Rust in a fuel tank - how much is a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a used 50-something gallon fuel transfer tank I'm going to use for diesel. It's got a little bit of rust on the inside. Nothing major, doesn't look like it's flaking off or clogging anything, just some surface rust.

I'm wondering how big of deal this is? The tank has a filter/pump mounted to it, I think it's 10 micron. How hard is it to filter out rust? Will I have a problem with it clogging filters or getting through a 10 micron? I don't want to end up clogging the filters on my trucks, or worse.

I could spend a bunch of time/money with something like Evaporust to clean the tank, but do I really need to? I'll keep it full of fuel most of the time so the rust shouldn't really get any worse.

I'd be far more concerned with what that garbage can do to your injectors. If it were me, I'd hit it with the Evaporust, and maybe one of the preferred tank coatings.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Fill to the brim with apple cider vinegar, leave overnight and when you pour it out the next day all e rust comes with it!

50 gallons of apple cider vinegar????

Originally Posted By: JC1
Fill to the brim with apple cider vinegar, leave overnight and when you pour it out the next day all e rust comes with it!

Yeah, while certainly effective, it's probably not practical to buy 50 gallons.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: JC1

Yeah, while certainly effective, it's probably not practical to buy 50 gallons.

It's a great idea IMO and probably 5 gallons would do, but the barrel would have to be rotated on its side for few days to cover everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back