alternator- new or remanufactured?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be needing a new alternator soon for the Chevy in my sig below. With codes from Advance Auto I can get a reman. for $65 or a new version of same for about $10 more. Which to get?

I'd go 'new' every time.
For 10.00 more you get peace of mind.

But what exactly would you be buying, an OEM part ? ? ?
If OEM, it could be 20 years old.
I guess for an Alternator that might be ok.
I'd be hesitant if it were like a brake caliper (that was 20 years old).

I saw on RockAuto that they sell 'remanufactured OEM parts.
If I had to buy remanufactured, that's the way I'd go.

Which ever way you go, being a '95, it's probably easy enough to change.

New may be Made in China junk if non-OEM. Reman could be OEM fixed well or poorly.

I think with that age vehicle parts QA goes down as likelyhood of comebacks is low since expected ownership is considerably lower on average.

I took my 26 year old, 450,000km Bosch unit to my local autospark. I wanted it re-built but he wanted to sell me a new one. The new Bosch unit was about $50 cheaper than the re-build.

I asked him how long my own unit would last if rebuilt and he said probably as long as it did the first time. He wasn't particularly confident about the longevity of the new units. He thought I was mad paying extra for the rebuild, but when I explained how long I expected to keep the car for and how often I'd be way out in the middle of nowhere, he changed his mind.

New diodes, slip rings & bearings and it should last longer than the car.

I have a problem with the bulk re-manufacturers who sell through chain stores, so I always seek out the old-school tradesman who will do the rebuild for me. Costs more, but I've universally had better service and better results.

Support your *local* tradie!

Last edited:
I'd get the reman. You most likely have a CS-130 which is in every GM made in a 20 year span, more or less. (There are a bunch of different part numbers but it's just mounting ears in different spots.) The rebuilders "know" these and stuff like the bearings and diode packs are common enough they know where to skimp and where to focus their quality control.

Spend the extra and get the new unless you have a person locally who can do a quality rebuild.
Every rebuilt alternator that I have ever purchased has been returned at least once because of malfunction.

Take it to your local Auto Electric shop and support a local person trying to feed his family...and get a better alternator to boot

If you do it yourself buy the best that you can afford if u plan on keeping the vehicle, the money you save on labor offsets the cost.

If u take it to a garage, they buy the cheapest they can find and mark up the part plus charge you labor.

I have better luck out of NAPA electricals than advance. YMMV

I took one to my local Auto Electric shop, figuring I'd be better off because, you know, if he gyps me he'll go out of business; that died about 2 months later.

Next one was a new one, manufactured in China. I took that off after several months to replace the diodes, as it was noisy through the radio since it was new. It's fine now.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Take it to your local Auto Electric shop and support a local person trying to feed his family...and get a better alternator to boot

+1.

Plus: Cheaper than the rebuild. You know the part fits. I've got over 80,000 miles on a rebuild from our local guy. He's done the alternator on both Volvo's and the truck.

The new one is not going to be OEM. It'll be a Chinese part. I replaced the alternator in my Explorer over the summer. No rebuild kits available locally. Not like the old days. I thought it was the rectifier/diode, can get a Motorcraft one from ebay for $20. But would have to wait.

A rebuilder wanted $200 and 10 day turn around.
Advance auto had a rebuilt Motorcraft or a 'new' Chinese unit. I bought the rebuilt/reman unit. Came with lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I have encountered too many problems with reman alternators to trust them anymore. Toss out the extra 10 and get new.

+ 1 for the above comment. Or just repair your alternator yourself.

Between utterly out of spec new parts and horrible "rebuilt" quality of parts I encountered I would rebuild it yourself or take it to a tradesman who knows what he is doing and have him rebuild it right.
Nothing like original factory parts.

I had such problems with NAPA new alternators that I went to reman. Even they admitted there are issues.

They are all made in China now.

In 2002 or 3 I got a Napa new alternator for my 96 explorer and it still puts out 14.7 under the highest load at idle. Made in the USA, still have the box. I heard it was made in the same facility that supplied Ford. I believe it. The original alternator lasted till 115K, and it just needs a front bearing (didn't want to mess with a blind puller). It didn't have sudden - 0 Voltage- diode or electrical failures like the Chinese Junk.

At least NAPA has a lifetime warranty, take a pic of your receipt, email it to yourself and you are always covered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back