Ford Focus ST Diesel Wagon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Review:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015...ad&click=yr

2015-Ford-Focus-ST-diesel-wagon-101-876x535.jpg

What exactly is the point of this car when something like a Honda Accord Hybrid accelerates faster (7.2 sec 0-60 for the Accord) and gets significantly better MPG (50/45 for the Accord vs 28/43 for the Focus Diesel)???

Not to mention that Diesel costs more in many parts of the US...

I could see the point of this wagon with a gas-electric hybrid drivetrain, but I just don't see what the big fuss is with diesels here. There's a huge MPG disadvantage vs. hybrids, plus the strict emissions regulations for diesels in the US mean lots of $$$ is required for maintenance (e.g. refilling the urea tank, HPFP filter failures, etc)

Last edited:
Cause that will get released in the USA anytime in the next million years. Did they consult with VW on how to pass emissions?!

Originally Posted By: AccordK24
What exactly is the point of this car when something like a Honda Accord Hybrid accelerates faster (7.2 sec 0-60 for the Accord) and gets significantly better MPG (50/45 for the Accord vs 28/43 for the Focus Diesel)???

Not to mention that Diesel costs more in many parts of the US...

Where is the wagon?

Does the accord really get 50mpg once you use the battery, say on a road trip? What mileage does the accord get on engine only.

The Accord hybrid would be better for commuter, short trips , but for the hwy diesel should get better mpg.

It looks a bit small for a wagon, but being diesel it should last a long time, without hybrid battery replacement.

having said that , i'm thinking about a leaf solely as a commuter car.

I've driven my sisters hybrid and i find that on the hwy the engine constant coming on and going off is annoying, probably not so annoying for around town and expressway driving. But after and hour, i was ready to get out of it.

I have to wonder how long the starters will last in these stop - start cars .

Ford should sell the wagon here too , I don't care if it's diesel , available gas engines are fine .

Last edited:
There is also the 3-series wagon diesel rated at 43 mpg hwy / 31 mpg city, but sadly BMW forces AWD and slushbox down your throat along with it...

1396733715000-P90095498.jpg

Hopefully BMW isn't playing the same games as VW with their emissions.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
I have to wonder how long the starters will last in these stop - start cars .

Ford should sell the wagon here too , I don't care if it's diesel , available gas engines are fine .

I agree the gasoline versions are nice too. I would bet that the crash tests have possibly been done for this model as well. If anything they could simply import the wagon from Europe to satisfy the demand in North America.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Does the accord really get 50mpg once you use the battery, say on a road trip? What mileage does the accord get on engine only.

The Accord is EPA rated for 50 mpg city and 45 mpg highway.

It's silly to talk about wagons in the States... but I like them too, so I'll let it slide.

I don't understand the diesel side of it though. It's not bringing anything to the table for a Focus ST. For a vehicle like a Cruze, the 2.0L diesel bring more power and a huge slab of usable torque over the 1.4L gasser. The 2.0L EcoBoost in the gas Focus ST already has both of those: Power and a lump of usable torque. The diesel presented here has *less* power and a similar torque curve, with a little more overall torque sauce (15 lb ft).

I just don't think a diesel variant needs the full-on performance edge that the ST brings. It's mentioned in the article. The VW Golf GTD is still sporty, but not as sporty as a GTI. That's a fair combination given the diesel powertrain characteristics.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

The Accord hybrid would be better for commuter, short trips , but for the hwy diesel should get better mpg.

It looks a bit small for a wagon, but being diesel it should last a long time, without hybrid battery replacement.

having said that , i'm thinking about a leaf solely as a commuter car.

I've driven my sisters hybrid and i find that on the hwy the engine constant coming on and going off is annoying, probably not so annoying for around town and expressway driving. But after and hour, i was ready to get out of it.

I have an accord hybrid. I do shirt tripping but a decent amount of longish (150-180 mile) driving too...

Ill say that on super short trips, Ive seen as low as 33 MPG (for the specific trip, the computer tracks since last turn-on as well as the whole tank). Ive also many, many times, achieved 70 MPG in the city doing just routine driving.

Ill typically get 45ish to work and 50-60 home. My drive is pretty flat, so not sure why.

On long trips, if doing all highway, whats interesting is that the car will change modes on the fly to increase MPGs. If you are driving over say, 72 consistently, you can be in the low 40s, like below EPA rated 45 hwy. If I took a true long-distance road trip, driving from fuel stop to fuel stop, I can see highway being between 40-45. But Id also be doing 700-ish miles between stops then, which isnt really practical. So in reality, I would see more like 45.

And Ive found that all but one tank, the car computer undershot the calculated MPGs based upon the amount of fuel I bought to top up.

But a wagon is, well, a wagon... And so it is handy, and if you do a lot of highway, the diesel will have favorable longevity performance, in my view, to a hybrid; ditto if you do low miles where the battery will chemically age without use, while the diesel will be good as new.

A reasonably priced ford diesel would be welcome. Im not shopping cars now, but I think it would be a winner. The VW sells like hotcakes, and I think a domestic brand would do well.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
There is also the 3-series wagon diesel rated at 43 mpg hwy / 31 mpg city, but sadly BMW forces AWD and slushbox down your throat along with it...

1396733715000-P90095498.jpg

Hopefully BMW isn't playing the same games as VW with their emissions.

This or an e-class wagon would be my desire. Id actually consider AT and AWD in an e-class wagon...

But I think the emissions thing is really due to VW thinking that golf and jetta owners are knuckle draggers who cant maintain their cars, so they cant add AdBlue urea solution. The BMW and MB, IIRC, passed the WVU tests clean and clear, and I suspect it is becaue NOx control is easy with the urea solution.

Since its available everywhere, I dont see why it would be difficult. I sort of wish VW had used that properly in the smaller cars to begin with. I think the Passat uses it, did the passat have issues?

Originally Posted By: AccordK24

The "point" is some people wouldn't be caught dead in a Honda, so they buy the car that they actually want. Maybe they buy a Ford!

We'll never get a Focus wagon in the US again because Ford is afraid to cut into the market share of their ridiculous "crossovers". Don't get me started on "crossovers".

The BMW is an entirely different price class though.

We will likely never see the GTD here just like the Focus. I talked to a Ford engineering guy when the focus first came out, Ford doesn't think people here will buy small diesels over small turbo gas engines.

Volkswagen was set to bring a Sportwagen AllTrack with TDI option before Dieselgate, sadly I suspect we won't see the TDI version (or the Tiguan TDI) now.

volkswagen-golf-alltrack-008-960x640.jpg

volkswagen-golf-alltrack-009-960x640.jpg

I just wish they made a car like the Focus wagon in rwd. I can fit my bike and both my kids bikes in the back without a problem. The only thing it really gives up on our CRV is a couple inches of rear seat room, and its slightly narrower. The Focus drives better, quieter, rides better, with 30-40% better mileage using a non-vvt motor.
There was a 1998 525d manual wagon that popped up for sale on kijiji yesterday. $7k with 70k miles, gone this morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back