Transmission filter OEM or Aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Mopar, Power Torque and WIX and havent noticed a different. My current WIX has about 20k on it.

In all of the gm vehicles I owned or worked on, I replaced oem tranny filter w Wix. The wix was not the exact same as the ac delco tranny filter but is was half the price, available at local parts store, and its a good brand name. No tranny issue yet. And my truck has over 180k miles on the original tranny. If the delco filter was a couple bucks more, I would use it, but Wix = $15, delco = $30 online (dealer wanted $50)

then i'm going to , or i might as well drop the pan for the first time ont he 09 taurus
so is felpro a good brand for the gasket or is motorcraft dealer gasket a lot better? at oreilly, autozone, and aap, the gasket they offer is felpro

what about for the trans filter? aap didn't have a filter, but i need to check oreilly and azone. is the motorcraft trans filter the best or is oreilly's filter ok? what about the napa brand trans filter? thanks.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
then i'm going to , or i might as well drop the pan for the first time ont he 09 taurus
so is felpro a good brand for the gasket or is motorcraft dealer gasket a lot better? at oreilly, autozone, and aap, the gasket they offer is felpro

what about for the trans filter? aap didn't have a filter, but i need to check oreilly and azone. is the motorcraft trans filter the best or is oreilly's filter ok? what about the napa brand trans filter? thanks.

I'm going to just copy and paste my answer to your identical post from another thread.

There is no Motorcraft gasket for a 2009 Taurus. It is only sold as a blue label, or Ford OEM part. 7T4Z 7F396 A is the p/n. The filter, 7T4Z-7A098-A will not come with a gasket as they are separate items.

Originally Posted By: camryguy
is a napa gasket any good?

In my experience, no aftermarket gasket is nearly as good as an OEM gasket.

Ain't that the truth. No idea how many times I've removed a nice silicone pan with gasket with integrated support rails and built-in steel washers, just to find out the aftermarket replacement was a piece of cork that looked like it was cut by a 5th grader.

Originally Posted By: EricF
I've noticed the problem with duralast, autozone's house brand, it's hard to tell where they're getting their parts from.
the duralast belts are supposed to be Dayco, but when I had one in my had it felt like a vacuum cleaner belt, didn't like to flex, very greasy and was made in china.
I've always used aftermarket tranny filters, never have had an issue, and I don't run magnafine's inline yet.
Although I wouldn't buy a generic branded (white box type) filter, a regular name, ATP, Wix, Purolator, etc.. I'd have no problems with.
For me the big issue was the gasket.. I don't like the cork, and some companies ONLY use cork, others, rubber, others fiber, etc..
I try and stick with ATP only because I like the pan gaskets, never have I had a leak.
Long ago fram used to roll the gasket up into a roll and that just turned me off.

I'm glad this thread was resurrected.

I put ATP brand filters & gasket on my 2012 Ram 65RFE last month.

OEM gasket was none - it's RTV. Glad to use something different personally. It'll make the next change easier too.

No issues with fit-up, and so far everything's working well.

The sticker on the ATP filter kit box said Made in USA.

Best part is the ATP B-245 kit was under $13 when I bought it off Amazon - the pan gasket, the sump filter, and the spin-on filter all included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back