90 Second oil change?.... Castrol nexcel

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/10/08/castrol-engine-oil-advancement/73527408/
phpybvuvk.jpg

Funny the previous thread created on this site was about the same thing. About 3 mins earlier. Hopefully the oil filter will be top side unlike the cartridge type buried underneath.

Oils expensive enough, last thing I want to do is have to pay for a replacement canister. Its a good idea, but if it triples the cost for me to change my oil I'm not really intrested.

If I was to guess I would say the filter is built into the canister and it would all have to be replaced each time.

Last edited:
If the filter is integral, maybe the oil sump cell is recycled.
It seems like a few standardized cells to fit most cars would become the norm.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
I don't think it'll take off. That looks like a $75 or more oil change.

More then that, might just be shiny paint but that canister looks like carbon fiber to me. That would be one big expense.

This will NEVER take off. Car Manufacturers paying licensing fees to add it to the car THEY design? No way.

The best thing that ever happened to a Dealership is the oil change.

Cars not needing oil changes anymore or a simple DIY is keeping someone up at night I'm sure.

Originally Posted By: Falken
This will NEVER take off. Car Manufacturers paying licensing fees to add it to the car THEY design? No way.

Cars not needing oil changes anymore or a simple DIY is keeping someone up at night I'm sure.

Unless it physically requires you to purchase/order it from a dealership...

Originally Posted By: 3800Series

Unless it physically requires you to purchase/order it from a dealership...

I think there's a law to prevent a dealership from making it not possible to DIY. The canister would have a core charge and be reused, I'm guessing. Since the first one comes with the car, folks will just exchange them. Bring in the used and buy a new one or recycled one. Maybe it would cost $50-75 and be filled with 20k mile OCI oil and filter. Not a bad deal at all.

If Nexcel appeared in mainstream vehicles, the replacement cell would be commoditized in no time.

So long as Castrol didn't charge exorbitantly for the license, you'd be able to get them from Costco, Walmart, wherever.

Oils expensive enough, last thing I want to do is have to pay for a replacement canister. Its a good idea, but if it triples the cost for me to change my oil I'm not really intrested.

I agree. Why are they trying to fix something that isn't broken? Oh yeah, it's going to cost much more. Convenience items always do.

If I was to guess I would say the filter is built into the canister and it would all have to be replaced each time.

Of course!

Last edited:
They should offer this with different oil brands. 90 second oil change...hmmm as much as love maintaining my vehicles, if it was reasonably priced I wouldn't mind it..especially if it was cold out.

Just think...have a spare or two in the garage, no matter the weather, no matter the timing of an upcoming trip, you could change the sump quick. I spend 90 seconds just checking the dipstick some days.

It would have to be able to use different oil than Castrol tho...the name alone would make it a no go for me.

Last edited:
Hmmm, so is this a dry sump system if it is all the way up? I'd imagine pumping oil all the way up and outside the engine structure means additional cost, for nothing. There will be an additional pump and additional space wasted in the engine bay. The only benefit is a reduced oil pan size means the engine height is reduced and you get lower center of gravity.

The canister is not a problem if they can make a reusable one for those who want to reuse it, which, defeat the purpose of the system. Or it would be like battery which you needs to return the core back to the store and reusing it risk leaking or cracking and damaging an engine as a result.

3800, their favorite place for your car is on a lift... Looking for "problems" to fix... The upsell is what it is all about.

I can't argue with that. I meant more along the lines of licensing then requring you buy it from them or so.egging along thoses lines to keep your warranty.

Wouldn't be the first time they have attempted something like that. If it was up to them every manufacturers equipment would be proprietary.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Hmmm, so is this a dry sump system if it is all the way up? I'd imagine pumping oil all the way up and outside the engine structure means additional cost, for nothing. There will be an additional pump and additional space wasted in the engine bay. The only benefit is a reduced oil pan size means the engine height is reduced and you get lower center of gravity.

The canister is not a problem if they can make a reusable one for those who want to reuse it, which, defeat the purpose of the system. Or it would be like battery which you needs to return the core back to the store and reusing it risk leaking or cracking and damaging an engine as a result.

Would you really want to use somebody else's old core?

Looks like one of those solutions to a problem that doesn't exist. People with money to burn have a mechanic to do it the rest of us would never trust the black box replacement approach.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Would you really want to use somebody else's old core?

it's just like Ink Jet printer Cartridges. within a year there would be storefronts either refilling, or "re-manufacturing" them. you would see cheap refill Kits sold on late night tv,
there would be horror stories of the reused models leaking everywhere, or the car simply wouldn't recognize the After market part, etc.

and of course, instead of one standard unit, every auto manufacturer would have to sell dozens of incompatible cartridges.

seriously, it'd be just like the printer ink racket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back