oil filter end cap wrench slip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had bought one of these at az because I couldn't get the filter off my trans am. It was sliping on the filter. Turns out the rachet's drive was poking thru too far preventing the cap from fully inserting on the filter. You have to put the cap adapter on the filter first, then insert the wrench while holding the adapter tight against the end of the filter. Then torque off.

I bought cheap oil filter cap wrench for my E430 more than 10 years ago, it's the same as yours. I put the filter cap wrench on first then insert the rachet. It's a little inconvenience but it works okay.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I had bought one of these at az because I couldn't get the filter off my trans am. It was sliping on the filter. Turns out the rachet's drive was poking thru too far preventing the cap from fully inserting on the filter. You have to put the cap adapter on the filter first, then insert the wrench while holding the adapter tight against the end of the filter. Then torque off.

Good observation. With my current filters I've noticed I have to push the end cap wrench on quite hard to prevent slipping (WIX filter on a Honda V6). But you're probably right, if I put the end filter wrench on first it'd probably be fine.

I ran into this with a recently purchased Kubota. Finally got it off with the use of sandpaper.

The PO proudly told me he took it to the dealer for Kubota branded everything. Meanwhile, the oil filter was on so tight, it was dented 5 places in a 360* fashion.

Got a couple pairs of these lying around, they work pretty well too:
ProductPopU...it-Gloves-Large

What about those Channel Lock type filter wrenches, turtlevette? I only started with them a few years ago. Of course, they work best if you have the space, and not all vehicles do, but at least they work with large and small filters and get one heck of a bite. If you can grab the filter with it, it's pretty much going to come off, and there is enough leverage.

Had an older F250, first time I changed the oil the filter was so tight I ended up using a very large channel lock style oil filter tool. Worked great, though. Even a screw driver through the can didn't work, was just tearing the metal.

Originally Posted By: Garak
What about those Channel Lock type filter wrenches, turtlevette? I only started with them a few years ago. Of course, they work best if you have the space, and not all vehicles do, but at least they work with large and small filters and get one heck of a bite. If you can grab the filter with it, it's pretty much going to come off, and there is enough leverage.

Everything other than an end cap wrench will crush the filter. Once you start crushing it, your looking at hours rather than minutes to remove.

If I ever get into a super tight one again, I'll just rtv the end cap adapter on the filter.

How much room you have there? With the F-150, the rubber strap ones do a nice job and give the leverage, with some nice even pressure around the filter, without crushing, and they don't slip like mad either. The downside is, of course, they don't fit into certain places very well at all.

I crushed my filter with those rubber strap ones. But it was an extreme case where the grease monkey must have wrenched it on.

Yep, that would have to be one of those cases. I have very rarely crushed a filter, not that it usually matters too much, provided it's not crushed like a beer can or something outrageous.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Don't use those stupid cap wrenches, they suck.

You sir have obviously never tried a FloTool Super Graphite.

You haven't lived until you've tried a FloTool Super Graphite.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

What year Trans Am. I have one of those metal strap wrenches for mine. Works great!

Strap ones are fine if the design of the car allows you to place the wrench all the way down around the base of the filter. It is hard to crush a filter there because of the base plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back