Meets or Exceeds DD 93K214

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Originally Posted By: Dak27
Total newbie here, I use Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40 in my Detroit Series 60 motor. Mobil's website, 1300's product label, and DD's online material all show it meets the DD Spec., but after looking at this info, I can't tell if 1300 Super isn't up to snuff or not.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dak

Dak, no worries..the delvac 15W40 has HTHSV of 4.3 which is well above the required minimum of 3.7 (to meet DD's spec). That's very important. I can't vouch for flashpoint or sulfur content, but the phos and zinc levels are up to par with required specs. You're good to go with 1300.

Thanks, Dusty, and Tired Trucker!

I had time to read this thread and the one attached to it, so now I understand it's topic a bit more.

I ran my last OCI to almost 12,000 miles/295 hours on the 1300 Super, and I didn't have to top off my level once, which really impressed me. I have 9500 miles/190 hours and counting on this run, and I my oil level is still right at the full line. It seems it agrees with my Series 60.

I have a fellow Owner Operator that runs Delo 400 in his 389 Peterbilt/ISX Cummins and pulls Super Tankers, who tells me I should switch over to Delo 400, as in his mind, it's the *Best* of the Big Three. I go back and forth on switching, but I'm hesitant to do so, as the same fellow told me when he switched from Delo to Rotella-T his oil consumption went way up; he told me "Pick a Brand, and Stick with it."

I countered by telling him that I've used pretty much *every* name brand (I look for Deals at Walmart, come OCI time)of 10W30/5W30 in my '97 Ford 460, and it's still running strong, no consumption, etc.

I've never been "Brand Loyal", I'm too cheap I guess.
laugh.gif
I've always figured as long as it's a Major Brand oil that meets/exceeds my engine's specs, it's more than good enough.

Take care, and be safe!

Regards, Dak

Motors and oil are like small caliber rifles and ammunition.

I can take two fine crafted .22 rifles from different manufacturers and feed them the same high quality brand of ammo, and I will get different results, with one rifle shooting a tad better than the other rifle. I can then switch brands of ammo, selecting another high quality brand, and the results may end up being reversed on which rifle shoots best. Nothing wrong with either rifle or the ammo. It is just that one rifle gets best results from one brand and the other rifle gets best results from another brand. One of those little mysteries of life.

Motors are very similar. Rotella, Delo, Delvac, Schaeffer, and the list goes on, are all great oils. What particular brand delivers the best results is up to the engine in question. I had one motor that dearly loved Kendall 15w40. I had another that had a preference for Mystic JT-8 15w40 blend. My present one has gotten the best results out of a Schaeffer 15w40 blend. I even tried the Delo in this motor and it did not play well with this motor. But, Delo is a good oil. Just not in this motor.

Folks swear by a brand, and it may in fact be the best brand... for their motor. That doesn't mean it is the best brand for everyone else.

My Detroit 60 gets 25,000 mile OCI's. In that time, it uses about 2 qts. I can live with that. But the great test is on with the next oil change. Instead of Schaeffer 700 15w40 blend, it will be getting Schaeffer 711 10w30 blend. Gonna watch this one pretty close.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Motors and oil are like small caliber rifles and ammunition.

I can take two fine crafted .22 rifles from different manufacturers and feed them the same high quality brand of ammo, and I will get different results, with one rifle shooting a tad better than the other rifle. I can then switch brands of ammo, selecting another high quality brand, and the results may end up being reversed on which rifle shoots best. Nothing wrong with either rifle or the ammo. It is just that one rifle gets best results from one brand and the other rifle gets best results from another brand. One of those little mysteries of life.

Motors are very similar. Rotella, Delo, Delvac, Schaeffer, and the list goes on, are all great oils. What particular brand delivers the best results is up to the engine in question. I had one motor that dearly loved Kendall 15w40. I had another that had a preference for Mystic JT-8 15w40 blend. My present one has gotten the best results out of a Schaeffer 15w40 blend. I even tried the Delo in this motor and it did not play well with this motor. But, Delo is a good oil. Just not in this motor.

Folks swear by a brand, and it may in fact be the best brand... for their motor. That doesn't mean it is the best brand for everyone else.

My Detroit 60 gets 25,000 mile OCI's. In that time, it uses about 2 qts. I can live with that. But the great test is on with the next oil change. Instead of Schaeffer 700 15w40 blend, it will be getting Schaeffer 711 10w30 blend. Gonna watch this one pretty close.

I'll be watching to read your findings with the Schaeffer semi-syn 10W30 HDEO. I intend to try Delvac Elite 10W30 semi-syn once the colder Winter months set in.

I'm assuming you don't agree with what my friend prescribes to never switch brands in the same motor, as I recall you at one time ran Delo in your Series 60. (?)

I've also heard the same thing from my Auto Mechanic friends many years back, and my Dad used to say the same thing. Their opinions were one company's additive package could "clash" with a different company's additive package. Their horror stories sounded like the motor would implode!
grin.gif

I've never been brand loyal in any of my automobiles or my pickup trucks. I've pretty much always bought low miles used pickups/automobiles; so I had no idea which brand of oil they used. Like I said before, when it's time to do an oil change, whichever big name brand is on end aisle special at Walmart gets bought. -although I have been brand loyal to Mobil 1 HM 5w30 in my '97 Ford pickup as I've read horror stories about lower zinc levels in SN oils, so I guess I do buy into the b.s. a little!
grin.gif

Take care, -Dak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back