Fully cutting the cord...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a grandfathered unlimited Verizon data plan that is inexpensive and fast at my home (30down/15up).

Apparently it is only $30/month for hotspot capability off my iPhone6.

Anyone use this type of setup and downfalls? It's $60 month for xfinity (20down/5up) I am considering dropping.

How did you get the grandfathered unlimited data plan? They cut me off as soon as I upgraded my old Blackberry.

Dump your iPhone 6 and get a Moto X. Because Motorola sells it for $399, Verizon never got their hands on it to add their bloatware on it and hot spot/tethering works without any special package. It's why an Android phone is cheaper than iPhone.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
How did you get the grandfathered unlimited data plan? They cut me off as soon as I upgraded my old Blackberry.

You have to pay full price for your upgrade phone and not get their discounted phone with 2yr contract extension.

Read this just now:

Verizon said Thursday it will increase the monthly price of its grandfathered unlimited data plans by $20.

"These changes will allow Verizon to continue to maintain the highest standards of network performance for all our customers," the company said in a statement.

The increase will take effect on Nov. 15 but will not affect the rates of customers who are currently on a two-year contract with unlimited data, Verizon noted.

Verizon also said the hike will only affect a small part of its clientele. "Most of our customers (99 percent) are not on unlimited data plans," the company said.

I finally gave up mine a month ago. As long as you paid full price for the phone, they grandfathered you. Now they're jacking up the price of the grandfathered plan, they're adding an extra $20 to it so it's now $50 a month instead of $30.

They charge you for the iPhone hotspot. Wow.

Anyways I cut the cord about a year ago and in no way do I miss not having and paying for cable. I've got both an android box and my Apple TV.
But I'm not tethered to my phone. I have used the hotspot countless times for my boy and I to use our iPads when we were camping. Both of us on Netflix and it didn't slow down or stop to load.
I don't see why you couldn't use your phone for the wifi for tv. I can't believe they charge you for it though.

I have been using my HTC for 3 1/2 years as a hotspot....works well in most locations.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

I finally gave up mine a month ago. As long as you paid full price for the phone, they grandfathered you. Now they're jacking up the price of the grandfathered plan, they're adding an extra $20 to it so it's now $50 a month instead of $30.

Interesting on unlimited plan increasing. Did you run the #'s for what a "free" plan costs in terms of phone? Typically that payment is built into the new plan you joined. What I find interesting is the new marketing psuh/plan at Verizon is if you want a new phone you pay full price/24 for 24 monthly payments interest free over 2 year contract.

Very complex to figure out what they are doing and you have to run the #'s over 24 months to figure out total cost.

I have been buring 1GB/day using my iPhone 6 with google hangout video and also VOIP offering to avoid using my limited 700 minutes my wife/I share. The resason I jumped on iPhone 6 was that my old iPhone 4 had poor battery life and they had an offer one year ago for $200 buyback on iPhone 4/4s so I jumped and paid $450($650-$200) for it.

The $20/month increase gives me pause in stopping my xfinity cable for internet only. The only good part is I get a 22% discount on that $20 so its more like $15ish.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I have a grandfathered unlimited Verizon data plan that is inexpensive and fast at my home (30down/15up).

Apparently it is only $30/month for hotspot capability off my iPhone6.

Anyone use this type of setup and downfalls? It's $60 month for xfinity (20down/5up) I am considering dropping.

So the tethering usage is unlimited too? My Sprint data usage (on the phone) is unlimited but my tethering ($20/mo.) usage is not. In fact, all data usage while tethering is turned on counts towards the tethering data cap, so you have to be careful to turn it off when not hotspotting.

Yes Verizon package shares data allowance with data plan which is unlimited in this case. Floored they did that.

Interesting on unlimited plan increasing. Did you run the #'s for what a "free" plan costs in terms of phone? Typically that payment is built into the new plan you joined. What I find interesting is the new marketing psuh/plan at Verizon is if you want a new phone you pay full price/24 for 24 monthly payments interest free over 2 year contract.

Very complex to figure out what they are doing and you have to run the #'s over 24 months to figure out total cost.

I have been buring 1GB/day using my iPhone 6 with google hangout video and also VOIP offering to avoid using my limited 700 minutes my wife/I share. The resason I jumped on iPhone 6 was that my old iPhone 4 had poor battery life and they had an offer one year ago for $200 buyback on iPhone 4/4s so I jumped and paid $450($650-$200) for it.

The $20/month increase gives me pause in stopping my xfinity cable for internet only. The only good part is I get a 22% discount on that $20 so its more like $15ish.

Moto X was direct from Motorola so there's no discount or interest free period. Just a straight $400. Basically with the unlimited plan I was paying a little over $104 a month. Now with just 1gb of data, I'm at about $57 a month. My data was normally under 1gb a month. I also shut off google play as I noticed it was using close to 400 megs a month just doing updates. Now I just have it do all that over wifi.

Moto X was direct from Motorola so there's no discount or interest free period. Just a straight $400. Basically with the unlimited plan I was paying a little over $104 a month. Now with just 1gb of data, I'm at about $57 a month. My data was normally under 1gb a month. I also shut off google play as I noticed it was using close to 400 megs a month just doing updates. Now I just have it do all that over wifi.

Thanks! I checked into the new Verizon plans and realized with our average data use we could drop our bill by $40(6GB/two phone)-$50(3GB/two phones). I will retain xfinity internet.

There's an app called EasyTether. Buy it for $10 through the Amazon App Store and you can enjoy all the free tethering you want. I've used it for a few years now with several different Android phones. Currently I have a Samsung Galaxy S6.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Is the price increase going to apply to the $45 unlimited data loyalty plan?

I was paying $29.99 for unlimited data which the $20 increase applied to. There were plenty more charges on my bill and that was per line charge.

My wife/I were paying $130 with unlimited mine/2GB hers/500 texts each/700 mins total talk and now reduced to $84/month sharing 6gb and unlimited text/talk. Now have to pay outright for phone or 24 monthly payments/phone once we need swap to something new.

Our use case is her about 1GB and me about 2GB/month.

My brother has a couple unlimited lines on some special "loyalty" plan. $45/month + tax that he uses for data. It has unlimited data and like 30 minutes talk, not sure of texts. I tried one out with a jetpack to see if I could replace cable. Didn't work very well. It was fast when it was working right.

Yeah, my cable has been iffy the last week or so and a couple times Ive had to use my phone with my laptop for several hours in order to do anything. Its usually smooth but has random slow downs like YouTube videos will suddenly stall and it takes awhile for it to recover. I check the phone and notice it jumped down to HSPA or HSPA+ for whatever reason from LTE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back