Where to find PUP or Castrol Edge Extended??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can no longer find Castrol Edge EP in a 0w-20 at my local Walmart. Has anyone been finding it or PUP in the same weight anywhere?

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Amazon has competitive prices to Wally World and if you're a Prime Member you get free 2 day shipping.

I did look on Amazon, how does the price match work for amazon?!

PUP costs four times as much as M1 EP. Why not get M1 EP? It's of higher quality than both Castrol EP and PUP anyway. PUP is a marketing gimmick. Even the vanilla PP is of higher quality.

How can you safely say that M1 EP is of "higher quality" than edge EP or PUP? Someone has some explaining here

Originally Posted By: car51
How can you safely say that M1 EP is of "higher quality" than edge EP or PUP? Someone has some explaining here

PAO brother.....lots of PAO

Originally Posted By: Polarisdude94
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Amazon has competitive prices to Wally World and if you're a Prime Member you get free 2 day shipping.

I did look on Amazon, how does the price match work for amazon?!

The prices are exactly the same right now, $26.68 for a 5 quart jug...however, I don't know that the 0w-20 Edge EP exists in a 5 quart jug as neither Walmart or Amazon even show it listed, only in individual quarts.

Amazon and walmart.com. When I bought my 10w-30 PUP, both websites had the same price so I chose Amazon to get that 2 day shipping since I'm a prime member.

I honestly don't know why Pennzoil even bothers to make PUP if they won't distribute it extensively. For example,my gf's tiny one traffic light town has one of those small old school Walmarts. It's FULLY stocked with PUP in every grade,both quarts and five quart jugs. It all just sits there collecting dust. BUT,none of the huge supercenters ever have it.

M1 EP 0W-20 is priced $3.74 after $2 rebate. PUP 0W-20 is priced $10.03 after $2 rebate. This is a huge price difference to justify PUP.

Recent TDS's showed that PUP 0W-40 had a NOACK of 13% and PUP 5W-30 11.5%. These rather unimpressive NOACK numbers show that its GTL base stocks are of rather low quality. They are more Group-III-like than GTL-like. On the other hand, M1's Group III+/IV/ester base stocks have a NOACK of 9% or less. In particular, M1 EP is half or more Group IV; so, its NOACK is probably around 7%. GTL is a form of Group III -- call it Group III++. However, Shell's Qatar/Pearl GTL base stocks probably don't even qualify for Group III+. They could be more like regular Group III. GTL in principle could be of high quality, close to Group IV (never equal though), but this is not necessarily so. Once again, Shell's Qatar/Pearl GTL base stocks don't seem to be of high quality. They probably couldn't figure out how the run their reactors efficiently and/or don't have the patience/economic justification to produce higher-quality GTL.

M1 EP is also guaranteed for longer OCIs thanks to its Group IV and strong additive package.

Infineum additive company is jointly owned by ExxonMobil and Shell; so, there is usually a tie in the additives. However, M1's additive package is hard to beat.

I wouldn't put too much trust in the initial GTL base stocks, which are of mixed quality, in comparison to M1's proven and well-tested technology.

Castrol? Their products vary in quality so much that I don't consider them. There are just too many dismal Castrol UOAs out there. The only think Castrol I trust and use is the DOT 4 GTLMA brake fluid, which is only found in ARCO/BP gas stations nowadays.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Recent TDS's showed that PUP had a NOACK of 13%, which shows that its GTL base stocks are of low quality. On the other hand, M1's Group III+/IV/ester base stocks have a NOACK of 9% or less.

Please provide current D5800 results for M1 EP 0W-20.

PUP 0w-20: http://www.pennzoil.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Pennzoil-Ultra-Platinum-0W-20-SN-GF-5-en-TDS.pdf

Again, unimpressive, Group-III-level NOACK, which you could easily achieve with any cheap, store-brand synthetic oil.

M1 0W-40 is 9% according to the Mobil Visom/New Life/Ages presentation. Don't have the number for M1 EP 0W-20 but it has a lot of Group IV; so, expect similar or better.

M1 EP 5W-30 has a NOACK Of 8.5% according to Amsoil (PDF link). M1 EP 0W-20 would likely be higher but still a lot better than PUP 0W-20. The old PU formulation had a lot of Group IV and was a top-quality oil. This is not the case with PUP, which is of mediocre quality at best.

M1 0W-40 is 9% according to the Mobil Visom/New Life/Ages presentation. Don't have the number for M1 EP 0W-20 but it has a lot of PAO; so, expect similar or better.

And? I can cherry-pick too: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w-30 is 5.7%. This not only absolutely annihilates your statements on GTL inferiority, but additionally using your logic, M1 0w-40 is now a horrid product.

If you're going to come on here and disparage a product, do it with relevant data, not supposition and misleading information.

M1 0W-40 is 9% according to the Mobil Visom/New Life/Ages presentation. Don't have the number for M1 EP 0W-20 but it has a lot of PAO; so, expect similar or better.

And? I can cherry-pick too: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w-30 is 5.7%. This not only absolutely annihilates your statements on GTL inferiority, but additionally using your logic, M1 0w-40 is now a horrid product.

If you're going to come on here and disparage a product, do it with relevant data, not supposition and misleading information.

NOACK greatly depends on the x in xW-y. Even with a Group II conventional oil, you can have a very low NOACK for 10W-30 because it's made of very thick base stocks. 6% is not an impressive NOACK number at all for a 10W-30. 3% would be.

NOACK greatly depends on the x in xW-y.

Thanks for re-iterating my point.

When you want to provide actual, relevant data for the 0w-20 in question, that'd be particularly helpful. As I said before though, to make weak accusations on the basis of inferred NOACK % from differing products is of no merit, whatsoever.

NOACK greatly depends on the x in xW-y.

Thanks for re-iterating my point.

When you want to provide actual, relevant data for the 0w-20 in question, that'd be particularly helpful. As I said before though, to make weak accusations on the basis of inferred NOACK % from differing products is of no merit, whatsoever.

We have comparative data both for 0W-40 and 5W-30, with M1 leaving PUP in the dust. From there, 0W-20 is a small extrapolation. Besides, we already have data for "0W-x" through the 0W-40 data.

Once again, PU was a great product. PUP greatly sucks (for lack of a better term) in comparison to PU. Shell's Pearl GTL base stocks aren't that great at the moment, at this early stage of the GTL technology. Efforts to justify it are rather futile. There are better oils out there than PUP, more readily and cheaply available.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I honestly don't know why Pennzoil even bothers to make PUP if they won't distribute it extensively. For example,my gf's tiny one traffic light town has one of those small old school Walmarts. It's FULLY stocked with PUP in every grade,both quarts and five quart jugs. It all just sits there collecting dust. BUT,none of the huge supercenters ever have it.

I want to move to that town!
smile.gif

NOACK greatly depends on the x in xW-y. Even with a Group II conventional oil, you can have a very low NOACK for 10W-30 because it's made of very thick base stocks. 6% is not an impressive NOACK number at all for a 10W-30. 3% would be.

Regular PP 10w30 has a NOACK of 4.7%, while PUP has a NOACK of 5.7%. The 10w30 PUP has a VI of 155 while 10w30 PP is 150. It's my thinking that whatever the additive or VI improver is in the PUP that cleans so well, also makes the oil more volatile. So it's my opinion that the PP is actually a better overall product than their PUP oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back