which is the "best" oil.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
So to elaborate on what the title states; which brand of oil (whether in opinion or fact based statement) has the best/strongest reputation? Let me explain myself a bit more. In my opinion (because of what I've seen) Pennzoil Synthetics and Amsoil Synthetics are of the highest caliber. The reason for my statement is because those are really the only two companies that I've seen REALLY try to get their facts out there. Not just marketing, but their tests and observations on their blends etc. I don't really hear much from say, Castrol or Valvoline. [censored] Valvoline is even leaving the synthetics game altogether. All I hear from Castrol is "Magnatec will protect your engine and cook your breakfast for you"... Alright a bit of an elaboration but I don't hear them past their marketing speak really. I know Pennzoil is borderline marketing babble but they at least show their numbers. Amsoil has been really good at walking the walk. With that said I'd like to hear people's opinions on what they think the best oils are based on what research they may have found. And for those that agree with me on the Pennzoil/Amsoil point, which would you pick as being "better"?

Last edited:
The Mobil 1 line is well proven and I would bet as good of an oil there is. There are many top tier oils and probably the engine would never see any difference. Marketing works magic.

If I had to choose one brand for everything based on trust, it would be a close call between Valvoline and Chevron.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If I had to choose one brand for everything based on trust, it would be a close call between Valvoline and Chevron.
+1 Valvoline is great oil!!

honestly I've never really had any kind of issue that was oil related.

I've used any name brand or even cheap stuff.

my oil arsenal at the moment is Shell, Pennzoil, Castrol, Havoline, Valvoline, National and Super S.

and some rotella HDEO and chevron as well.

Here's a link to the best oil

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1664795/%22What_oil_should_I_use?__#Post1664795

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Here's a link to the best oil

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1664795/%22What_oil_should_I_use?__#Post1664795

Oh no don't worry about that my sig contains the only OCI metrics I'll be using for a very, very long time. This was purely for discussion.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Marketing works magic.

of course it does. I'm just curious as to why some companies push real numbers marketing very hard and others don't try as hard and their marketing is mostly fluff.

If I didn't have to pay for oil it would be redline all the way.

You're wrong about amsoil. Everything about them is marketing fluff. Sure they make a decent oil however it costs double,and no way is it twice as good.
I'm not really a Mobil fan however they too make a great product.
Pennzoil ultra and platinum are great products though I'm hard pressed to make a distinction between the 2.
I'm not a valvoline fan. Not that I have any problems with the product only that castrol,pennzoil,Quaker state and Mobil are what I find on sale,so I buy those.

The truth of the matter is every major producer has product lines. They are all
Comparable in performance. The boutique like to think they are better because they cost more however I haven't seen amsoil do anything by seeing a used oil analysis that Mobil and pennzoil can't do,for less money.
Not to mention amsoil isn't certified for anything. Meets or exceeds a certification does not make and we've seen data here where those meets or exceeds oils don't actually meet the spec based on the values posted
A certification means just that. Certified. And considering these certified products actually cost less than the meets or exceeds brands it's a no brainer to me.
Except redline. I know that basestocks only go so far however everybody I know that has a serious boost engine,huge cubes running 9s and the insane funny cars all alot of them redline.
Yeah they change the oil after every run on the funny cars but that's not the point.
I'm sure other products would do just fine in the first 2 applications however the guys who built and run their cars use redline for a reason.
I'm not saying every serious runner uses redline,just the locals I know. And they can buy any oil. They use what they feel is the absolute best.
I had never heard of redline til I started spending time at the track. The real track cars all ran it.
Now they couldn't care less about tbn or deposits or extended intervals. Their main concern was wear.

You're askng the wrong question.
There are many many brands that make some excellent motor oils. But I don't know of a single brand that also doesn't have some mediocre and/or unsuitable oils in their line up.

So forget about the brand and the marketing and choose an oil based on it's actual spec's and/or known performance.

The "Best" oil for me is Canadian Tire Formula 1 Synthetic 5W20.

1) Made by Shell.
2) Good enough for my 2x year changes.
3) Runs smooth enough.
4) "Synthetic" enough for the price only during CT Boxing Week sale.
5) Okay in Winter temps.

Pretty much the best of most worlds for my application. But only if purchased during Boxing Week up here in Montreal.

The 2nd "Best" oil for me is Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W20

There are just no negatives in running this oil. If the $9.99 Walmart sale on this oil wasn't so rare, this would be my #1 Oil by a WIDE margin for my application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Luisraul924
which is the "best" oil.........

There is no such thing. It's an entirely subjective question and has been beat to death on here.

For me it's whatever oil that meets the specifications my vehicle(s) require and is on sale when I'm ready to purchase and do oil changes. When I changed the oil in the pickup last weekend it was Havoline 5W-30.

The Best Anti-Virus program you can have is Linux. I've been 100% virus free since 2003 and I don't have any antivirus protection program. Started off with Slackware then Vector Linux and been using Sabayon Linux for 8 years.

Redline Oil and Schaeffer products are the best.
Mobil 1 is a solid starting point for oil and grease.

I agree with Amsoil being 100% marketing fluff. I have never ever thought or even considered about putting milk or Pert Plus shampoo into my motor until I saw those 1990s late night info-commercials by them. To me I see them as a 12 year old "leet" computer hacker that steals everything from the professionals and claims is as their own. The most recent is that they just found out about calcium sulfonate and its now in all their grease. The aluminum complex base is more water resistant than the calcium sulfonate.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
If I didn't have to pay for oil it would be redline all the way.

You're wrong about amsoil. Everything about them is marketing fluff. Sure they make a decent oil however it costs double,and no way is it twice as good.
I'm not really a Mobil fan however they too make a great product.
Pennzoil ultra and platinum are great products though I'm hard pressed to make a distinction between the 2.
I'm not a valvoline fan. Not that I have any problems with the product only that castrol,pennzoil,Quaker state and Mobil are what I find on sale,so I buy those.

The truth of the matter is every major producer has product lines. They are all
Comparable in performance. The boutique like to think they are better because they cost more however I haven't seen amsoil do anything by seeing a used oil analysis that Mobil and pennzoil can't do,for less money.
Not to mention amsoil isn't certified for anything. Meets or exceeds a certification does not make and we've seen data here where those meets or exceeds oils don't actually meet the spec based on the values posted
A certification means just that. Certified. And considering these certified products actually cost less than the meets or exceeds brands it's a no brainer to me.
Except redline. I know that basestocks only go so far however everybody I know that has a serious boost engine,huge cubes running 9s and the insane funny cars all alot of them redline.
Yeah they change the oil after every run on the funny cars but that's not the point.
I'm sure other products would do just fine in the first 2 applications however the guys who built and run their cars use redline for a reason.
I'm not saying every serious runner uses redline,just the locals I know. And they can buy any oil. They use what they feel is the absolute best.
I had never heard of redline til I started spending time at the track. The real track cars all ran it.
Now they couldn't care less about tbn or deposits or extended intervals. Their main concern was wear.

Really?

Amsoil isn't any more marketing fluff than your post. Or any other oil company. You love Redline. I have no problem with that, but you are just saying that from "feelings". Newton doesn't just single out Amsoil for his thoughts, substitute Redline in for Amsoil in his posts.

Amsoil has more certified products than Redline. You dedicate two paragraphs hacking down Amsoil on certifications, but because of feelings you give a pass to Redline. Not very logical. And pretty much every thread over and over you tell the audience how you used to use Amsoil and the price is high. So I just don't get that.

You say racers choose Redline because of wear. Please show us how they know Redline is better than others in wear? I always thought racing to be a balance. Wear is a given, winning is a dream. Racing is running that hairy edge, of finishing and winning. Lightness, but not overdesigned adding weight when talking structural parts.

Amsoil was doing million mile+ trucks long before it was popular.

Originally Posted By: 285south
I agree with Amsoil being 100% marketing fluff. I have never ever thought or even considered about putting milk or Pert Plus shampoo into my motor until I saw those 1990s late night info-commercials by them. To me I see them as a 12 year old "leet" computer hacker that steals everything from the professionals and claims is as their own.

What does any of that have to do with Amsoil? 100% marketing fluff??? I've been with Amsoil over 15 years now.........no failures, no fluff blowing up.

So bottom line there really is no best oil for every use, there might be a lube or three for an application that are indistinguishable, so it makes no difference which one to choose. I did NOT post in this thread to say Amsoil is the best, or Redline is bad. I rarely post in such threads, but sometimes the bull pucky gets a little too deep on BiTOG.

And the "best" question should not be asked without ALL the specifics of the application. I thought we had an agreement. Mods? Did something change?

Pennzoil and Valvoline have been tried & true for many many years & I feel they have a pretty good reputation the past 20 years or so. Mobil 1 is also very reputable & trusted. I will personally use almost any brand & won't have any worries whether it's Pennzoil, Mobil, Valvoline, Motorcraft, Castrol, the list goes on. I just stay away from the super cheap off brand stuff.

To answer your question, I'm going to agree with Caterham and say every oil lineup has a weakling or two.

But I'd go with either M1 or Valvoline and have a mix of viscosities and create any oil that I'd need.

If I was to choose M1, all I'd need is: M1 0w20 AFE, M1 0w40, and M1 0w50 Racing. With these oils, I can cover the bases for anything that I'd need oil for.

If I choose Valvoline, I'd want to have: VSP 0w20, Valvoline 10w30 and 20w50 Racing Synthetic (Black bottle).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back