90 Second Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
"A key test is whether the oil delivers smooth handling, braking and accelerating."

That's when USA Today lost the plot.

crackmeup2.gif

Best part of the video is at 4 seconds. The oil pressure warning light turns on and she gives the camera a thumbs up! Mission accomplished!

It looks like a good idea but how do you top off your car? I'm guessing the normal way if its not sealed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Swift101
Best part of the video is at 4 seconds. The oil pressure warning light turns on and she gives the camera a thumbs up! Mission accomplished!

It looks like a good idea but how do you top off your car? I'm guessing the normal way if its not sealed.

The little lamp is on, means I have oil!!!

Originally Posted By: Swift101
Same way you always do. Or maybe you could just top off the Nexcel reservoir container level, like brake fluid is done now.

This Nexcel thing appears to be almost a wet-sump or dry-sump replacement. Notes say oil is pumped into it to reach the filter inside the Nexcel container, and the car can be commanded to run it's electric oil pump to get the rest out of the engine at an oil change. Seems to work best as part of a dry-sump system.

More details are needed, and the only problem is it takes up space under the hood where real estate is scarce. Cool idea otherwise.

Last edited:
The manufacturers may go for something like this because it removes the need for an oil pan and everything related to filters.

There will need to be a way to top up oil and to take a sample. Although I presume it will be hard to cut open the filter since the removable part contains the filter and is all designed to be recycled.

On the other hand, changing oil may finally be simple enough for the Walmart "technicians".
grin.gif

This article explains things in more detail:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/135547-c...n-martin-vulcan

I wonder how many units BITOG members will stock in their garages.......

As convenient as it may be, proprietary "cartridges" of any kind will most certainly mean a higher cost to the consumer. Anything a company can control via patent equals greater profit margin. Once the patent expires, aftermarket replacements would become cost competitive.

Computer controlled, for a new source of electrical gremlins that only the dealer can address, and stupid expensive no doubt.

No, I'll not be replacing two perfectly good, 100% mechanical systems with this garbage.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
If used by stealerships.....how will they try to upsell you in 90 seconds?

Haha, good point. They'll make you wait for 20 minutes before your car goes in because there will be a back up, even though in 20 minutes they can do over 13 cars, and tghen they'll tell you they need to fix the Johnson rod on the Nexcel cartridge holder before the new cartridge goes in. So they'll have plenty of time to upsell.

And even if they don't, you'll still pay $120 for an oil change with the price that this thing is gonna be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back