Best CCW carry pistol ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Glock 21 .45acp but it's too big for concealed carry, and I'm not an open carry advertiser type... prefer to be discreet. I have a Bersa .380 (PPK clone) but want more punch. Have a snub .38 (Taurus model 85) but prefer semi autos. Was looking at the Springfield Armory XD-S 3.3" single stack .45ACP in bi-tone (bright plated slide). The XD-S is interesting.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xd-s-3-3-45-acp/

SR9c is what I conceal. It's small, light, and accurate. Holds 10+1 with the small mag. The XD-S is a nice gun too. I considered one, however it costs about $175 more than the SR9c

Last edited:
I've always liked Ruger. 1st pistol I ever shot was as a boy, my dad trained me with a Ruger .22 cal semi auto. I forget the model name but they were hugely popular and looked similar to a German Luger.

Just get a smaller Glock. 19,26,43,etc. XDs are poor choices thanks to the grip safety.

Like my Glock 21 but aesthetically I think Glocks are butt ugly. They work good though.

Tough question to answer. Your XD-S is an excellent choice.

I carry a Cold 1911, probably because of military training and a combat tour.

There are lots of very good choices. Get some professional training and range time. Then pick one.

Then remember. Nothing beats training and range time to make your choice the correct one.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Like my Glock 21 but aesthetically I think Glocks are butt ugly. They work good though.
Are you using it for defense or to admire? None of the modern polymer guns are pleasing to the eye. Glocks are cheap, durable, reliable, resistant to sweat, easy to work on with parts everywhere, compact packages.

I've always liked Ruger. 1st pistol I ever shot was as a boy, my dad trained me with a Ruger .22 cal semi auto. I forget the model name but they were hugely popular and looked similar to a German Luger.

Probably a Mark 2. Those things are great plinkers and for first time shooters. Accurate and darn reliable. I have one myself and love it.

Rugers are nice pistols as a whole. The SR9c is hard to beat in terms of a capable carry weapon with smaller size and good stopping power.

I would also look into the S&W M&P series. Few friends of mine are LEOs and switched from Glock to these.

Best ccw pistol?
That is very specific and personal, might as well ask which underwear is the most comfortable or which oil is the best without giving the car and engine info.
Too many factors.

I've settled on two Rugers, depending on the circumstance - SR9c and LC9 with laser sights. Carry comfortably.

With good ammo I am more than happy with my Smith Airweigt .38 and Sigma .380.
I don't feel I need more fire power. To each his own.

They are like pugs. Great dogs, but very ugly.

*How about a G27? The stubby 40 cal.

Last edited:
Had an XD-S but sold because I didn't like the grip safety. I carry either Ruger LC9 (new striker fire) or S&W M&P Shield 9 mm depending on my mood. Both are great guns.

I like my G23 gen4, but it is definitely on the large side. Looking forward to eventually acquiring something like the G43 or Shield.

How are you going to carry it?

I also like the PPK, in .32, short grip (S?).

Not a lot of firepower, but it has a longish barrel and sights well, easy follow on shots, fits comfortably in the pocket of slacks or a suit, has an incredibly high DA trigger pull so is not likely to be fired unintentionally, and is just a nice gentlemans weapon.

The Sig P238 is nice as well, but operates like a 1911. I think the SCCY 9mm is nice and sometimes I'll carry that. The Ruger LCR is also nice if you want to carry a revolver. The Beretta Tomcat is small, a bit on the heavy side, but very accurate for a short barrel.

If .380ACP isn't enough (as the OP stated), the next smallest you're going to find are the single-stack nines:
-Keltec PF9
-Ruger LC9/LC9s
-Sccy CPX/CPX2
-Glock 43
-Taurus PT709
-Kahr CM9
-etc., etc.

I picked up a Taurus PT709 for carry about a month ago and it's been working very well for me thus far. I've shot 150-200 rounds through it with perfect reliability. I've been meaning to do a little review of it on here, but I'll probably wait until I have a chance to shoot it some more.

Also: http://www.gunsandammo.com/handguns/compacts/single-stack-9mm-shootout/

There is no "one size fits all" carry weapon. Things to ask yourself are:
What type of weapon do you want to carry?
How many rounds do you want?
What caliber?
Do you want it to fit all styles of dress (causal, summer, etc)?
How will you carry (ankle, paddle, IWB, pocket)?

I'm required to carry for my job (15+yrs.) I have four concealed carry weapons with multiple holsters that I cycle through. Time of the year and my style of dress determine which one and how I carry it.

Not saying you need to run out and buy four weapons. Just realize your clothing can limit (or prevent) your carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back