Confused between PP & PUP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Benito
Originally Posted By: Clevy
We get shafted up here. When I lived in Detroit I was absolutely flabbergasted at the price differences on everything. From car parts to milk the difference was unreal.
Car parts were roughly half what we typically pay here. Milk iirc was 1.99 a gallon. The necessities of life were far less costly in America however I do remember that minimum wage was disgustingly low. Waitstaff made 2 bucks an hour or something ridiculous. They basically survived of their tips.
We started labourers at 12 an hour. 1099 them for taxes.
We had a lot of Mexicans working for us. When they found out we would pay them 12 an hour,and actually pay them they couldn't believe it. I remember one older fella welled up with tears.
Anyways back to the topic.
Canadians get the shaft

And Mexican laborers in Detroit it seems.

We paid anyone who worked with us fairly. If they were more than just labour we paid them accordingly. I don't care what colour a persons skin is. If they work hard and make me money I pay them well.
At one point I had 50 Mexicans working for us. They were the demolishion team when we renovated big office buildings.
They worked very hard doing carppy work and never complained. However there wasn't many American firms who would hire them at all.
I did learn one thing in America I could have done with out knowing and that's racism. The hate I saw there was new to me. I didn't understand why there was such a deep rooted,seething,stewing hatred for people of colour.

Last edited:
Fasttimez said:
Everything's more expensive in Canada it seems. I hunt a lot & talking with guys from Canada the same supplies I get here in the states have like a 200% markup in Canada....it's crazy.

We get shafted up here. When I lived in Detroit I was absolutely flabbergasted at the price differences on everything. From car parts to milk the difference was unreal.
Car parts were roughly half what we typically pay here. Milk iirc was 1.99 a gallon. The necessities of life were far less costly in America however I do remember that minimum wage was disgustingly low. Waitstaff made 2 bucks an hour or something ridiculous. They basically survived of their tips.
We started labourers at 12 an hour. 1099 them for taxes.
We had a lot of Mexicans working for us. When they found out we would pay them 12 an hour,and actually pay them they couldn't believe it. I remember one older fella welled up with tears.
Anyways back to the topic.
Canadians get the shaft [/quote]

I pay $468.00 (U.S.) a month for healthcare. What do you pay?

You don't want to see the tax deductions off of our cheques, I promise you that, or the taxes that come off of all sales (10% in this province) or the gas taxes (which get sales tax on top of that again), but I digress. Don't even think of buying tobacco or liquor, by the way.

We paid anyone who worked with us fairly. If they were more than just labour we paid them accordingly. I don't care what colour a persons skin is. If they work hard and make me money I pay them well.
At one point I had 50 Mexicans working for us. They were the demolishion team when we renovated big office buildings.
They worked very hard doing carppy work and never complained. However there wasn't many American firms who would hire them at all.
I did learn one thing in America I could have done with out knowing and that's racism. The hate I saw there was new to me. I didn't understand why there was such a deep rooted,seething,stewing hatred for people of colour.

I hope you didn't think I was suggesting you were not paying them fairly. I had already read in your first post that you were. I was picking up on your comment that they were surprised how fair you were to them which suggested others were shafting them.

I agree with your comment about racism in America. Once someone I barely knew started complaining about Mexicans. This was in an area where all you see are Mexicans working hard in the lowest paying jobs. I've never seen them do anything wrong. They turn up on time, they don't complain, they don't slack off, they're honest and straightforward in their dealings.

I've always had the utmost respect for people who are physically working all the time. I really couldn't comprehend why there was animosity towards them.

Originally Posted By: Garak
You don't want to see the tax deductions off of our cheques, I promise you that, or the taxes that come off of all sales (10% in this province) or the gas taxes (which get sales tax on top of that again), but I digress. Don't even think of buying tobacco or liquor, by the way.

Me & some friends visited our friends in Canada a couple years back. One of the guys smoked & the border people confiscated 3 cartons of his cigarette's he was bringing as a gift to another guy. He only allowed him 1 carton of cigarettes & the pack he already had open. We didn't know at the time how tightly regulated tobacco was in Canada. If we knew, we would have claimed a carton of cigarettes apiece & probably got through.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
For the 0W-40 grade, the Platinum version has a NOACK of less than or equal to 10% as it satisfies MB 229.5 while the Ultra Platinum (SRT) version has a NOACK of 13% according to the TDS (PDF link).

Therefore, their GTL base stock appears to be of low quality (relatively high NOACK) and ironically the Platinum version seems to contain PAO to lower the NOACK and it seems to be of higher quality than the Ultra Platinum. Go figure.

I also doubt that the SRT version meets the Chrysler MS-12633 as it claims. I think Chrysler may be cheated by Shell.

Shell simply plays too many games.

And the worst: Pennzoil Euro xW-40 is three to four times more expensive than Mobil 1 0W-40 SN, which is a proven premium synthetic.

I think Shell may be losing its GTL game.

I'm almost positive they are using the same base stock GTL for both PP & PUP. It would make financial sense to do so, you wouldn't have the cost of 2 GTL base stocks. However I'm almost also positive that whatever additives or VI improvers they are using in PUP to get the cleanliness they are claiming also makes the oil more volatile. Take the 10w30 for example, PP has a VI of 150 & NOACK of 4.7%......PUP has a VI of 155 & NOACK of 5.7%. Seems they have to prop up the base stock more of PUP by adding VI's because the cleaning cocktail of additives actually makes for a more volatile oil. So the question really is how much more cleaning ability does PUP have over PP, & if the wear protection between the 2 are the same as well. What really baffles my mind, is how an oil with a higher NOACK can have lower deposits & clean better.....goes against everything I've learned about oil. But that's why I'm not a chemist I suppose

Originally Posted By: Benito

I hope you didn't think I was suggesting you were not paying them fairly. I had already read in your first post that you were. I was picking up on your comment that they were surprised how fair you were to them which suggested others were shafting them.

I agree with your comment about racism in America. Once someone I barely knew started complaining about Mexicans. This was in an area where all you see are Mexicans working hard in the lowest paying jobs. I've never seen them do anything wrong. They turn up on time, they don't complain, they don't slack off, they're honest and straightforward in their dealings.

I've always had the utmost respect for people who are physically working all the time. I really couldn't comprehend why there was animosity towards them.

Sorry Benito. I mistook your post as being sarcastic. So I felt as though I should qualify my statement.

Thank you for catching it though and clearing it up. I apologize if I was being a jerk.
Here in Canada we most certainly have our issues however for the most part deep rooted racism isn't a huge issue.
For sure there are localized regions where it presents itself but that more of an Ontario and Quebec thing. The further west and east you go the less anyone cares about what makes people different. We prefer to focus on what makes us the same and build from there.

I'm sorry for the total thread derail here.
Back to topic I have a hard time differentiating these 2 oils and pennzoil hasn't made much effort in distinguishing them from each other.
Being bitogers we know ultra is better,but aren't sure why. And Loki g at the specs you'd almost come to the opposite conclusion.
Luckily our fantastic sponsor has been shipping care packages with pre-paid used oil analysis kits. So once the data starts coming in we should be able to learn a lot about why ultra is the top tier.
But going of published specs it's real tough to say one way or the other.

Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
If we knew, we would have claimed a carton of cigarettes apiece & probably got through.

The Canadian government thinks it's obscene if cigarettes are under $15 a pack. Can't have that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back