What tire would be best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I checked and our supplier also has a limited special purchase of Toyo Extensa tires in my size.
Reviews on the Toyo are not to good complaints of poor wet traction and loud road noise.
The Hankook H727 also worries me with complaints of excessive noise as they age.
I see there is no love for the Uniroyals here.
So tomorrow I will order a set of the BFG advantage T/As.

I will give a full report after they are mounted and I get a few miles on them.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Hands down winner would be the Made in America BFG Advantage T/A tires.

HTH

Problem with BFG is that they have the worst warranty policy.

Well a new development.
I know almost nobody here likes Uniroyal but the sales rep for our tire supplier is going to give me two Uniroyals to try out and discount two more if I wanted a set.
He said the AWP II were OE on some GM vehicles and would be a good fit for our van.
So for $110.00 I can have a full set of new tires.
Can't pass up free tires
smile.gif
so I am going to give them a try and will let you all know how they work out.

Stay away from the Hankooks. Not worth the money.

I would go with Cooper CS5 Grand Touring. Very good overall tire (better than what you have listed) and likely cheaper than all.

Had Uniroyal Tigerpaw Touring. They get louder as they wear down.

I also recommend Cooper CS5 Ultra or Grand Touring. I switched to those about 10k miles ago and they perform very well.

Update
Had the Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II tires installed a few weeks ago and here are some initial observations.

They have (to me) a odd tread pattern. instead of a center rib around the tire they have a center groove. The tire has a square shoulder and the tread is noticeably narrower than the original and other tires of the same size.

They did balance well with little weight.
They are quiet on the freeway and ride very good, they ride much better than the old tires.
Handling and road feel is a little less precise but a good trade off for the better ride on a mini van.
We took a weekend trip to Texas and noticed on the freeway they don't track straight as well as the old tires but not to bad.
They did do amazingly well in the rain. No hydro plane and felt secure in some heavy rain on the freeway.

So far they seem ok. Will see how they hold up and do with time.

New tires 215/70R15 Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II
Old tires 215/70R15 Hercules Ultra Touring

Nice. Those wouldn't have been my first choice but I would have done the same as you- can't pass up on a deal like that. Keep us updated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back