Brake shop lets fluid stream down wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker on this great sight. I'd like opinions on what I think is a lazy and procedure to bleed brakes. While I generally do my own brake jobs, I was in a hurry to sell a car and I went to the local chain shop. This was with a low miles vehicle that admittedly had gone about 4 years between fluid swaps. The shop said they couldn't get the bleeders loose but sprayed them with penetrant. They went ahead a put on new rotors and pads. They said bring it back in a few days and they'd see if the bleeders loosened up. I got the car home and decided to check them myself, and they were easy to break loose. I immediately went back to the shop and asked them to finish the job with the fluid flush on the fronts. They seemed none to eager to finish the job. The tech put the car on the lift with the wheels on, loosened the bleeder screw, and had another tech pump the brakes, with the fluid running down the wheels. No effort was made to collect the old fluid with a bleeder hose and collection bottle. When I asked them about the mess they were making all over the shop and lift (not to mention my wheels), they said they just hose everything down at the end of the day and it goes into the grease trap. I'm concerned this practice will result in damage to the wheel clear coat as well as any other painted surfaces of the car it may splash on once the wheels start spinning. I've never seen such a sloppy practice. Is this common? Opinions please.

Last edited:
Seems kinda lazy. I could see it dripping down a backing plate or caliper but to get it on your wheels is unprofessional.

When I splice rusted out brake lines I cut them and they drip, which is dirty for the garage floor but not too bad for the car's paint, despite warnings to the contrary. Of course it's underhood paint and not the clearcoat finish.

That's why I like to watch them work on the vehicle to catch stuff like this. Good reason to never go back there. Where in Ohio and what chain store? PM is fine.

That is why I make every effort possible to avoid having people touch my car. Most people just don't care about your stuff.

It's the Monroe Muffler shop at the corner of Hard Rd. and Smoky Row Rd. in Columbus/Worthington, OH area. I appreciate the replies confirming my perception of this sloppy workmanship. I'm not saying all Monroe shops do this, but this one did.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
That is why I make every effort possible to avoid having people touch my car. Most people just don't care about your stuff.

This x 1000 million.

I just bought a new car, and am considering doing all DIY maintenance despite voiding the warranty... Maybe. Incompetence runs high.

If a shop ever did this to my vehicle, I'd not only expect them to clean the wheels and tires, but I'd be telling them that if the paint on those wheels starts to fail in the next few months or if there's any visible rubber damage to the tire sidewalls where the fluid hit, they're paying for it.

That would not make me happy, but if no visible damage was done I would not worry about it.

I am super paranoid about getting brake fluid on stuff, yet I have - and have not yet had any damage. I would obviously try to avoid it.

My former trusted mechanic was extremely careful whenever he did any work around the brake/clutch system. When he top off brake reservoir after doing the brake pad, he had half a dozen rags around the reservoir to catch any accidentally spilled drop of brake fluid.

This guy seems to be more careful than myself. Unfortunately he moved to other city.

Typical, lazy, and unprofessional. More reasons for me to do my own work. Although I must admit I found another local shop that seems to be fair and does nice work for those occasional jobs I don't have the time for. Hopefully the owner stays that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back