New Keys easily hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great thing to wake up to this morning - scroll down to see the affected cars.

Mine are on the list -
frown.gif

-research.html]Link to article

Yeah I think something similar was happening with the fords.
People who lived down south and traveled to Mexico on a daily basis had cartels follow them and put "packages" in their trunks and suck and retrieve them when they came across the border.

Not quite as easy as it says. First they need to catch the code twice, then work through the remaining 200000 combinations for a half hour. That gets them into the vehicle, but doesn't start it unless it has push button start. To start one without push button start, they need to spoof the proximity RFID tag inside the actual key as well. I suspect if someone is putting that much effort into stealing your car, they'll get it one way or another. A flat deck tow truck can grab it much faster...without all the electronic snooping.

Quote:
However, the three men discovered that by tuning in to the wireless communication between the car and the transponder just twice, it was possible to narrow the number of potential combinations down to just 200,000.
Automated 'cracking' programmes could then try every one of those 200,000 codes in just half-an-hour.

The automakers are always going to battle the car thieves. The car makers come up with a new system, thieves work around it, always going to be this way.

Yep, but it's still way better than it used to be. A determined thief (including those in organized crime) won't be stopped in a completely effective fashion. But, the days of kids going for a joyride with a screwdriver, hopping into the nearest GM are effectively over. Joyriders here usually find the first vehicle with keys left in it, and that doesn't seem to take very long, for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back