90 Second oil change?.... Castrol nexcel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember something similar being marketed years ago. Like electronics they are an idiots offering.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Would you really want to use somebody else's old core?

I go to junkyard for parts, so what's the big deal? It's not like they don't clean it up before filling new oil and putting in new filter.

I'll be more concerned if they cut corner in new disposable core instead of higher quality reused core. Single use plastic is not as durable as multi-use metal, you know.

Looks like a 4 gal container....many new cars have no room under the hood for a dipstick!

Redesign for this a decade or more away.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Looks like a 4 gal container....many new cars have no room under the hood for a dipstick! Redesign for this a decade or more away.
I hear ya, no room at the inn up in there.... Of course, this makes one think the entire sump, in it's current position could be removable. Drain into sump would need to be funneled into there of course. Makes one think of possibilities though. I guess you still have to raise the car if the sump is removable, hmmm....

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Originally Posted By: ammolab
Looks like a 4 gal container....many new cars have no room under the hood for a dipstick! Redesign for this a decade or more away.
I hear ya, no room at the inn up in there.... Of course, this makes one think the entire sump, in it's current position could be removable. Drain into sump would need to be funneled into there of course. Makes one think of possibilities though. I guess you still have to raise the car if the sump is removable, hmmm....

What if the main purpose is to remove the sump, so you can drop the engine lower? Then they market it as "eco friendly and 90 sec oil change"?

Why couldn't you have a few at home and refill them yourself as well as replace the filter. Again think inkjets I have refilled mine quite successfully bit some people just buy new as it is easier and alot less time consuming. Depends on your need money or time.

As much as we maybe laughing are knocking this type of oil exchange I say in 10 years this will probably be the norm. You go in and exchange your empty container for the brand container you want. The older folks in my family still use a old style coffee pot or Mr.Coffee and cannot understand why the new generation would pay more to use a Keurig. As the technology improves I am sure it will get smaller or at least more refined for the future car market.

This is over-engineering. Don't expect to see this on many cars.

A lot of auto makers don't even put oil filters in accessible locations, do you expect them to be using oil cells anytime soon?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
What if the main purpose is to remove the sump, so you can drop the engine lower? Then they market it as "eco friendly and 90 sec oil change"?

Lowering the center of mass is always a good thing, getting the heavy engine as low as possible, like what boxster engine (horizontally opposed cylinders) do.
Now we are talking essentially a dry-sump system, with maybe a small pint volume drain area under the crankshaft for a conventional oil pump to push the oil through up to the Nexcel filter+reservoir device before entering the first oil galley.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Oils expensive enough, last thing I want to do is have to pay for a replacement canister. Its a good idea, but if it triples the cost for me to change my oil I'm not really intrested.

If I was to guess I would say the filter is built into the canister and it would all have to be replaced each time.
I like the phony carbon fiber look. Real high tech.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Hmmm, so is this a dry sump system if it is all the way up? I'd imagine pumping oil all the way up and outside the engine structure means additional cost, for nothing. There will be an additional pump and additional space wasted in the engine bay. The only benefit is a reduced oil pan size means the engine height is reduced and you get lower center of gravity.

The canister is not a problem if they can make a reusable one for those who want to reuse it, which, defeat the purpose of the system. Or it would be like battery which you needs to return the core back to the store and reusing it risk leaking or cracking and damaging an engine as a result.

Would you really want to use somebody else's old core?
The Porsche boys, of course, moved the dry sump tank to the front on their rear engine design masterpieces to ameliorate the pesky rear weight bias. The pipes up and back are hardly a weak point.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
This will be CAFE mandated. It will prohibit you from having anything other than 0w-10 under your hood.
I'll bet the "self driving cars" will have them. In fact given the liability problems of "autodrive cars" I'll bet they all come with a label saying "no owner serviceable parts inside".

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
This will be CAFE mandated. It will prohibit you from having anything other than 0w-10 under your hood.

Agreed, the different weight sumps will not be interchangeable...

It does appear that much of this Nexcel thing is due to the EPA being upset at so many people dumping motor oil into the sewer system & ground water tables.
First the greenies make us breathe clean air, now they want us drinking clean water too? Tyranny! Don't they know cancer & other illnesses are a myth? (sarcasm meter at full)

Its now a Plug n' Play society.

It may not be this exact technology, but within 10 years I think something along the same line is in the majority of vehicles for sale.

Years from now, there will be a thread here on converting your Nexcel to a traditional sump and spin oil filter.

It is about convience and speed. Most of the world is not like us on this forum. They could care less about the type of oil they put into their vehicle. They just want it changed and to be quick about it as they do not want to wait. If it can be done in 3 minutes with no mess or fuss then trust me it will become popular. The technology and design will also improve.

I'm going with the pollution angle.
Lots of oil is sold and not all of it finds its way into the recycling stream.
It's expensive extracting oil from our drinking water supplies.

"They" won't talk about it. It'll just happen.
It's too bad some authority figure can't say, "Because some of you people are so lazy and stupid our water supply is being damaged. We had to design and implement this oil handling system in order to keep oil related poisons out of our drinking water."

The amount of oil which doesn't get recycled is staggering. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back