75,000kms using 0W-30 --- Time to change to 5W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

I have a 2008 Volvo XC90 with 3.2L AWD.

From day one I use 0W-30 Castrol Sintetic but right now my car has 75,000kms and I dont know if I need to use a thicker viscosity like a 5W-40.

I know the 0W-30 is a energy conserving oil that help on the mileage but my concern is the mileage my car has and if I can still use the same viscosity.

BTW, here in my country Central America is very hot and heavy trafic bumber to bumper. Whats your advise?

THX,

Isaac

First off why?

75,000 km's isn't that much and unless you're having consumption issues I see no reason to change.

Second, Castrol 0w-30 is actually quite a bit heavier than most 30 wt oils including Castrol Edge 5w-30. So if you're worried about using a thin oil, relax because you're not.

Not unless you have seriously damaged your engine and you are burning/consuming oil.

I have two pickups on 10W-30, since 98 and 2002, one with 450,000 km and the other with 540,000 km with no oil consumption.

the one with 450,000 recently developed a fissure in the head above the exhaust valve and we tore down the engine. The bearings had no visible wear.

Panama, I guess 0w-30 helps with those cold starts.

I would have thought 10w-30 would have served you just fine.

Not necessary unless your driving includes frequent hill climbing and harsh acceleration/deceleration, though your ambient is hot .

yeah, that is pretty low on miles to even consider switching to a higher vis oil. And if it is burning oil at that low of engine life, there are issues going on that no oil is going to help. And the ambient temp is no more than someone running thru Death Valley in the U.S. in the summer. Even modern commercial heavy diesels from 13L to 15L are using 30 weight oils as factory fill, and thru their entire life. Many with over 500,000 mile on them running from Mexico to Canada, mountains and all, year round.

For your area, I would have just used a 5w30, and possibly a 10w30. Not like you are going to see 0C temps any time soon.

Hey Guys,

Thx for your advise. My car is not leaking
banana2.gif

I will keep using the CASTROL 0W-30. I am using the one that is Made in Germany.

THX,

Isaac

If there's no problem exactly what are you trying to fix. As already said if no leaks or consumption increases than why change.
You're already using one of the best oils available. The euro spec oils are the best you can get in my opinion. They are made for extended drains and for use in high tech high output engines so unless there is some kind of problem why switch.
Jmo

You get up around 150K and maybe think about stepping up... Is the engine noisy? Sometimes a bit thicker will help with engine noise, but if it's quiet, stay where you are
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back