesla realized too late doesn't save most people any money, and costs people money when they are deprived of the opportunity to sell their extra energy back to the grid

But don't focus on the fact that Elon Musk has again and again misjudged the market for his products. Let's watch the Tesla Racing Channel and watch it smoke some muscle cars..........and then smoke its motors because of regenerative braking.

I didn't mention any specific examples, because I honestly wanted to see if you even knew anything about what's really going on in that company.

The Battery Swap stations that never happened.
The "mostly solar powered" supercharger network that never happened
The silly PowerWall solar battery system that Tesla realized too late doesn't save most people any money, and costs people money when they are deprived of the opportunity to sell their extra energy back to the grid

But don't focus on the fact that Elon Musk has again and again misjudged the market for his products. Let's watch the Tesla Racing Channel and watch it smoke some muscle cars..........and then smoke its motors because of regenerative braking.

Clearly, you're an expert on Tesla.
The battery swap station was delivered, but people didn't take advantage of it. It was also made irrelevant by the super charging station. Some of which are solar powered. The power wall is still available, and I think it's a great alternative to a generator for those in sunny climates with solar panels. Was it ever promoted as a money saver? The only thing I read said it was for alternative power.
Was a Tesla racing channel promised, or is it more redirection and sour grapes?
So far, Musk's biggest crime is overestimating the need for the battery swap.

The battery swap station was delivered, but people didn't take advantage of it.

And you don't feel that funneling cash into a program that nobody wanted is a failure as a businessman or company?

Quote:
It was also made irrelevant by the super charging station.

The supercharger stations already existed at that time. He was promising to deliver something faster than a supercharger station, because Musk promised cross-country capability from the Model S, and stopping every 200 miles for 40 minutes a pop was plainly stupid for a cross-country trip.

It wasn't made a irrelevant. It was created irrelevant, because the entire program was a stupid, inconvenient idea that nobody wanted a part of.

Quote:
Some of which are solar powered.

But not the mostly solar powered supercharger network that was promised. A very small fraction, as a matter of fact.

Quote:
The power wall is still available, and I think it's a great alternative to a generator for those in sunny climates with solar panels. Was it ever promoted as a money saver? The only thing I read said it was for alternative power.

How is it a great alternative if you are both paying a load of cash to SolarCity, and losing your income from selling excess power back to the municipality? How long does it take being "off-the-grid" at night alone, to recoup $15,000 in batteries and installation costs, and supporting hardware? For the home that $15,000 in batteries would cover, you're talking about waiting beyond the service life of the batteries before your costs are recouped, and then you have to buy more batteries.

Quote:
Was a Tesla racing channel promised, or is it more redirection and sour grapes?
So far, Musk's biggest crime is overestimating the need for the battery swap.

No, it's just you falling in love with Musk and Tesla, having no idea what is really going on in there.

The battery swap station was delivered, but people didn't take advantage of it.

And you don't feel that funneling cash into a program that nobody wanted is a failure as a businessman or company?

Really? One bad product makes him a failure as a businessman and a company? Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs, two of the brightest minds in business have funneled money into duds. Are they also failures? Tell me again how making that leap isn't sour grapes?
Using this as the standard for failure, can you list a few companies that haven't failed?

Quote:

But not the mostly solar powered supercharger network that was promised. A very small fraction, as a matter of fact.

With more coming.

Quote:
How is it a great alternative if you are both paying a load of cash to SolarCity, and losing your income from selling excess power back to the municipality? How long does it take being "off-the-grid" at night alone, to recoup $15,000 in batteries and installation costs, and supporting hardware? For the home that $15,000 in batteries would cover, you're talking about waiting beyond the service life of the batteries before your costs are recouped, and then you have to buy more batteries.

reread what I said. Even in Ohio, I know people that have solar panels. For those people, it makes a great alternative. The people I know didn't invest in solar to save money. Some did it to make sure they always have power due to medical conditions. Having battery backup makes sense. I'm sure that's another bad idea from a failed billionaire businessman.

Quote:

No, it's just you falling in love with Musk and Tesla, having no idea what is really going on in there.

Infer much? I'm just giving credit where credit is due. He built a great electric vehicle, and he's providing the needed infrastructure. Something BMW, GM, Toyota and others haven't done.
People laughed at Toyota when they tried to compete with BMW and MB. Tesla's second car went head to head with them, and it was successful. I give Tesla and Musk credit for that. I have no delusions of him saving the world like you think I do.

Really? One bad product makes him a failure as a businessman and a company? Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs, two of the brightest minds in business have funneled money into duds.
Are they also failures? Tell me again how making that leap isn't sour grapes?
Using this as the standard for failure, can you list a few companies that haven't failed?

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs have also made a ridiculous amount of profitable products for their wildly profitable companies. Tesla doesn't make one. That company is entirely subsidized. The income of corporate welfare and borrowing from Peter to pay Paul is multitudes larger than the profits. Why do you keep comparing Tesla to companies that have actually succeeded and endured? It's not sour grapes. It's you being a lover and apologist.

Quote:

With more coming.

Are we again missing the point that Tesla is years behind schedule on making a mostly solar powered supercharger network, with no sign of meeting this goal in sight?

Quote:

reread what I said. Even in Ohio, I know people that have solar panels. For those people, it makes a great alternative. The people I know didn't invest in solar to save money. Some did it to make sure they always have power due to medical conditions. Having battery backup makes sense. I'm sure that's another bad idea from a failed billionaire businessman.

Who said Elon Musk is a failure? Tesla on the other hand is a furnace for cash. The only reason it's not a failure right now, is because Elon Musk keeps finding new ways to stoke the furnace.

Quote:
Infer much?

This coming from someone who who types nothing but "sour grapes"?

Quote:
I'm just giving credit where credit is due. He built a great electric vehicle, and he's providing the needed infrastructure. Something BMW, GM, Toyota and others haven't done.

And I'll bet you don't even know why this is. The only thing that infrastructure is needed for, is the Model S. With its massive batteries, and no ICE backup, it can't reasonably take advantage of the already-existing electric car charging network. BMW, Toyota, GM, and others haven't "provided the needed infrastructure" for the same reason why they don't build gas stations, refine oil, or ship fuel.

They know full well that that industry and municipalities have been and will be more than happy to get the job done. There's at least 30 standard electric car charging stations for every supercharger station for a reason. And you can charge any electric car at them; not just one particular brand, as with the Tesla supercharger stations. There's also the simple fact that most people aren't going to take their electric vehicle on a road trip anyway.

The utility companies (who currently supply power for almost all supercharger stations) could join forces with the oil companies and put up electric charging stations practically overnight if they wanted to. There's just no reason on the face of the Earth to do it yet.

Quote:
People laughed at Toyota when they tried to compete with BMW and MB. Tesla's second car went head to head with them, and it was successful.

There you go again comparing proven companies with Tesla (which is not). Toyota was not a cash burning upstart when it took on BMW and MB. They were one of the largest and most profitable automakers in some of the best economies on the face of the Earth. Even then, it learned a lot of hard lessons in failing to successfully take on the S-Class and the SL-class, which it has failed to do to this day. Let's not even get into their attempts to take on the M-cars.

Anyway, successful at what exactly? At succeeding to keep its doors open while bleeding money? It hasn't taken any significant market share, hasn't turned Tesla into a self-sufficient company, and hasn't met the goal of delivering an electric car that everyone can use. I don't know if you've taken a look at the production numbers of Tesla vs. the other companies, but they haven't gone head-to-head with anyone and succeeded.

Quote:
I give Tesla and Musk credit for that. I have no delusions of him saving the world like you think I do.

This is why I describe Tesla as the PT Barnum of the industry. They put on such a good show, that people forget that Tesla really hasn't done much to change anything at all. A nicer looking battery backup, a rich man's toy, a charging network to support that energy hog, and more batteries that other companies were already making.

Tesla demonstrates that time-honored fact that you can get a lot of cool things done when you can dispose of a lot of hard currency when selling a dream.

I actually take back my former assessment. PT Barnum made a lot of profit with his operation. Tesla has yet to equal that yet.

Its typical in this area for companies to not be profitable as they build products and market share, like Amazon.

Space X and Solar City are very profitable, Space X is on its way to corning the market in launching stuff and soon people in space.

If you read Tesla's business plan they are very specific about profitability and mass market vehicles. The Model 3 is the vehicle that will get them in the black, with the X and the S as stepping stones.

I have not seen any deviations from their business plan, wall street agrees with this and prices the company accordingly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back