Harvard Debate Team Loses to New York Prison Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the inmates won because they applied their new found knowledge, combined it with real life experience, the hardships that come along with living, realizing consequences that come with poor choices, and the Harvard young ins had no chance.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Very few Americans are impressed by some slick talking convicts in prison winning a debate against some kids with zero real world experience.

I'll be impressed if these criminal goons could win a fist fight against some Soldiers, Sailors or Marines...

Having to deal with both "groups" on a near daily basis. My money is on the thugs in general and on individual match ups it depends on the individuals.

I have lots of respect for folks trying to better themselves and educate themselves(prisoners, preppies, teens etc). You can't take away education from anyone.

I have no respect for folks who down anybody for seizing the opportunity.

I especially have NO RESPSECT for folks who are uneducated themselves beyond high school whether trade or college and choose to voice their negative opinion about others pursuing it. My guess they do this to make themselves feel elevated.

Please see my previous post. Agreed,we are ALL responsible for our own actions, and must accept that responsibility. Our public school system has many faults, but it is not the schools' fault. It is not the cops' fault. It cannot be blamed on growing up in a single parent home. These are all empty excuses. The key is accepting the responsibility and consequences for our decisions and making necessary changes. I also have been working since I was 16 (not 15, you beat me to it). I DID make mistakes involving alcohol. I no longer use alcohol, I learned my lesson. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way. My own fault. I have a family member who had a drug problem and did time because of it. His fault . He accepts it, and has changed. I just don't subscribe to the hard line "I have no sympathy for them" . As long as they are willing to change, let's give them the opportunity. Consequences, yes. But not a lifetime label as a loser.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Very few Americans are impressed by some slick talking convicts in prison winning a debate against some kids with zero real world experience.

I'll be impressed if these criminal goons could win a fist fight against some Soldiers, Sailors or Marines...

That says more about you then it does about them.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I have lots of respect for folks trying to better themselves and educate themselves(prisoners, preppies, teens etc). You can't take away education from anyone.

I have no respect for folks who down anybody for seizing the opportunity.

I especially have NO RESPSECT for folks who are uneducated themselves beyond high school whether trade or college and choose to voice their negative opinion about others pursuing it. My guess they do this to make themselves feel elevated.

Very very well put and said.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

This is the EXACT sentiment that I had brewing in my heart as I read a few of the responses in this thread. Thank you madRiver for concisely expressing my thoughts and feelings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PR1955
Please see my previous post. Agreed,we are ALL responsible for our own actions, and must accept that responsibility. Our public school system has many faults, but it is not the schools' fault. It is not the cops' fault. It cannot be blamed on growing up in a single parent home. These are all empty excuses. The key is accepting the responsibility and consequences for our decisions and making necessary changes. I also have been working since I was 16 (not 15, you beat me to it). I DID make mistakes involving alcohol. I no longer use alcohol, I learned my lesson. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way. My own fault. I have a family member who had a drug problem and did time because of it. His fault . He accepts it, and has changed. I just don't subscribe to the hard line "I have no sympathy for them" . As long as they are willing to change, let's give them the opportunity. Consequences, yes. But not a lifetime label as a loser.

Well said.

Not everybody is born wired the same nor receives the same guidance when growing up.

When they make mistakes but learn from them, they should be applauded. It was a bigger effort for them then those who were lucky to be born without the same weaknesses or those who received better guidance.

The lack of capacity for forgiveness and understanding of fellow human beings astounds me. It is taught as part of every major religion.

Originally Posted By: Benito
Not only are top universities fully promoting diversity these days, but so are top companies.

They realize that diversity, which includes the question of encouraging women in the workplace, leads to greater performance.

Show the proof of this, UNbiased studies that prove it.

The lack of capacity for forgiveness and understanding of fellow human beings astounds me. It is taught as part of every major religion.

I'm never against "forgiveness" and understanding, but for serious felons guilty of serious injuries and or death of another innocent I say you can forgive, but never forget and keep them either in jail for life, or send them to the great beyond.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I agree, i've said it before. Our problem is that we have the nicest jails of any country.

"ANY" country? You can prove that I suppose?

http://blog.arrestrecords.com/the-50-most-comfortable-prisons-in-the-world/

Of the list of 50 in the world, 22 were in the usa.

Perhaps i worded it wrong, maybe not the nicest of all , but we have more of the nicest jails.

There are definitely some felons for which I have zero sympathy. Especially those who have preyed on the weakness of people and especially children in violent ways. None at all. Far as I am concerned, they turned in their membership for the human race, and have less rights than a public lawn.

For things like drug trafficking without violence, we're looking at people who were unlicensed criminals, as opposed to the licensed criminal drug traffickers that our government supports. I dislike both equally, but would definitely appreciate seeing them becoming productive citizens, as opposed to continual draining of public funds through either welfare, prison (which actually costs more than welfare), or probation (which strangely costs as much as prison) where it is appropriate.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
It costs about $29,000/year to house an inmate. The state of Illinois is going after one prisoner to recoup some of the costs:

http://patch.com/connecticut/mansfield/s...p-him-locked-up

The question is why don't ALL states and counties pursue the costs of housing convicted criminals after they are released? These folks choose to break the laws and should be held responsible for any legal penalties and or costs.

I think the simple answer is cost/benefit is poor. How much money will be spent pursuing civil suits against pursuing a bunch of people who haven't earned a viable income in years of incarceration vs. what they'll actually receive. Prosecutors might be government lawyers, but they are still paid as lawyers. They'd have to add a lot of them in order to process all of those suits.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Not only are top universities fully promoting diversity these days, but so are top companies.

They realize that diversity, which includes the question of encouraging women in the workplace, leads to greater performance.

Show the proof of this, UNbiased studies that prove it.

Apple, largest and most profitable company in the world:

http://www.apple.com/diversity/

Quote:
Diversity is critical to innovation and it is essential to Apple’s future. We aspire to do more than just make our company as diverse as the talent available to hire. We must address the broad underlying challenges, offer new opportunities, and create a future generation of employees as diverse as the world around us. We also aspire to make a difference beyond Apple.

This means fostering diversity not just at Apple but throughout our entire ecosystem, from the customers we welcome in our stores to the suppliers and developers we work with. We are committed to fostering and advancing inclusion and diversity across Apple and all the communities we’re a part of. As one example, we’re proud that our spending on women- and minority-owned businesses exceeded $650 million last year.

We want every person who joins our team, every customer visiting our stores or calling for support to feel welcome. We believe in equality for everyone, regardless of race, age, gender, gender identity, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation. That applies throughout our company, around the world with no exceptions.

You'll find all top companies say something similar.

I agree, i've said it before. Our problem is that we have the nicest jails of any country.

"ANY" country? You can prove that I suppose?

http://blog.arrestrecords.com/the-50-most-comfortable-prisons-in-the-world/

Of the list of 50 in the world, 22 were in the usa.

Perhaps i worded it wrong, maybe not the nicest of all , but we have more of the nicest jails.

They were for white collar non violent criminals.

And since the US sends way way more people to prison than any other country, that 22 out of 50 is not any sort of compelling statistic nor does that list have any methodology behind it!

BUT yeah some of those prisons are an eye opener! 5 luxury meals a day in Manchester. I'm lucky to get 3 basic ones!

BUT yeah some of those prisons are an eye opener! 5 luxury meals a day in Manchester. I'm lucky to get 3 basic ones!

In which prison are you?
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back