Break-in additives and new engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

I recently bought a brand new car (N55 equipped BMW), and wishing to keep it in the best shape possible I dumped the factory fill of oil after around 30 miles, in an effort to get rid of any debris in there from the initial bedding-in of the piston rings.

Only now, after having done that am I wondering whether I've inadvertently dumped some break-in additives with the factory fill, or whether these generally aren't used any more, due to BMW's 20,000 mile/2 year OCIs and smaller tolerances in modern engines? And therefore whether it's worth getting a break-in additive to put in myself, or whether that will do more harm than good.

I also plan to change the oil again at 1200miles, at the end of the period that BMW say to keep RPMS below around 4000-4500, which presumably is the full break in period for everything to bed in.

After that, from what I've read here and on other forums I was thinking of going to a 7500mile OCI, as seemingly BMW's own 20,000 mile/2 year OCI is too much even for the best current oils, due to high fuel dilution and high oil temps in this engine.

Any help/advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Russ

Last edited:
You'll be fine! Fill it with the mfg. spec oil, and follow BMW break in recommendations and you're GTG. The only problem you'll have is riling up some of the members here for dumping the FF early.
smile.gif

Enjoy your new ride!!

Too late; You did it now!

What oil went in? This is a largish sump is it not?

And expensive proposition with no perceived benefit?

Thanks for the reply!

Is there any issue with dumping the FF early? I thought I was doing good, and suspected that break-in additives wouldn't be used in an oil that BMW intend to keep in there for 20,000 miles, but then after dropping the oil I started second-guessing myself.

I have filled up with the BMW recommended Castrol FST 0W30 though (German Castrol here in the UK), so hopefully all is OK. It's just hard to know what to do for the best.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Too late; You did it now!

What oil went in? This is a largish sump is it not?

And expensive proposition with no perceived benefit?

Indeed, too late! I'm not worried about it being wasted cash - in my head I'm getting rid of any initial rubbish from the first running of the engine and bedding in of the rings, so I'm fine with that. I just don't want to be doing anything detrimental to the engine if it did happen to need break-in additives, and then I'd be asking what I can use/add to help that.

It is indeed a large sump - usually quoted at 7 quarts. There is also an oil cooler, which I doubt would have drained during the change. I added approx 6 litres and the oil computer shows the max mark (no dipstick on these motors either).

Edit: Castrol FST 0W30 Fully Synth (also known as GC on here I believe) went in, which is BMW's recommended fill, and I think what they use themselves.

Last edited:
While the factory fill oil is probably nothing special, there were likely some assembly lubes applied to the engine during manufacturing that may have had some benefit during initial break-in period.

The topic of how soon to dump factory fill oil comes up here often, and never gets any consensus. People do what helps them sleep better at night, and that's OK.

IMO, there wasn't much benefit to dumping this oil after only 30 miles, but probably no harm either.

Congrats on the new ride. Which model is it?

From the arm chair here I don't think they use any additives. Break in additives are meant for short use pretty much by definition. When I bought my new Prius I changed oil at a couple hundred miles, and I could see metal glitter in the oil in sunlight. I don't see any studies of bearing shell scoring with the early change way or the factory leave it in way, but common sense says metal glitter visible to the naked eye is not good for bearing shells.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
While the factory fill oil is probably nothing special, there were likely some assembly lubes applied to the engine during manufacturing that may have had some benefit during initial break-in period.

The topic of how soon to dump factory fill oil comes up here often, and never gets any consensus. People do what helps them sleep better at night, and that's OK.

IMO, there wasn't much benefit to dumping this oil after only 30 miles, but probably no harm either.

Congrats on the new ride. Which model is it?

Thanks Pete. It's an M135i - the hatch version of the M235i that you guys have in the US.

I actually had a 135i coupe (N54 motor) before this, and the new M135i is even nicer than that was, especially with the fantastic 8 speed auto (my first ever auto box).

Originally Posted By: TheRuss
Thanks for the reply!

Is there any issue with dumping the FF early? I thought I was doing good, and suspected that break-in additives wouldn't be used in an oil that BMW intend to keep in there for 20,000 miles, but then after dropping the oil I started second-guessing myself.

I have filled up with the BMW recommended Castrol FST 0W30 though (German Castrol here in the UK), so hopefully all is OK. It's just hard to know what to do for the best.
Did the factory tell you to dump it early? Do you know more than the guys who built it?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
From the arm chair here I don't think they use any additives. Break in additives are meant for short use pretty much by definition. When I bought my new Prius I changed oil at a couple hundred miles, and I could see metal glitter in the oil in sunlight. I don't see any studies of bearing shell scoring with the early change way or the factory leave it in way, but common sense says metal glitter visible to the naked eye is not good for bearing shells.
So this is something the factory engineers never considered?

Originally Posted By: TheRuss
Thanks for the reply!

I see now problems at all, ZERO. I'm from the dump it early old school camp too. But rather not get involved in slugging it out with anyone, I have a busy day today.
wink.gif
No worries.

Drive it in good health!

You didn't dump break in additives. I know the mixture of what BMW uses on their bearings and bores during assy and it has nothing to do with the oil, its washed away in just a few minutes.
I like the plan and would stick to it.
Those of the opinion that you are dumping the factory fill too early are not paying for the car or the oil.

I've not read anywhere that BMW uses specific additives in the factory fill. But, as mentioned, assembly lubes sometimes serve the same purpose as these additives and are asked to be left in for a certain time period to assist in break-in. Honda comes to mind. They ardently ask that the FF be left in for break-in. But being clueless about BMW's....I don't know if it matters or not. Maybe some BMW message board might be better able to answer this....or an email to the manufacturer?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Did the factory tell you to dump it early? Do you know more than the guys who built it?

No, they tell me to keep the same oil in for 20,000 miles/2 years...

However, they also offer service plans and have responsibilities to the environment, so it's in their financial interest and interests of their reputation to get as much from each oil fill as possible. They couldn't care less how well my engine runs and how long it lasts, as long as it doesn't completely break down and makes it out of the warranty period.

Originally Posted By: Trav
You didn't dump break in additives. I know the mixture of what BMW uses on their bearings and bores during assy and it has nothing to do with the oil, its washed away in just a few minutes.
I like the plan and would stick to it.
Those of the opinion that you are dumping the factory fill too early are not paying for the car or the oil.

Great stuff - thanks Trav, you've really put my mind to rest.

In all likelihood I'll change the car within 10 years and under 100,000 miles, likely around the 6 year mark perhaps, and probably not even hitting 60,000 miles, so for me I just want to ensure the car has best performance and runs as well as possible whilst I have it.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
So this is something the factory engineers never considered?

What engineers? The powertrain engineers have little input as to the OCI interval. Sure they spec the baseline but after that other depts tweak it depending on the market the car will be sold in.
Engineering is usually only consulted again when the whole thing goes awry and problems occur under warranty.
The truth is if you disregard the maintenance cost, environmental, and fuel economy parts of the equation and concentrate on engine wear and longevity then yes you could very possibly know better than the "guys" that made it

Yep! The break in additives are for the minutes of operation. Don't forget the rest of the fluids. Enjoy the new BMW.

Exactly my thoughts.

I always modify my cars in one way or another, and my non-car guy friends always ask why, but at the end of the day the manufacturer has to build the car to a cost. They haven't necessarily used the absolute best part available for every part of the car, even if you're buying a top end supercar.

That's why upgrade parts even exist for top end cars. Everything is built around a budget.

BMW have apparently now changed oil supplier to Shell, but from what I gather on these forums (and others) the Shell oils aren't generally regarded as highly as the Castrol ones.

Again you could argue "so you know better than the engineers then", but the decision to change all oils to Shell was almost certainly made due to Shell offering BMW a better deal than Castrol did on this occasion, not because all BMWs past and present will suddenly be better off on Shell oils.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Yep! The break in additives are for the minutes of operation. Don't forget the rest of the fluids. Enjoy the new BMW.

What other fluids? Anything else I need to look at any time soon?

I'm having a Quaife differential fitted soon, so will do my own maintenance on that once it's in (and fit a magnetic oil plug), but the auto tranny is something I'm not sure I should be touching!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back