VOA Super Tech 15w40 CJ-4/SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart's Super Tech 15w40 by Warren Performance Products

I bought ten (1) gallon jugs made up of two batches, made 7 days apart. This sample is a 60/40 split of the two batches (best I could just "eyeballing it"), not perfectly measured.

Date codes are W34459 13323 (made 323rd day of 2013) six jugs
And ............... W34540 13330 (made 330th day of 2013) four jugs

API CJ-4/SN

Aluminum 1

Chromium 0

Iron 1

Copper 0

Lead 1

Tin 0

Moly 41

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 2

Titanium 0

Potassium 1

Boron 3

Silicon 5

Sodium 3

Calcium 1103

Magnesium 820

Phosphorous 1026

Zinc 1203

Barium 0

SUS visc @ 210°F = 77.7

cSt @100°C = 14.95

Flashpoint °F = 455

Water = 0.0%

Insolubles = 0.0%

TBN = 10.1

TAN = 4.0

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
That's a fairly high starting TAN.

Yup...between that and the fairly high flash point, I wondered if there may be some synthetic in there. (??)

might be a viable choice for an 'alternate' oil for my motorcycle & scooter vs Shell Rotella T; a nice low moly amount (won't screw with the wet clutch on the motorcycle), nice levels of ZDDP, nice high TBN...pretty frikkin stout for $2.74/qt!

tired of paying $6-8/qt for conventional 10w-40 motorcycle oil & $10-13/qt of synthetic 10w-40 motorcycle oil...synthetic blend priced between!

I'm only planning 2000 mile OCI's on the scooter and 2500-3500 mile OCI's on the motorcycle

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
might be a viable choice for an 'alternate' oil for my motorcycle & scooter vs Shell Rotella T; a nice low moly amount (won't screw with the wet clutch on the motorcycle), nice levels of ZDDP, nice high TBN...pretty frikkin stout for $2.74/qt!

tired of paying $6-8/qt for conventional 10w-40 motorcycle oil & $10-13/qt of synthetic 10w-40 motorcycle oil...synthetic blend priced between!

I'm only planning 2000 mile OCI's on the scooter and 2500-3500 mile OCI's on the motorcycle

I hope it works for ya...I don't know how much moly you can get away with on the wet clutch.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
That's a fairly high starting TAN.

Yup...between that and the fairly high flash point, I wondered if there may be some synthetic in there. (??)

I said that because I thought syns had higher starting TAN, based on my voa of delo xle and 2010_FX's M1 5W20 voa. I looked again...they weren't quite as high as this oil's TAN. Don't see many voa with TAN so who knows what to think?

I hope it works for ya...I don't know how much moly you can get away with on the wet clutch. [/quote] some of the mc oils have this much or more. Ive been using car oils in bikes and atvs since the 70's and never had a clutch slip due to the oil. Worn out yes,oil no. Imo the moly and slipping clutch thing is as big a wives tale as pennz making sludge.

I bought this oil in wisconsin, the SN version was all they had. I was just at my local WM and they had the SN in gallon jugs and SM version in 2 gallon jugs (with december dates on them) so I wonder if they're both the same oil but using up old jugs (?) Or two different blends...?

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I said that because I thought syns had higher starting TAN,

That's not really how it works. Additive package is what typically influences starting TAN (and TBN, of course). Some of these newer additive packs have much higher starting TAN than what we have typically seen in the past.

not exactly the same stuff, but I ran AutoZone 10w-40 pcmo (a wpp product) in my previous bike, a 2009 Yamaha v star 650, as a late autumn/winter/early-mid spring oil change for @ 750 miles; I didn't experience any noticeable shifting issues once the oil got up to operating temperature (a bit notchy on cold start mornings, but I get that with my current Honda Shadow & its fill of Suzuki synthetic blend motorcycle oil)...just thought I'd share :)

Last edited:
WNE/WPP oils are as good as any name brand. No worries running them. They have no weak points versus the major brands.

Originally Posted By: salv
WNE/WPP oils are as good as any name brand. No worries running them. They have no weak points versus the major brands.

Anyone know the difference between the WNE and WPP ? Is it just different bottling locations ? Most of the bottles at my local WM are the WNE variety and the date codes start with N, whereas the WPP bottles' code start with W. Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back