Zetec WP / timing belt question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

My 2002 ZX-2 is nearing 80K on the original timing belt and I'm ordering parts to change it. I also plan to change the serpentine belt because it's the original.

I notice that the water pump on the DOHC Zetec is ran off the serpentine belt rather than the timing belt which makes me wonder if I really need to change it now (it's much easier to do later on if necessary because the timing belt doesn't need to be removed).

Some on the ZX-2 forum complain about the quality of aftermarket water pumps and I'm wondering if the OE Motorcraft might last longer?

My questions are:

1) Does the new serpentine belt and tensioner put more strain on the old water pump than if it hadn't been changed?

2) Is the old water pump more likely to leak because of the new belt/tensioner?

I realize these are really the same question but I'm really just looking for knowledgeable opinions?...Thanks

PS: I realize that changing the WP on a vehicle that runs it off the TB (like most Hondas) is common sense but that's not the case with my Ford.

I'm no expert but I think all water pumps run off the serpentine belt not the timing belt. T

You have to remove the WP to replace the timing belt. The WP doesn't run off the timing belt. Since you have to take the WP off, you might as well put a new WP on. They're not expensive.

Last edited:
If you decide to replace the pump uses a ford pump if your not going to use a oem pump your better off just keeping the old one imo.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I'm no expert but I think all water pumps run off the serpentine belt not the timing belt.

No, in many applications the water pump is driven by the timing belt.

As far at the OP's question is concerned, the life of the original water pump shouldn't be impacted by installing the new timing belt. Though I'm sure others will disagree, I personally would not change it at this point, particularly with the relatively low mileage and the easy access to the pump.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
Originally Posted By: Leo99
I'm no expert but I think all water pumps run off the serpentine belt not the timing belt.

No, in many applications the water pump is driven by the timing belt.

As far at the OP's question is concerned, the life of the original water pump shouldn't be impacted by installing the new timing belt. Though I'm sure others will disagree, I personally would not change it at this point, particularly with the relatively low mileage and the easy access to the pump.

Told you I was no expert. Thanks for the correction.

On rockauto the MC pump is $60 while a Gates pump is $26. This is for the 2.0 dohc engine.

Since it's not driven off of the timing belt and failure of it isn't going to trash the valves / engine, I'd leave it on for now. Especially since there are problems with aftermarket ones. Mayyyyyybe pull it off to see the condition of the impeller.

Putting on a new belt and tensioner shouldn't cause too many problems. If it was a manual tensioner and you had the ability to overtighten it ... then it may cause issues.

I would be a bit worried about a 13 year old timing belt and idlers, though!

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
On rockauto the MC pump is $60 while a Gates pump is $26. This is for the 2.0 dohc engine.

Gates water pumps are Chinese-made units, hence the low price.

I used the one that came in the timing belt kit for my Subaru a few years ago and put about 20k miles on it without issue, but it wouldn't have been my first choice.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
If you decide to replace the pump uses a ford pump if your not going to use a oem pump your better off just keeping the old one imo.

That's what I'm thinking.

Even the Motorcraft replacement pump has a plastic impeller so who knows if it's as good as the OE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back