Asus N-66 only 175-200 out of 300 mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.
wireless is never as fast as you connect.

just check out all the actual throughput wireless tests and you will see that's about as good as it gets.

you need to upgrade to serious wireless router and network card (on laptop) to consistently connect and achieve over 350Mbit

That being said 200Mbit is high enough.
your 20/300 is pretty crazy

the fastest available here is 5/50

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

BTW, your upload speed is faster than my download speed. Now that is depressing.
frown.gif

LOL sorry - I still rmember my 3 mbps DL says... Perhaps your ISP will also improve speeds? I know 100% sure that TWC did this due to competition from Google fiber...

---Yeah I was thinking of the wireless adapters too...could be a factor.
My wife' is old by current standards - no dual band and b/g/n (It gets to 100 mbps on wifi right now)
Mine is dual band and a/b/g/n I think... (mine still 200 mbps)

Guess I can check what max speeds of our wifi adapters are....

This is why the powerline adapter option seems better and better....I mean if my modem gets 340, why no use it??

Originally Posted By: Rand
wireless is never as fast as you connect.

just check out all the actual throughput wireless tests and you will see that's about as good as it gets.

you need to upgrade to serious wireless router and network card (on laptop) to consistently connect and achieve over 350Mbit

That being said 200Mbit is high enough.
your 20/300 is pretty crazy

the fastest available here is 5/50

I am also leaning towards wifi adapters on our laptops being a bottleneck - when we had 60 mbps the router put it 100% though (wireless)

TWC is doing this in many states right now...IDK who your provider is but if it is TWC they will do the same thing like in our state (NC)

Last edited:
Ugh - THAT is depressing to know. I guess I would have to run a LONG Cat6 cable to my laptop then
smile.gif
(as I have it currently) - will have to hide wires in a wife-pleasing way...
(I just feel it's such a waste to have 340 and use only 200)

(wife doesn't care - her laptop now gets 100 MBPS DL after fiddling with settings on router)

^ You really need to call them and MAKE a tech come out - i had to talk them MANY times to get a tech come out AT THE TIME (if it's a certain time of day) and check everything.

OMG:You really need to call them and MAKE a tech come out - i had to talk them MANY times to get a tech come out AT THE TIME (if it's a certain time of day) and check everything.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

OK so, now, a side-effect of the modem? TV loses connection...

model: TC-55AS680U
Panasonic Viera

I had my TV always WIRED directly to the router until now and all Viera apps and other apps worked just fine.

Today I got a new modem, and I reset the router and the router now works fine for other operations / items (wired or wifi)

However, since then the Viera TV loses internet connectivity. Sometimes an app or two would work for a few minutes but then suddenly not open anymore.

I have unplugged and replugged the TV and went through internet set up again. (quick/auto setup)
First I tried wired, and it finishes successfully but after a few minutes loses connection again. It shows connection to router in the graphic but says no internet connectivity.
I have rebooted the router (power cycled) since then. No luck.
Then went to MANUAL setup, and made sure all the numbers are the same as in my wifi info on my iphone (IP address, Subnet Mask, Router, DNS)- they all match.
Still the same situation. (setup finishes, shows TV is connected, but loses connection after a few minutes)

Then finally tried setting up via WIFI (not wired) - setting up works fine, but after a few minutes same thing happens. Some apps would work fine for a few minutes then suddenly choosing a different (or previous) app just never opens it, and internet connection drops. (example of apps: Weather, YouTube, Amazon streaming, etc)

I have looked everywhere but there is no option to REFRESH or UPDATE just the network settings anywhere - only the option to check network connectivity - which pretty much goes through connecting the TV again to the internet - (which I have done many times as described above)

(The Roku 3 which was also hard-wired to the same router works just fine even after modem upgrade- no changes)

What should I do at this point?
Factory reset? (I will lose all pic / audio settings)
should I also reboot the MODEM ? I have so far rebooted the ROUTER only....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
This is what I'm getting right now. Earlier today I was getting 16 down and 3.7 up. I'm paying for 20/5...

4724154705.png

Check your modem signal levels.

I was having the same problem a couple of days ago just like you are seeing now. My upload speed was faster than my download. I checked my modem signal levels, and they were between 26 and 28 which was too low. My net had been slow like that for four days. Went to Walmart, and I bought a new modem, and every thing is good to go now.

A bad modem can cause low signal level like happened to me, but it could be other things too like loose connections or just a bad cable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
OMG:You really need to call them and MAKE a tech come out - i had to talk them MANY times to get a tech come out AT THE TIME (if it's a certain time of day) and check everything.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

OK so, now, a side-effect of the modem? TV loses connection...

model: TC-55AS680U
Panasonic Viera

I had my TV always WIRED directly to the router until now and all Viera apps and other apps worked just fine.

Today I got a new modem, and I reset the router and the router now works fine for other operations / items (wired or wifi)

However, since then the Viera TV loses internet connectivity. Sometimes an app or two would work for a few minutes but then suddenly not open anymore.

I have unplugged and replugged the TV and went through internet set up again. (quick/auto setup)
First I tried wired, and it finishes successfully but after a few minutes loses connection again. It shows connection to router in the graphic but says no internet connectivity.
I have rebooted the router (power cycled) since then. No luck.
Then went to MANUAL setup, and made sure all the numbers are the same as in my wifi info on my iphone (IP address, Subnet Mask, Router, DNS)- they all match.
Still the same situation. (setup finishes, shows TV is connected, but loses connection after a few minutes)

Then finally tried setting up via WIFI (not wired) - setting up works fine, but after a few minutes same thing happens. Some apps would work fine for a few minutes then suddenly choosing a different (or previous) app just never opens it, and internet connection drops. (example of apps: Weather, YouTube, Amazon streaming, etc)

I have looked everywhere but there is no option to REFRESH or UPDATE just the network settings anywhere - only the option to check network connectivity - which pretty much goes through connecting the TV again to the internet - (which I have done many times as described above)

(The Roku 3 which was also hard-wired to the same router works just fine even after modem upgrade- no changes)

What should I do at this point?
Factory reset? (I will lose all pic / audio settings)
should I also reboot the MODEM ? I have so far rebooted the ROUTER only....

Forget about the smart tv functions, and just use the Roku because it is going to be more reliable. Basically the only thing I miss from using a smart tv is that the guides are extremely good, and that's about it.

97tbird, I apologize for hijacking your thread. I'll leave now.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I reset my modem and now I get this, Looks like twc has a problem.

4724203737.png

Well, today I got this, looks like there is some kind of bottleneck with my drop. BTW. I'm using a Motorola SB6141 that I bought a few months ago.

4726166222.png

Next time it happens check the modem power and signal levels.
192.168.100.1 paste in your web browser.

Last edited:
yep signal levels
6183.JPG

What you are looking for besides good numbers is

a low spread.. see how close the power level and signal level spread is between channels

often times if you live in an older condo it can have antique wires that were never intended for data use.

With houses its usually water intrusion or bad splitter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back