Android 6 is out

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Got the upgrade notification on my Nexus last night. So far initial impressions are positive however I found 5.1.1 fantastic too so there wasn't a HUGE room for improvement here.

Updated theme/text is quite nice. I'm watching battery life as it is supposed to be improved.

Screenshot? I had an interim patch on 5.1 come down (I assume it went from 5.1 to 5.1.1) and it changed the folders to round corners on the main screen and had a few other aesthetics, but nothing major.

Just curious what changes (visually) 6.0 brings...

Might be a horror movie in Cupertino
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
I thought that was a Sci-Fi or Horror Movie title.

j/k

Originally Posted By: Turk
I thought that was a Sci-Fi or Horror Movie title.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the Nexus 6 which is out. That's the line of replicants mentioned in Blade Runner. A classic piece of SciFi by Ridley Scott starring Harrison Ford.

How well does the new individual permissions work? I've always hated having a simple app that needed extensive permissions.

Originally Posted By: hatt
How well does the new individual permissions work? I've always hated having a simple app that needed extensive permissions.

The real question is, will apps still function properly when you block certain permissions?

They have had apps for a while that will block permissions, but they usually cause the app to not function properly or not at all.

The proper way to do it, would be to provide dummy info so that the app thought it was receiving the proper access to your info, but in reality, you aren't sharing everything.

I have it on my unlocked Nexus 5 that I purchased new on eBay 2 weeks ago. Being that the 5 is the old model and was replaced by the 5x, my 5 had Android v4 installed,but it instantly upgraded to 5 than 6 when I powered it up. The whole process took over an hour. I was impressed.

The nexus 5x has the fingerprint reader that is supported in android 6,but the 200 dollar price difference is not worth it for me.

My frustration with a locked Android phone on Sprint was the upgrades were slow and happened long after the new version was released. The upgrade to android 5 was never rolled out by sprint to my last phone. The upgrade cycle is fast on unlocked nexus phones.

I've heard Marshmallow gives better battery life and also better support for SD memory cards (if your phone has one). Sounds like a good improvement. That said, my smartphone is still on KitKat though it's supposed to upgrade to Lollipop "any day now". I don't think it will ever get the Marshmallow update, and it's only a year and a half old. I can't see buying a new phone just to get Marshmallow. I wish it was easier to get "old" phones updated.

My LG nexus phone was updated to 6.0.1 today. The battery life seems to be good with v6. I am usually able to go all day without recharging. My previous phones were not able to do that very often.

My LG G3 was one of the first phones to get CyanogenMod 13 (Marshmallow AOSP) and I have to say, it's a huge improvement even though there's still a lot of work to do on it.

Liking this OS very much.

My Nexus 5x had decent, but not great battery life on 6.0. Android OS and Android system were huge battery drainers - as much as the screen.

After 6.0.1 update, Android OS and System no longer show up as among the top battery drainers. They have fallen to near the bottom. And I've noticed my battery life has improved too. I got 5 hours of on-screen time with 20% left. On 6.0, I got 4.5 hours with 10% left.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Got the upgrade notification on my Nexus last night. So far initial impressions are positive however I found 5.1.1 fantastic too so there wasn't a HUGE room for improvement here.

Updated theme/text is quite nice. I'm watching battery life as it is supposed to be improved.

Which Nexus do you have?

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287

Which Nexus do you have?

Nexus 5. I'm now on 6.0.1, got that a few days ago.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287

Which Nexus do you have?

Nexus 5. I'm now on 6.0.1, got that a few days ago.

Those are nice phones. I'll have to check my wife's to see if she updated. I'd love to get a 6P since they're on Verizon.

Not sure Verizon sells the 6P although it certainly has the bands to work on Verizon. Problem is Verizon can be real jerks about activating a non-verizon phone. A neighbor of mine couldn't get a 5x activated so she finally bought a Droid Maxx from them.

That said, if you already have a nano sim in your current phone, you can just slip that right into a 6p or 5x and you are good to go. But if you need a new sim from them, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back