Honda Accord vs Mazda 6 (base models)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're at 60k miles with wife's SkyActiv 2014 Mazda6 (Touring with Tech package)- has been absolutely great. still gets 38 MPG avg. (Mostly hwy). We had compared similar trimmed Accords, Passats, Camrys, etc when we bought and the Mazda is much better looking (to us at least), and had the better driving feel and interior fit and finish.

It is a car with a lot more soul and a bit of exclusivity. (You won't confuse yours with 20 others parked next to you). It's a very sporty car for its size, and is very fun to drive. Interior is very euro-like, sporty, and simply laid out, which we love - no space ship-looking, gaudy cockpit. GREAT steering wheel/feel. And the 19" wheels / tires are not a problem at all. It looks great. And probably the best auto transmission in the mid-size segment, which has been widely praised by the press. It really is very quick to shift, and crisp.

Motor Trend:

Quote:
If you desire even a modicum of driving enjoyment from your midsize sedan, this transmission alone is a major reason to buy the Mazda6 over a new Honda Accord or Nissan Altima and their soggy CVTs, or the new Ford Fusion or Chevy Malibu and their stubbornly unresponsive autos.

Last edited:
Electricity isn't free?? But we're talking about a straight hybrid, not a plug-in hybrid, right? In which case, the batteries are charged by the vehicle; there is no outside/additional electric cost in the efficiency calculation.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I agree on an LX MT, though at 30k/year, hybrid may be a good choice.

300k is likely the break even point for price premium for hybrid vs base model/stick and fuel savings. The risk is a bit higher for expensive drivetrain related repairs vs a simple 2.4L motor coupled to manual gear box.

I agree.

A new Honda Sport is $24,200. The Hybrid is $29,300. This is "stick" price for the base models. I assume you can "knock off" about the same amount for either vehicle at the dealership, which around here, isn't going to be much.

So, the different is $5,100. The Hybrid will get 48-50 mpg's all day. I have 3 good friends who have these and drive the wheels off them. I have several friends, including myself, who have base model Accords, and we get 28-32 mpg's with our non-hybrid Accords. So, giving you the biggest margin in your favor, the Hybrid will get 48 mpg's and the regular sedan will get 32. That's 16 mpg's difference.

Assume you drive in 100,000 miles, at $2.50/gallon, the hybrid fuel cost would be $5,208/100k miles. The non-hybrid would be: $7,813/100k. So, the cost savings would be: $2605/100k miles.

So, theoretically, it would take you about 200k miles to break even....but oh yeah, electricity isn't free. The cost of power here in Indiana is cheap. So, I suspect the break even point would be around 250k miles.

September sales:
Camry 34,487 +16.1%
Accord 33,641 -2%; 854 -25.1%
Fusion 24,942 +15%
Altima 24,224 +11.8%
Malibu 17,066 +12.4%
Sonata 16,124
Optima 11,719
200 11,264 +3%
Passat 7,228 -.7%
Legacy 6,277 +1.3%
6 4,528 +6.2%

Those numbers are not unique to that one month. I don't think Mazda is sitting back and laughing at everyone else while Toyota sells seven (7) times more Camrys, "Haha those suckers have more dealerships and make more cars." I'm not saying the 6 isn't a very good car, it has to be given some of the press it's gotten, I'm saying the delta between the others, like Accord, may not be great enough to get it much consideration.

I just don't think its worth it to pay more for a Mazda 6 and then resell it for less later on compared to an Accord. $3-5k discounts can be had on Accords, and a 6 is like lucky to get sold at invoice.

If the economics don't convince you, check out this dyno of the 6MT accord

9A-pcd-dp-dyno.jpg

176.90 to the wheels with just an intake (doesn't do much) and 186.93 with their pre cat delete.

Or on temple of vtec they dyno a bone stock '13 EX 6MT for 178.77hp to the wheels. http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=1136687&page_number=2

I haven't found anyone posting a dyno of a Mazda 6, but i would venture a guess that its around 20hp lower than that Honda mill. The 6 is tuned for top notch MPG, so there is no doubt it wins in MPG.

Nothing wrong with loving the Mazda 6 but understand it costs more to own and goes slower, MT for MT.

For us it was ultimately the wife having better visibility and comfort in the Honda, and the $$$ and acceleration difference helped too.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I just don't think its worth it to pay more for a Mazda 6 and then resell it for less later on compared to an Accord. $3-5k discounts can be had on Accords, and a 6 is like lucky to get sold at invoice.

If the economics don't convince you, check out this dyno of the 6MT accord

9A-pcd-dp-dyno.jpg

176.90 to the wheels with just an intake (doesn't do much) and 186.93 with their pre cat delete.

Or on temple of vtec they dyno a bone stock '13 EX 6MT for 178.77hp to the wheels. http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=1136687&page_number=2

I haven't found anyone posting a dyno of a Mazda 6, but i would venture a guess that its around 20hp lower than that Honda mill. The 6 is tuned for top notch MPG, so there is no doubt it wins in MPG.

Nothing wrong with loving the Mazda 6 but understand it costs more to own and goes slower, MT for MT.

For us it was ultimately the wife having better visibility and comfort in the Honda, and the $$$ and acceleration difference helped too.

What's the advertised power of this thing? I'm guessing this is NOT the V6?

You guys and your sales numbers always crack me up.

Mazda does not have the production capacity that Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and Nissan have.
They literally can't build as many cars as the others can, so they will never be able to sell as many cars as they do.

But, here's the kicker:

The cars that they do build, they are able to sell all of them, without having to resort to selling to fleet buyers at a heavy discount, or sell to normal consumers at huge amounts below MSRP.

If you were in business, and had to choose between selling your product at the MSRP, or at a price below Invoice, which would you choose, that would be healthy for your bottom line?

BC.

They go pretty close to sticker and around here they rust quickly. No thanks, however I do like their look and performance. But the financial part of it equals, no thanks.

OVERKILL: The 4 pot Accord is rated for 185hp or 189hp in the sport trim and the V6 6MT puts down 258whp, per ToV's dyno.

They underrated the engine so people didn't think the power sapping CVT felt slow for its rating.

OVERKILL: The 4 pot Accord is rated for 185hp or 189hp in the sport trim and the V6 6MT puts down 258whp, per ToV's dyno.

They underrated the engine so people didn't think the power sapping CVT felt slow for its rating.

Gotcha. Yeah, the numbers definitely support that. What's the V6 rated for?

The V6 is rated at 278hp, so it is pretty healthy too. On the AT they got 240whp.

The V6 is rated at 278hp, so it is pretty healthy too. On the AT they got 240whp.

Yup, I've been in the V6, it moves out pretty well IMHO. I don't find the I4 very fun in comparison. Didn't know what it was rated for though.

I wouldn't consider the I4 fun like a powerful sports car or anything but it never feels like "man i shoulda got the V6" you know, in daily driving and such. Even on a short up hill on ramp to an 80 mph freeway it will get the job done. It has good solid torque, and the handling with the sport wheels is pretty good. I would like to sell the sport wheels eventually and do a light weight 17" setup and save at least 20lbs per corner. No TPMS in the wheels means i can bolt up whatever i want.

The 19" Mazda will corner better but at the price of ride quality before and after said corner.

I can't really comment on that aspect of it as I haven't had a daily driver with less than 350HP for a few years now, LOL!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I can't really comment on that aspect of it as I haven't had a daily driver with less than 350HP for a few years now, LOL!
wink.gif

I understand your screen name now
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rust_Belt_Pete
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
wink.gif

I understand your screen name now
smile.gif

LOL!
cheers3.gif

Quote:
No TPMS in the wheels means i can bolt up whatever i want.
What does that mean? Of course TPMS has to be in the wheel! I think you meant that they have individual proximity detector in the 'wheel well', so the car automatically knows the location of the TPMS in the wheel,

Originally Posted By: Vikas
What does that mean? Of course TPMS has to be in the wheel! I think you meant that they have individual proximity detector in the 'wheel well', so the car automatically knows the location of the TPMS in the wheel,

Nope, not with new Mazdas.

Mazda uses the wheel speed sensor to see if one wheel is spinning at a different speed than the other three tires. If it detects this under the right circumstances, then it sets off the tire pressure warning light.

That means no pressure sensors IN the wheels on a Mazda, which means I can switch between my stock wheels with the snow tires on them to the aftermarket wheels with the stock tires on them, whenever I want, and not have to worry about having to buy sensor rebuild kits anytime I swap tires on rims.

BC.

The Accord does not use TPMS sensors, it has regular valve stems, and computes low tire pressure with the ABS speed sensors. So any wheel is fine and just a quick reset if the diameter changes.

I got some ugly mustang wheels with brand new snow tires for cheap and all i have to do is bolt them on.

That's cheesy. I like seeing exactly how much air pressure each tire has without pulling the gauge out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back