Kubota G5200 wont start under own power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Warstud
I hope you didn't jump start that battery with the truck running?

I did. Ive always done it this way.
21.gif

That was assuming you had a 6v battery in the tractor. Also some charging systems in tractors just maintain the charge in the battery and do not fully charge it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I hope you didn't jump start that battery with the truck running?

I did. Ive always done it this way.
21.gif

That was assuming you had a 6v battery in the tractor. Also some charging systems in tractors just maintain the charge in the battery and do not fully charge it.

What makes you think it is 6 volts?

Googling the model number shows that the OP's tractor was likely made in the 1980's, about 40 years after 6 volt systems became obsolete.

This machine looks a lot like a typical mass market "garden tractor" that is intended almost exclusively for lawn mowing, except that it has a 3 cylinder 14 hp diesel engine.

A diesel engine combined with a tiny battery is going to be a world of maintenance headaches. Everything will need to be in peak condition for it to work. 4 years on the battery is likely too old, there just isn't any margin for wear out. You really need to test the battery voltage under starter load.

Originally Posted By: mk378
A diesel engine combined with a tiny battery is going to be a world of maintenance headaches. Everything will need to be in peak condition for it to work. 4 years on the battery is likely too old, there just isn't any margin for wear out.

That's absolutely correct.

These little engines, with 23:1 compression, require a significant amount of juice to not only light off the glow plugs, but turn over at adequate speed. Unfortunately, the G5200 configuration places the battery in a dismal location, and unless you relocate (to the front end), your options are limited.

Even new and fully charged, the little Kubota battery is barely adequate -- my battery puts out twice the power, and I wouldn't want anything smaller.

Long story short: At four years, it's toast. Get a new battery, and keep it on a good maintainer.

Sounds like the battery it is then. In all fairness, the PO "upgraded" to a 20 horse zero turn Toro and made the poor girl sit for 3 years in his barn. Ill try stuffing the other G's battery in there. It is between the radiator and the steering wheel so it'll be tight.

FWIW, the G1800 diesel is a 1995 and on its second battery. The OEM bit the dust back in 2009 or so. Aside from basic PM, she has been trouble free all these years. Pretty good for a mass marketed lawn mower I'd say.

Yes, its potentially actually a defective cam issue. Eventually it won't start, period. This is if it has a Kohler in the Kubota, not sure about other engines they used.

Originally Posted By: MikeHigg
Yes, its potentially actually a defective cam issue. Eventually it won't start, period. This is if it has a Kohler in the Kubota, not sure about other engines they used.

It's a D600 Kubota, which has zero in common with the Kohler you're referring to.

I have a Kubota D850 running a 6kw generator. I've owned this since bought brand new in 1983. Battery health is certainly important when cranking a diesel engine. In my application, I use a full size auto battery which fires the machine up instantly.

Not sure about the D600 but the D850 is equipped with a compression release lever that allows the engine to spin over with much less resistance. The best way to use this device is to glow the plugs, pull the compression release, spin the engine then quickly release the compression release lever while still spinning the engine. I've found over the years that this trick will work with a weak battery.

Another suggestion I strongly recommend is to run some high grade diesel fuel conditioner through the engine. Add a higher than recommended dose into your fuel tank and run it until you've burned most of it. Thereafter, it would be a good idea to add the recommended dose to your fuel every so often. It will make a difference in how quickly the engine starts. I know this from personal experience. It works.

I took the battery (Group size 51R) out of the G1800 and she fired right up. The only problem is that the battery is too big to get the holding brackets around. I need something roughly 7"x5" and it looks like an Oreilly's house brand 1990-2005 Mazda Miata battery is the closest thing I can find. 7.75"x 5.125".

If I drill the holes a bit larger in diameter on the existing bracket, it should work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back