rotate tires on a new-to-me BMW 335i?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
There are 'performance' benefits from rotating your tires. Rotating your tires can reduce tire noise by reducing the heal toe wear that develops naturally in a tire from rolling primarily in a single direction. Trailing edge of the tread blocks will wear faster than the leading edge, resulting in a 'saw-tooth' like profile which can generate a LOT of noise. Doesn't take much.

OP Update... I think jjjxlr8 hit the nail on the head. Examining the tires closely, I noticed a slight difference in tread block wear on the front tires compared to the rear tires. I went to my local tire shop and had the tires rotated front-to-rear, rear-to-front for free and immediately noticed a reduction in noise.

Barlowc, did you detect any deteriorate in performance/handling after rotation ?

I have tires on my E430 rotate regularly(5-6k miles) with front to rear cross, rear straight to front and never notice any differences in noise and performance/handling.

The one benefit with regular rotation is even wear(within 1/32") for all tires. So that when time for new tires I need to buy 4, and usually AT/DT has good sale(rebate) for a set of 4 on major holidays.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Barlowc, did you detect any deteriorate in performance/handling after rotation?

No. The steering feels a bit less tight at lower speeds, but that may just be my imagination. The vehicle is still very new to me and I'm not as attuned to things yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back