Resurrecting 1954 Dodge 241 V8. No oil filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a 1954 Dodge C1 pickup with the 241 ci V8. It has no oil filter aside from the pickup screen. None. I'm going to buy a filter mount which takes a modern spin-on filter. I have to drop the pan and rear main bearing cap if I want to make the filtration full-flow.

My concern is cleaning out the engine too quickly and having trash circulate around ruining bearings. My thought is to use non-detergent oil 4:1 or 3:2 with the Delo 400 15W-40 I have on hand.

Once I have it running long enough to get hot I'll change the oil and see what comes out. I'll order some valve cover gaskets so I can inspect the top end to see what horrors lurk inside.

I've resurrected a lot of old engines. Just use the Delo oil (excellent choice) and change if frequently for a while. Do not worry about stuff coming loose and hurting anything if you're changing the oil frequently. Non-detergent oil will do nothing.

I know I've posted this before but you can get some plastic pipe with the inside diameter of a roll of toilet paper with a push fit. Insert the roll(s) and plug the center. Let the oil gravity feed down the pipe and through the toilet paper into a clean pan. Then put the oil back into the engine. Give the process overnight because it's very slow, which is good. The toilet paper will take all the bad stuff out plus the moisture without harming the oil or the additives. You'll see the crud on top of the toilet paper after the filtering.

Now you can change the oil frequently and get the worst of the crud out of there. What's left behind, the really tough stuff, can be left or removed with Auto-Rx.

Literally NO oil filter, or just a partial-flow (bypass) type? My '49 Plymouth had a bypass canister on the flathead six, and though I know it was optional in earlier years I figured it was standard equipment by the time the V8s rolled around. It wasn't long afterward that Chrysler switched to full-flow filters.

There's nothing really wrong with the bypass type for an engine of that age. The bearings are made to tolerate embedding small particles much better than modern bearings do.

Originally Posted By: CT8
At this point why don't you pull the engine and do a refresh?

Start looking up parts for the Dodge 241 and get back to me with an estimate for an overhaul. I'll give you a start, the full gasket set is $260.

The 56k on the odometer appears to be original and I'd like to keep most of the truck original with a few concessions to safety and reliability like radial tires, electric wipers, 12V electrics and seat belts.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Literally NO oil filter, or just a partial-flow (bypass) type?

None. The filter mount goes on the right rear corner of the Dodge engine just like the Chrysler poly and hemi. The filter mount isn't there. I'm getting this: http://www.hothemiheads.com/dodge/oiling_system/oil_filter_adapter_30d.html

This truck is about as basic as they come. No dome light and only a driver's side sun visor, but at least it has a heater! Oh, the 7 1/2" high-side cargo box was optional.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
This is about all the photos I have at the moment. I neglected to save the ones from the Craigslist ad.[...]
Very nice! Many thanks for sharing. Reminds me of something I would likely see on Route 66.

Skip the full flow filter and just use a Frantz filter.

Pull the valve covers off for an inspection. If not too bad, just run the 15w40. I am no fan of non-detergent oil.

It's lasted sixty years without a filter and you're worried about it?

Ah, BITOGers!

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Ah, BITOGers!

Care to look up rod bearings for this engine? It went 56k miles and then sat for over 30 years. For less than $100 I will have a good filter. Hopefully I have a serviceable engine at the end of the day and the filter could very well help meet that goal.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Ah, BITOGers!

and the filter could very well help meet that goal.

Or will reduce pressure enough to cause problems. I'd take measurements now and after. Or you'll hose something up during the install.

I'd just run the Delo400 and change it every 3K or twice a year if you drive less.

If you have to filter, I'd go the by-pass route as the engine will see full pressure and the by-pass will only clean a bit at a time. But over time, it'll get it all
smile.gif

Great Truck !

Are you going to repaint it ?
Will you keep the "Neuman Painting Contractor" stuff on the side?
I think it looks good with all the old wording on it.

I like your plan of action, with two slight mods. Short OCI's with PYB, and I'd pull the valve cover too. I think a non-detergent oil would be a waste of time and money.
49.gif

Nice pick for a restoration!

The idea behind the non-detergent oil was simply to slow the release of the gunk inside the engine so that it doesn't plug up the pickup screen or trash the bearings. This may not be an issue.

I'm more concerned about plugging the pickup screen and losing oil pressure that way than the small pressure drop across a full-flow filter. These engines came with full-flow canister filers and are supposed to have a filter bypass in the block.

The exterior will probably get a protective clear coat for preservation. I will be restoring the interior and restoring/repairing mechanical and electrical systems.

Yesterday after work I fired up the pressure washer and removed lots of accumulated grease from the suspension and steering. It was tough stuff and quite a bit remained so I sprayed it down with Gunk engine degreaser to hopefully soften up the crud and will attack it with scrapers and wire brushes. I see a Kano Labs order in my future. Kroil, Kreen, Floway and Penephite.

Thats a cool truck. Really dont see old Dodges around here. Id keep in the body the way it is and hot rod it. Thats just me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back