MLB Baseball Playoffs!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a baseball fan all my life. I watch the playoffs every year, regardless, of who is in it. Amazingly, my Chicago Cubs (3rd best record) seem to be capable of going on a run. Baseball is about peaking at the right time. The Cubs have won 9 games in a row. Naturally, the media and other fans are hyping the 100+ years of losing. The various "curses" of the past having little effect on this years team. I think the L.A. Dodgers are the team to beat though. In the A.L., I like the Blue Jays. Who do you like and why????

I wish I could go back to the beginning of the season and put some money on the Cubbies!

How 'bout those Yanks!
crackmeup2.gif

What do the Yanks and the Cubbies have in common? Neither team has won a world series since their new stadiums were built...seriously, I'm not much of a baseball fan (football is my sport), but as with any sport, I get sick of seeing the same teams win all the time....can another team other than the Cards please win a WS? I'm sick of them and the Giants...

Originally Posted By: grampi
What do the Yanks and the Cubbies have in common? Neither team has won a world series since their new stadiums were built...seriously, I'm not much of a baseball fan (football is my sport), but as with any sport, I get sick of seeing the same teams win all the time....can another team other than the Cards please win a WS? I'm sick of them and the Giants...

Browns fan? They seem to be a mess this year!

I am a casual baseball fan and I like watching the playoffs and series. I think Toronto is and should be favored in the AL. The NL is a tougher one to pick. I see and hear plenty about the Dodgers since they are local but I don't really think they have what it takes.

Gotta love the Cubs. Whether they are winning now or not. They have always been a classy team, loveable underdogs.
I have been a Mets fan my whole life, but often have found myself cheering the Cubs on. I'll never forget growing up and watching them on WGN after school. I loved listening to Harry Caray sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch.

Originally Posted By: salv
Gotta love the Cubs. Whether they are winning now or not. They have always been a classy team, loveable underdogs.
I have been a Mets fan my whole life, but often have found myself cheering the Cubs on. I'll never forget growing up and watching them on WGN after school. I loved listening to Harry Caray sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch.

Grew up near Chicago and saw Steve Stone (Harry's broadcast partner, former pitcher) pulling up into one of the tiny parking lots near Wrigley in a very nice Porsche, hopped up 911-type, before a weekend game. I yelled out, "NICE RIDE!!!" and he gave me a little nod as he got his stuff out of the car. My buddy then called out, "WHAT DOES HARRY DRIVE???"
Stone stopped what he was doing, looked at my buddy with an expression that implied he was an idiot, shook his head, and replied, "Harry doesn't drive!"

(for those of you who aren't familiar with Harry...he was usually drunk by the 3rd inning)

Last edited:
My Cardinals are the best team in MLB for a reason. The Cardinals simply WIN.

It is cool that the Cards and Cubs are finally going to meet in the post season.

I predict the Cardinals in 4 over the Cubs. The Cardinals will then meet the Dodgers in the NLCS and the Cardinals will prevail in 6. The Cardinals OWN Kershaw in the playoffs.

New Yankee Stadium opened in 2009, the Yankees won the World Series in 2009.

New Busch Stadium was opened in 2006, can you guess who won the World Series in 2006?

If people are sick of the Cardinals, then try and bet them!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: stchman
New Busch Stadium was opened in 2006, can you guess who won the World Series in 2006?

Whichever team plays there as the home team would be my guess.

Originally Posted By: stchman
My Cardinals are the best team in MLB for a reason. The Cardinals simply WIN.

It is cool that the Cards and Cubs are finally going to meet in the post season.

I predict the Cardinals in 4 over the Cubs. The Cardinals will then meet the Dodgers in the NLCS and the Cardinals will prevail in 6. The Cardinals OWN Kershaw in the playoffs.

I went to school in StL and it was a GREAT baseball town. I never had any particular love for the Cards (other than Stan Musial and Jack Clark), but you can't help but respect that organization.
Hurts the Cubs to have used Arrieta in the WC game, and I hope he doesn't have any ill effects from that [censored] HBP. No matter what his past playoff performance, nobody wants to face Kershaw (and Greinke) in a short series.
Unfortunately, I feel the Cards will take the Cubbies, but then fall to the Dodgers.

Harry Carey was one of the greats. Of course, in todays world it would be PC to show the announcers drinking a few cold ones in the booth.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Harry Carey was one of the greats. Of course, in todays world it would be PC to show the announcers drinking a few cold ones in the booth.

Caray was entertaining but his slurred speech due to intoxication in his earlier years was far from entertaining. His speech problems in his later years I believe were due to his health problems.

The best thing about Harry Caray was his genuine emotion and homer-ism during his broadcasts.

One of the many interesting factoids about the Caray family one of my personal favorites is from Harry's son Skip.
"Ron Hudspeth for a critical column in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Caray paid to have an airplane tow a banner above Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium during a Braves game which read, "For a good time, call Rona Hudspeth," and included Ron's actual phone number."

Chip Caray Harry's grandson is a very good baseball broadcaster in his own right.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver

Browns fan? They seem to be a mess this year!

No, I'm a Redskins fan...they're a mess too!

I'm thinking Toronto versus Chicago in the World Series That would be exciting, eh?? Of course, you guys know who I'm pulling for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back