Is Michelin really that good

Status
Not open for further replies.
My answer- usually. My Primacy MXV4's were just average tires. Every other set has been fabulous, including the LTX M/S2's I have on my Pilot now.

Michelin bicycle tires are really expensive (in relative terms) too. I only tried them once and they were really difficult to install and remove from the rim. For the type of urban riding I do they are not the best choice anyway since I tend to get cuts in tires before they wear out.

Great tire but significantly overpriced. I have heard that they inspect everytire whereas other manufacturers use a random selection for quality control purposes. Again a great tire just not worth the price they ask for them

Uniroyal Laredo® Cross Country gets rave reviews at a smaller cost than LTX...100,000 mi. plus tire.

I have no appreciable experience with Michelin on my personal vehicles. The first set I have ever had came on my 2015 2500HD Chevy. Jury is still out on how well I will like them. Need to rack up a full winter on them to see. For gravel and off road, not impressed. For highway, pretty good. Once the serious snow drifts and ice become a major part of life this winter out here in the countryside, we'll see if the Michelin LTX's get removed for something else.

Now for my commercial truck needs, Michelins are the only thing I use. When I can get 447,000 miles out of Michelin drive tires and still have 8-9/32nds left and no uneven wear, yeah, I'll stick with them. And I have gotten roughly 223,000 miles on average out of Michelin steer tires. Same thing... 8-9/32 left and no uneven wear. When tires perform at that level, the cost gets spread out pretty good so that the higher initial cost is negated, and overall cost is significantly lower. Have no desire to switch brands in that application.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I have no appreciable experience with Michelin on my personal vehicles. The first set I have ever had came on my 2015 2500HD Chevy. Jury is still out on how well I will like them. Need to rack up a full winter on them to see. For gravel and off road, not impressed. For highway, pretty good. Once the serious snow drifts and ice become a major part of life this winter out here in the countryside, we'll see if the Michelin LTX's get removed for something else.

Which Michelin LTX's?

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Which Michelin LTX's?

The 265/70R18 LTX A/T2's are what came on my 2500HD for stock rubber.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Some of their models are, yes. The LTX M/S2, Pilot Super Sport and Pilot A/S3's are all fantastic tires that I've owned.

We buy several sets of LTX MS2's regularly. They are the finest load range E tire we have ever run in the history of our family biz. Up to 3 times the mileage of competitors while delivering excellent traction in all conditions.

The new gen PSS is also amazing. But I feel certain Michelin has a few dogs in their line up as most do...

Agree. I will buy no other E-Rated tire at all. Every possible factor is second to none.

The 265/70R18 LTX A/T2's are what came on my 2500HD for stock rubber.

LTX A/T2's are not Michelin's best effort. My local tire shop swaps them out for M/S2's for the local snow plowing pickup trucks and the owners are happier with that. Kind of counter intuitive but they find the M/S2's work better on snow covered pavement.

Factory tires are likely not comparable to off the shelf aftermarket tires...

I have heard that. And if that is indeed the case-then many tire manufacturers are shooting themselves in the foot.

I bought a brand new Honda Accord EX-L a few years back. It had factory MXV4 Michelin tires. The tires were OK for the first 20 to 30 thousand miles. Then they were noisy,and downright dangerous with any moisture on the road what so ever.

I would never purchase any Michelin tires based on the past performance of those tires.

Originally Posted By: CKN

I have heard that. And if that is indeed the case-then many tire manufacturers are shooting themselves in the foot......

Unfortunately this is true, but this is caused by the vehicle manufacturer's specs. The tire manufacturer either meets the specs or does get NOT a sale. Typically the vehicle manufacturer's specs have a low rolling resistance requirement and that means the traction and/or treadwear gets sacrificed.

Last edited:

I have heard that. And if that is indeed the case-then many tire manufacturers are shooting themselves in the foot.

I would never purchase any Michelin tires based on the past performance of those tires.

By the same logic, anything Goodyear and Bridgestone makes is garbage and we might as well run Primewells and Sailuns.
smile.gif

The OEMs want a tire that meets their NVH criteria and helps them with CAFE. An OEM tire is a compromise. At least Michelin marks them with either an OEM spec or DT(they also did that with their "club warehouse" and "chain" tires), but Audi/BMW/GM/Mercedes/Porsche have tire suppliers build tires to their specs as well - which is why you see a star/RSC mark on BMW/Mini rubber, TPC on GM and Mercedes/Porsche/Audi have their own markings like M01.

Originally Posted By: nthach

By the same logic, anything Goodyear and Bridgestone makes is garbage and we might as well run Primewells and Sailuns.
smile.gif

The OEMs want a tire that meets their NVH criteria and helps them with CAFE. An OEM tire is a compromise. At least Michelin marks them with either an OEM spec or DT(they also did that with their "club warehouse" and "chain" tires), but Audi/BMW/GM/Mercedes/Porsche have tire suppliers build tires to their specs as well - which is why you see a star/RSC mark on BMW/Mini rubber, TPC on GM and Mercedes/Porsche/Audi have their own markings like M01.

There have been good reports on Sailuns tires on a RV board I frequent. FYI.

Last edited:
Again, from somebody who has the same car as the OP, in this case Michelin is the best all-season tire available in the OEM size. There are possibly better tires in 205/50-16 that fits without issue.

Originally Posted By: nthach

smile.gif

There have been good reports on Sailuns tires on a RV board I frequent. FYI.

Supposedly them and DoubleCoin are making good tires for that price range. I know of a Subaru Forester I worked on with Sailun Attrezzos that felt OK, they felt a touch harder than the Yokohamas on there before.

In 395/85R20 there is Goodyear, Continental and Pirelli. But Michelin, primarily XZL, is the only one I can get for 80% off list price surplus from the US Army off the thousands of unused brand new MRAPs sitting in muddy fields next to military bases.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back