Pastured chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
What is known is the GMO companies are absolutely awful. Contaminating farmer's corps and then suing them for patent infringement. I avoid GMO as much as I can just so I don't give them sobs anymore than I have to.
I do the same besides the toxic level of the Round up ready crops.

Finally found a pastured chicken locally. Smothered fried the little guy. It was good but I'm not sure of any big difference in taste. Regular chicken is good cooked for two hours in peanut oil. Should have baked it. $16 was pretty steep for a four lb bird so I'm not sure of how many I will be buying. Another place has them for $3/lb. May try them if I'm ever in the area.

The toxics sprayed on the GMO crops are why I avoid them as possible. How many crops are drenched with bug poisons fungicides and with Round up on the round up ready crops .
If it Kills the bugs and plants it has to poison us. look at the postings about pollution etc yet people eat toxics without concern! Also I wonder about the actual nutritional value in foods grown in mineral depleted soils. And animals fed antibiotics daily with their feed to combat the junk they are fed and the close quarters they are raised in.

Finally found a pastured chicken locally. Smothered fried the little guy. It was good but I'm not sure of any big difference in taste. Regular chicken is good cooked for two hours in peanut oil. Should have baked it. $16 was pretty steep for a four lb bird so I'm not sure of how many I will be buying. Another place has them for $3/lb. May try them if I'm ever in the area.

If its really been on grass for the last 2/3 of its life, there should be no mistaking it. Not so much taste but the colors and the muscle density should stand out.
I guess ours are probably a quite a bit older as a 6-7lb bird takes the same amount of time to process as a smaller one, so that makes a difference too.

I'm sure they were raised in a chicken tractor sort of operation and still relied mainly on processed feed. I'm not sure those Cornish cross would forage if given the chance.

I'm sure they were raised in a chicken tractor sort of operation and still relied mainly on processed feed. I'm not sure those Cornish cross would forage if given the chance.

Most of ours seem to forage quite well, but we get all females and they have free run of the yard. They do eat quite a lot of grass if I keep it mowed as they like the new growth the most. I find the odd one that didn't seem to eat much grass as they have less yellowing of the fat/cartilage/skin. Also we just feed layer mash too, so I guess our methods aren't the most "efficient" but it works for us.

They are the cornish? How long are they taking to get to 6 lbs?

They are the regular white Cornish cross broilers, meat mutants. We might keep them for 3 months, sometimes a bit more or less. We kept one once that trimmed out to 10lbs, had it for Thanksgiving, but it was a bit too fatty even for us.
Kept outside with regular exercise and restricted feeding, they can live quite well for quite a while.

Thanks. If I can find some local I may pick up a few and let them run around with my hens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

They are the regular white Cornish cross broilers, meat mutants. We might keep them for 3 months, sometimes a bit more or less. We kept one once that trimmed out to 10lbs, had it for Thanksgiving, but it was a bit too fatty even for us.
Kept outside with regular exercise and restricted feeding, they can live quite well for quite a while.

How do you knock them out permanently before throwing them in the fryer? Conk them on the back of the head while their not looking with a heavy metal pan?

You just grab them and break their necks and then bleed, pluck and gut them. My neighbor raised Emu those scared me.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

How do you knock them out permanently before throwing them in the fryer? Conk them on the back of the head while their not looking with a heavy metal pan?

I've used the axe, knife, but now we use a piece of heavy rebar on a concrete patio slab. Put the rebar over the neck and step on both ends and pull up by the feet... Head comes off and put the chicken upside down in a traffic cone to bleed out. The trick is to get the hot water the right temperature to loosen the feathers and then the drum plucker gets 99% of them off in a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back