General Altimax Artic Studded

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a Set of snow wheels and tires, I got 17" Rage R20's here is the link
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...&vid=029127 Then I got 215/55/17 Studded General Altimax Artic Tires mounted and balanced free when you buy the package. Has anyone used these tires in the snow and ice before? If so how did they perform?

Thanks Grambo

Im sure the consensus is that they are one of the best for the money. With that said, there are better tires but they are very good and you had them studded. Confident they will serve you very well.

From last winter's blizzard. Altimax Arctics in the middle of their first season. 185/65/14s on a Dodge Neon of all things, hence the snow crashing over my hood. It was me, snowplows, and XJ Cherokees on the road.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
No studs. Personal preference.

Is it too loud with studs?

Originally Posted By: Grambo
No studs. Personal preference.

Is it too loud with studs?

I don't like the noise and the floaty steering. Tried studs and they don't have anything measurable to contribute to the ice around here.

The arctics are not just a good snow tire they're an adequate cold, dry road tire.

So overall it's a excellent winter tire from your experience I like your video eljefino. Your allowed studs in new York from October 16th to April 30th so I didn't torque them on yet,I'm thinking around Thanksgiving time to mount them.

Thanks for the advice guys

From last winter's blizzard. Altimax Arctics in the middle of their first season. 185/65/14s on a Dodge Neon of all things, hence the snow crashing over my hood. It was me, snowplows, and XJ Cherokees on the road.
wink.gif

The Cherokees are pretty unstoppable in the snow. Mine won't go in 2WD but it will go anywhere in 4WD! Still prefer the Focus.

Those are great tires. Main downside is noise esp. when studded. And value when studded is not as good as unstudded.

IE the price you pay for the tire studded puts it really close to top tier studless tires.

They are really good in deep snow. Black ice traction is not as good as some studless tires. But much better than all-season.

Last edited:
Anyone Else have pictures of their snow tire and wheel setups?

Grambo

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Here is the Altimax Arctic (non-studded) on my 530i 16" Rial winter rims:
DSC_4424.jpg

Nokian Hakka R2 on wife's Q5 on 18" Rial winter rims:
DSC_6890.jpg

Great Pictures, how much did you pay for the Nokian's

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Dont quite remember now, but i think it was around $900 OTD.

Where did you get Nokian's?
I am getting X5 35d next month, and need to find good winter tires in that size. I can get Blizzaks V-2, but they come only in T speed rating, which might be too soft for X5.

Well, those nokians are only R rated, but i dont find them soft, as far as winter tires go. Its the SUV version. I got them from a local tire shop. You can find a list of dealers on nokian's website. There are a couple of online stores selling them as well. Discount Tire sells some models, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back