Getting conflicting recommendations-- Yamaha 250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey y'all,

Picked up a little 72 Yamaha DS7 250cc 2-stroke bike. Owner's manual suggests SAE 30W, 10W/30, 20W. Says "Where possible use two stroke motor oil for air cooled engines".

Not sure what to go with or where to find it-- have heard modern car oils are not the answer but all the motorcycle oils I see are labeled 4-stroke, and I've seen yamalube 2 stroke available online. Suggestions?

I also have a gearhead friend advising me to run some seafoam through this thing on the next tank, but I'm a little apprehensive. I've heard these older motors/seals are better off just living with a bit of uncleanliness, and I'm worried it's going to destroy seals etc and just kill the motor. Any thoughts?

Previous owner just said the main thing he did was use Stabil in the fuel tank.

Thanks!

Just go to Walmart and buy a gallon of two cycle oil. two cycle oil burns cleaner and don't leave as many deposits as regular auto oil. Not familiar with two cycle addives to clean up the fuel system and engine. As the cycle people on a cycle forum.. Ed

Use 2-stroke oil. Yamalube is great. I like Red Line.

I wouldn't worry about the Seafoam unless there's a particular problem you're trying to fix. Even then, I prefer Techron or Red Line SI-1 for cleaning the fuel system.

Sta-bil is for preservation of fuel. You can use it if the gas is going to be in the tank for more than a month.

Welcome to BITOG.

you want 2-stroke oil categorized for air-cooled engines; if you do not have a separate oil tank and oil injection system then you can use good quality premix concentrate and mix it with your gas in the fuel tank or in a separate gas can before putting gas into the fuel tank; if you have an injector system then you should use a 2-stroke injector oil (or an oil that can do both injector and premix);

as far as fuel additives you might want to avoid a 'shock' dose and use lower amounts over a longer period of time to do a gradual cleaning (with the understanding that your bike doesn't have a ton of deposits in the fuel system and combustion chamber); if your bike isn't running well due to fuel starvation then you might want to invest in a carburetor teardown & cleaning;

Seafoam is popular in the scooter/biker community and that recommendation doesn't suprise me; I have started using K100 MG+ as a cleaner and as an ethanol stabilizer for winter storage; during the normal running season I add Startron ethanol stabilizer if the bikes are gonna sit for more than 10 days to prevent f'd up fuel

I've used Red Line 2-stroke oil for years in all kinds of 2-stroke motors. Works great, burns very clean, no residue. So far 50:1 works for everything.

2 stroke oil goes in the gasoline and lubricates the crank and rod bearings and cylinder. On an old bike like that I.m guessing its recommended TCW. But like was said go to walmart and get a gallon jug I think they sell shell there. You should also find a forum for that bike and ask the crowd there for real life experiences.

The GEARBOX needs motor oil and if it has a WET clutch the oil should never be "Energy Conserving" type. I have used mobi1 synthetics my whole life in bikes NP. Synthetics in motorcycle gearbox result in buttery smooth shifts. One bottle of M1 cycle is all that thing will probably take.

Last edited:
That bike will have the Yamalube system. You put air cooled two stroke oil in a tank under the seat/side cover and it is metered to the engine by an oil pump driven off the right end of the crankshaft. You don't want two stroke oil that is for water cooled marine engines as they run cooler.

The transmission is another matter. I would got to a motorcycle dealer and by the correct oil. Kawiguy is right. Some of todays automobile oils are too slippery for the wet clutch.

I am not sure What seafoam does.Get 2 cycle oil from a M/C shop. Get some dexron ATF can for the trans or Rotella 10-30 . Those are nice bikes . Have fun.

You're correct, yamalube system with a separate oil pump from another reservoir. However, yamalube oil seems like it should be the right call-- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008N3JHZU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

there's a question about the RD250 which was the successor to the DS7, and was answered that this is the correct oil.

Hopefully ordering that is what I want?

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
That bike will have the Yamalube system. You put air cooled two stroke oil in a tank under the seat/side cover and it is metered to the engine by an oil pump driven off the right end of the crankshaft. You don't want two stroke oil that is for water cooled marine engines as they run cooler.

The transmission is another matter. I would got to a motorcycle dealer and by the correct oil. Kawiguy is right. Some of todays automobile oils are too slippery for the wet clutch.

Last edited:
The RD250 and the DS7 are very similar. The RD has reed valves and an extra gear in the transmission. Both use the same oil. Yamalube is definitely good oil but at a premium price. There are many other alternatives that are just as good. Just stick with a brand name and remember your engine is air cooled so an oil formulated for a water cooled engine may not be right.

My first bike was a 74 RD350...use Yamalube 2 stroke...& some new spark plugs. No cleaners needed.

Note: synthetic 2 stroke oils foul plugs less.

Last edited:
There are still a good number of 2 stroke oils available. Yamalube will work just fine. While outboard 2 stroke oil may not be ideal, as it's not really designed for air cooled engines, it will work OK. The little 250 is not a particularly hot running or highly stressed engine.

I've been a 2 stroke engine builder for 40 years now. The use of a quality oil will extend engine life. But under no circumstances does a 2 stroke engine prefer "a bit of uncleanliness". The air filter, fuel filter, fuel quality and, oil quality are all important.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back