2002 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always used Mobil 1 in all my engines. Never an issue. I picked up a Mustang as a toy. The rear main seal leaks a bit. Leaks worse with 5w20. I put Mobil 1 5w30 and the leak has slowed down. After 5000 kms or 3000 miles the oil level was still at full. I just smell the oil when the car is idling a bit.

I've never used high mileage oil before. Is it worth trying? Pros/cons of high mileage oil?

Originally Posted By: FastLane
I've never used high mileage oil before. Is it worth trying? Pros/cons of high mileage oil?

I would try it. Mobil has a very good HM oil so stick with that. I had to replace a rear main on my 99 Accord. So try this first. I did use HM oil with that car when I noticed it consuming a quart of oil between oci's. Topped off with a quart of Valvoline MaxLife and no more oil consumption.

Yes, put in the 5w30 HM. How many miles does it have on it and how do you drive it? Mine has around 128k on it and I drive it hard, always have. The HM will work fine in it without any issues. Though if it's a std trans I'd get that rear main fixed sometime soon.

It has 170,000 kms on it. That's about 102,000 miles. I don't drive it too hard. The engine is in great shape. I bought it off an old man. I just don't want to pull the transmission.... But I am picky. Don't like oil leaks!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Run 10W-30 Valvoline MaxLife in it. Contrary to popular belief, 10W-30 is NOT a thick oil.

I'll Second the Maxlife. However i would go with the 5w30 Maxlife full synthetic since the OP is in Canada.

Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 or Valvoline Full Synthetic with MaxLife 5W-30 are my top picks. Other good options would be Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend 5W-30 or Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30, I prefer to stick with a blend or full syn though. High Mileage oils would likely slow your oil leak & possibly even make it go away over time. Give it a shot.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
I looked and all I can find is Mobil 2000 HM. No Mobil 1 HM.

Where are you looking? Walmart has Mobil 1 High Mileage in 5W20, 5W30, 10W30, etc, etc. Full selection. Every Walmart I've ever been in has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back