The one thing I've learned about Kroger gas....

Status
Not open for further replies.
...is to avoid it!

I'm pretty close to a couple Kroger gas stations. One can't really go wrong with the fuel rewards either. When gas was up "there", it was nice to save 20-60 cents a gallon!

But after a little while, I started to notice things. For whatever reason, my Cobalt tends to be picky about gas. Give it the wrong stuff, it runs and idles like poop for a while. Throw in some top tier, happy as a clam! Our other two would care less what you used.....

Then about 4 months ago, all the cars starting having idle and power issues. Throwing in some fuel cleaner helped, but only for a while. thought it was a little odd, so I figured it was time for a change. Our local shell takes fuel points too (only 10 cents), so for the last few months, I started taking the Cobalt there. Also threw in some BP gas here and there as well. With some success, the other two followed, and no Kroger gas as been in these cars the last two months, only shell or BP.

Things I've noticed: 1-all 3 idle and run much better. No need for fuel cleaner. 2-Mileage is up. The Balt is now up about 3 MPGs from where it was a while ago. Other two up about 1.5. 3-All live on a healthy diet of 87-nothing higher

I thought maybe it was just my station, but I have tried other locations with the same issues. So, not sure what is up with Kroger gas. Used Meijer's a while back, but it seemed fine at the time.

Not some if it is a top tier or a better gas one, but I plan to stick with either Shell or BP for a while... Figured that I would share.

There are many problems with California but gas quality isn't one of them.

One of the lowest gas price in So Cal is USA Gas, I filled up there most of the time the last 6-7 years because it was closest and most convenience, all my cars didn't have any performance problem.

Since we moved to a new house about a year ago, Costco is now close enough so that I filled up at Costco most of the time now and no problem.

I stick mainly to Costco too, it's top tier and no problems. If I am not near the Costco by the house, there are no shortages of Shell and QTs stations around here so I still use top tier. As a bonus, I never have to buy any fuel system cleaner!

For whatever reason, some vehicles suffer more than others if they don't use top tier gas.

I have had the same exact issue as you have had.
All three cars started doing what yours were doing.
I then started back on Shell and Sunoco and in three to four fill ups things got back to normal.

The Honda Accord took the biggest beating.

Anyway, I totally agree with you guys. Top Tier, at least at Esso and Shell near me, runs much better in my Fit.

I have tracked MPG since purchase.

I loose pretty close to ~1L/100km when I use garbage fuel.

Folks, saving pennies on the gallon is totally not worth it IMO.

The extra detergent is there, and it helps a lot.

I also notice that if I use Top Tier for a whole OCI, the oil is very clean as well.

I used to feel that way about gasoline,but lately I notice that gas is gas. There's no way to know where the Shell or Exxon convenience store is getting their fuel. When you think you're paying for top on the line stuff,the guy who owns the Shell or Exxon quickie mart may be using the cheapest stuff and laughing all the way to the bank.

Some cars are just touchy about gas.
I had a Chevrolet Nova (Toyota) one that would literally sound like a popcorn popper if I put BP in it. My Ex Fiancee also had the same car and it would do the same on BP. Put anything else in (even the cheapest swill that could be found) and it would quiet down and idle smoothly.
Basically with me gas is gas unless an issue develops. I am down to one tank a month vs. eight. The last two fillups in the Accord have been from Turkey Hill. The car runs fine without issue.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
When you think you're paying for top on the line stuff,the guy who owns the Shell or Exxon quickie mart may be using the cheapest stuff and laughing all the way to the bank.

I don't know how it is in the States, but that wouldn't fly here. Audits are conducted often enough on non-company-owned stations that they know exactly how much they're selling versus how much they're buying. And, if they're not buying from up the line, corporate will drop the hammer hard and fast. If it's a company owned station, well, then we know where they fuel is sourced.

Corporate wants to sell its stations its gas, for one. They don't want their Top Tier certification put at risk, either, or have their brand harmed.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
It's entirely possible that the small gas station is getting fuel right after the truck fills up a Costco ...

Yep, pretty much in fact I noticed the same generic looking truck off loading at the Shell station that fills up the Costco tanks. I'm forgetting the name at the moment. I was surprised because I thought this station was part of a syndicate of stations. Later I noticed that this syndicate must have sold off this station because it was no longer listed on their corp site. Some stations may even be corporate owned...not sure. But the small indy owner with an old dumpy station I would guess be more likely to use generic bulk fuel. I get a better feeling when I see a Shell truck off loading.

http://www.truenorth.org/

I know BP is now toptier but Shell seems to be much better as far as performance.

I started this thread recently:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3873880/Shell_Fuel#Post3873880

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
. . . there are no shortages of Shell and QTs stations around here so I still use top tier. As a bonus, I never have to buy any fuel system cleaner!

I really wish we had QT stations here in California. I go there every time I'm in Phoenix. All my cars seem to run well on their gas, it is usually among the cheapest (and it is top tier) and the stations are always clean, well stocked and I've never had to wait in line for more than a minute or so.

Originally Posted By: Benito
For whatever reason, some vehicles suffer more than others if they don't use top tier gas.

Which is strange in my case...since all three cars in the family have the same Ecotec engine!

But the Balt has always been like that since I have owned it....

Normally I am a "gas is gas" guy, but either the kroger stations are really cheap (gas wise) or the TT gas really is better...even if only a little bit.

Love the fact I haven't used fuel cleaner in a while...

My cars may be old (9-12 years old), but I do want them to run well...

I usually fill up my car at Shell or Chevron. I have filled up a few times at Fred Meyer (Kroger), and I noticed my tail pipes get covered in black soot more quickly then the other two brands. I have a DI engine and I have to keep after cleaning my tail pipes weekly.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I usually fill up my car at Shell or Chevron. I have filled up a few times at Fred Meyer (Kroger), and I noticed my tail pipes get covered in black soot more quickly then the other two brands. I have a DI engine and I have to keep after cleaning my tail pipes weekly.

Just looked at my wife's tailpipe after that....you might be on to something....

Originally Posted By: Finklejag

I see this more often with Regular vs Premium in my TGDI engine. I don't think using Safeway or Fred Meyer gas occasionally is going to hurt anything as the base gas is pretty much all the same. But without the extra cleaning additives (that are strongest in Premium) the potential long term issues aren't worth the savings plus I can use my Safeway discounts at Chevron/Texaco anyway so the price is not that different.

I've used Kroger gas in the following:

'97 Accord 2.2 5 spd
'99 Accord 2.3 5 spd
'02 Accord 2.3 automatic
'12 Accord 2.4 automatic
'95 BMW 1.8 5 spd
'97 Aerostar 3.0 automatic
'94 E350 5.8 automatic
'09 Forester 2.5 automatic
'99 Legacy AWD 2.2 automatic
.01 Focus 2.0 Ztec automatic

Never saw any difference in running or fuel economy versus top tier labeled fuel.
I frequently run top tier labeled fuel, since I pass by a Valero station on my daily commute and that station tends to be a low price leader.
In short, I've never had a problem with Kroger gas in a wide range of vehicles, all of which have had more power than a four cylinder Cobalt.
Nothing wrong with Kroger gas and this is coming from an anal-retentive accountant who tracks fuel consumption with every tank for every car.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I've used Kroger gas in the following:

'97 Accord 2.2 5 spd
'99 Accord 2.3 5 spd
'02 Accord 2.3 automatic
'12 Accord 2.4 automatic
'95 BMW 1.8 5 spd
'97 Aerostar 3.0 automatic
'94 E350 5.8 automatic
'09 Forester 2.5 automatic
'99 Legacy AWD 2.2 automatic
.01 Focus 2.0 Ztec automatic

Never saw any difference in running or fuel economy versus top tier labeled fuel.
I frequently run top tier labeled fuel, since I pass by a Valero station on my daily commute and that station tends to be a low price leader.
In short, I've never had a problem with Kroger gas in a wide range of vehicles, all of which have had more power than a four cylinder Cobalt.
Nothing wrong with Kroger gas and this is coming from an anal-retentive accountant who tracks fuel consumption with every tank for every car.

Quick question: used fuel cleaner in any of them? Though the other station might be helping there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back