Polycase ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.
"My understanding is its magic"

What a great explination
confused2.gif

Big article in G&A on it. Ruger is offering it too. Some interesting properties. Performs better than I would have thought.

Cool. I'd use it but I already have 50 rounds of PDX1 and I only shoot FMJ at the range.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Looks like it performs similar to regular ball ammo. Ball ammo doesn't cost much.

Ball ammo penetrates like 25-30 inches and doesn't disturb the tissue. This ammo would be superior to ball ammo for self defense.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: hatt
Looks like it performs similar to regular ball ammo. Ball ammo doesn't cost much.

Ball ammo penetrates like 25-30 inches and doesn't disturb the tissue. This ammo would be superior to ball ammo for self defense.
The very light weight and high velocity is what's acting on the gel. Is that going to translate to a target trying to kill you? That energy will quickly be shed if it meets any barriers like a hand, or forearm, etc. I'll take the ball over that.

So you fire again. The reported low recoil is a plus for follow-up shots. Someone gets shot in the hand or forearm is going to have an effect on their intentions, unless you're up against the legendary unstoppable drug crazed junkie.

Last edited:
Sure. And I'll stick with my preferred brand for now. But to just blow off something new as junk or a gimmick is a wee bit narrow-minded.

The bullets ending up backwards is easy to understand. They're back heavy. The heavy end wants to lead and at some point it will. Wonder what these do at longer ranges?

If I reach the point where I need the perp is in a world of hurt regardless of what ammo I am shooting. Highly unlikely they would ever reach me anyway.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Sure. And I'll stick with my preferred brand for now. But to just blow off something new as junk or a gimmick is a wee bit narrow-minded.

The bullets ending up backwards is easy to understand. They're back heavy. The heavy end wants to lead and at some point it will. Wonder what these do at longer ranges?
most FMJ bullets will do a 180 spin.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
I wonder if they feed reliably with the flutes.

It was the October issue of "Shooting Times" that profiled the poly case. It feeds reliably, it shoots faster and flatter, doesn't foul barrels and performs very well in ballistic gelatin.

It's heavy, a polymer, copper compound. No feed issues. I'd pick up the magazine and read for yourself. I'm not ready to switch, but it's a very interesting development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back